For the CFI's a total hypothetical

sferguson524

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FormerSocalFlyer
So, i like to fantasize about spending my lotto winnings. This is my fantasy, so all you poo pooers stfu. :) If i hit the powerball, i'd buy a TBM 850 to haul the family around in.. Would you CFIs fly right seat for 25 hrs dual (if it was an insurance req), for free in exchange for the turbine time?

You just hit the lottery, and then are going to find someone that will donate you 25 hours x $20-30-40 per hour to make you a safer pilot when hauling your family?

Hmmmmm.....

You just hit the lottery, and then are going to find someone that will donate you 25 hours x $20-30-40 per hour to make you a safer pilot when hauling your family?

Hmmmmm.....

The rich know how to save money. Everyone knows that's how they stay rich.

my CFI is 65/hr :) just wondering what everyone would say.. I'd be willing to trade time for time for as long as it took

Your going to need a CFI with time in type. If the instructor already has turbine time,what's the benefit?

Kind of like asking a prostitute if she would like to sleep on a clean bed in exchange for free sex.

If you won the lotto, why would you cheat the CFI?

So, i like to fantasize about spending my lotto winnings. This is my fantasy, so all you poo pooers stfu. :) If i hit the powerball, i'd buy a TBM 850 to haul the family around in.. Would you CFIs fly right seat for 25 hrs dual (if it was an insurance req), for free in exchange for the turbine time?

I'd rather spend the money hiring a CFI (with substantial time-in-type) to just fly right-seat with me as a hired pilot. I'd never fly the family around enough to feel safe with that type of plane. Why spend $4MM on a plane that probably costs what, $400/hr to operate, and then refuse to spend an extra $50/hr on a qualified pilot?

my CFI is 65/hr :) just wondering what everyone would say.. I'd be willing to trade time for time for as long as it took

Wouldn't you already have turbine time if you were a CFI that met the insurance company's requirements?

Why would anyone want a TBM? As long as you could afford to run a TBM you could buy a plane ticket and stay a couple of months anywhere in the world.

Go on my schedule.. closer to wherever we wanted to go.. And i'd rather do the driving :)

Now you'll want a TBM 900 though...

Go on my schedule.. closer to wherever we wanted to go.. And i'd rather do the driving :)

That plane and those flights are more like work than fun. Then again, since you have a qualified CFI with a low sense of self worth in the right seat, you can kick back and sip martinis the whole way I guess.

They'll come crawling out of the wood work, the question is, why in the hell would you want someone instructing you and guarding you and your family's safety that has so little experience that they would do the job for free? If I was in that position I'd be looking for the best I could find, and the best don't work for free.

Hmmmmm.....

Didn't you know the cheapest thing to do with flying is the pilot?

The rich know how to save money. Everyone knows that's how they stay rich.

:rofl::rofl: So true, yet I have personally wasted $4MM of another guys money and 9 months of his time because he was "saving money". I could have had everything done for $1MM in 4 months, but I got blocked with "This guy says he has a better, cheaper way" in the end we'd spend twice what was suggested, still didn't work, and end up spending again doing it the way I initially suggested. Nobody is smarter than the guy who has the money right? That's why he has the money and needs to micromanage it.

Oilfield lol, there's another place you see wasted billions to save a million, the BP affair in the GOM is just one example.

I hired a couple different "babysitters" when I bought my Citation, I needed 50 hours before I could fly it solo according to my insurance company. Let me assure you, the cheapest bill you will ever get on a turbine airplane is $50-75.00 per hour for a CFI. :D That being said, most of those guys get paid by the day, not sure the going rate, but I suspect it's $3-500.00 per day plus expenses if they are overnight. I had a great relationship with the two guys that flew with me, I really enjoyed flying with both of them. IF you ever win the big one, I would suggest having two pilots to make sure one is available when you want to go. :D

Not necessarily in exchange for the turbine time per se, but in exchange for the TBM school I'd have to attend before filling that role.

I have an aquaintence that fired one of the subs on his remodeling project, some minor disagreement then egos got involved. Grand opening postponed from December 15 to April 4!! All the while his company is operating out of rented trailers and tents!:mad2: Saving money isn't always the smartest thing to do. ;) I am guilty of occasionally trying to find the lowest cost way of doing something and later doing it over,:nono: I am trying to get better about that. :D

:rofl::rofl: So true, yet I have personally wasted $4MM of another guys money and 9 months of his time because he was "saving money". I could have had everything done for $1MM in 4 months, but I got blocked with "This guy says he has a better, cheaper way" in the end we'd spend twice what was suggested, still didn't work, and end up spending again doing it the way I initially suggested. Nobody is smarter than the guy who has the money right? That's why he has the money and needs to micromanage it.

Oilfield lol, there's another place you see wasted billions to save a million, the BP affair in the GOM is just one example.

If you won the lottery why would you want a turbine single? As for the babysitting part of your question, I get $1000 a day plus expenses. How many days would you like me to put you down for?

Yeah, with a big lottery payout, I'd definitely think small jet. Or at least King Air if you want a turbo-prop. :D

If you won the lottery why would you want a turbine single? As for the babysitting part of your question, I get $1000 a day plus expenses. How many days would you like me to put you down for?

Any CFI with the skills/experience necessary to give you dual in a TBM 850 probably isn't hurting for turbine time.

Any CFI with the skills/experience necessary to give you dual in a TBM 850 probably isn't hurting for turbine time.
...and the last thing you want is an inexperienced jackwad CFI trying to teach you something he doesn't know. :no:

When you climb into an airplane like that, you're starting to get into the big leagues. That's not the time to start skimping with stuff like proper training. All this world needs is one more marginal pilot in a high-performance turbine powered airplane.

Last edited:
I think we have all had this fantasy, forget the cfi I would go to a flight safety academy and get trained by them.

Not only would I do it for free. I would Pay you !

</Sarcasm>

Why would anyone want a TBM? As long as you could afford to run a TBM you could buy a plane ticket and stay a couple of months anywhere in the world.

By your logic, a business jet / turboprop would never have been sold, ever. Obviously, there are plenty of people who would put a lot of money towards a personal aircraft if they had it - Many members of this board do, and most of us would like to, given sufficient means.

I'd go with a PC12 over a TBM, but in reality it'd be a King Air and/or a HondaJet.

I'd go with a PC12 over a TBM, but in reality it'd be a King Air and/or a HondaJet.

HondaJet, really ? Interesting choice since they haven't even been certificated. If it was going to be a turbofan For me a Phenom 300 or a CJ4 For single pilot ops. But I totally agree with the King Air, brought to you by Textron.

Most of it is a waste of money and energy. No problem with that, I'm just smarter then those people. Yes there is a tiny minority that either makes more money or significantly increases their quality of life. Most of them would be better off spending their focus elsewhere, most are smart enough to realize this hence their are more vacation homes and boats sold then airplanes.
By your logic, a business jet / turboprop would never have been sold, ever. Obviously, there are plenty of people who would put a lot of money towards a personal aircraft if they had it - Many members of this board do, and most of us would like to, given sufficient means.

Me personally I wouldn't sit right seat for that much time. I would do it once or twice for the fun of it. But remembering back when I was instructing full time, you would easily CFIs that would do it for free. I have seen friends stab each other in the back for free multi time flying right seat with someone that wanted another pilot with them.

Most of it is a waste of money and energy. No problem with that, I'm just smarter then those people. Yes there is a tiny minority that either makes more money or significantly increases their quality of life. Most of them would be better off spending their focus elsewhere, most are smart enough to realize this hence their are more vacation homes and boats sold then airplanes.

TBM 850 - 5 million dollars
Babysitter pilot - $600/day

Not catching a cold from a stranger or getting to second base w a TSA agent - priceless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TBM 850 - 5 million dollars
Babysitter pilot - $600/day

Not catching a cold from a stranger or getting to second base w a TSA agent - priceless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why fly to a schedule if you can afford 5 million bucks in a little plane? Netjets card and instead of buzzing around for a few days here and there spend a month. Or two. The fast plane only makes sense if you need to be at work on Monday and still want to see nice places. You could choose to live in those nice places instead of owning the TBM.

A TMB is SUCH a great airplane. It will haul piano across the country, in the flight levels with a couple people on board. It's on the list for "next airplane" for us, most definitely.
Why fly to a schedule if you can afford 5 million bucks in a little plane? Netjets card and instead of buzzing around for a few days here and there spend a month. Or two. The fast plane only makes sense if you need to be at work on Monday and still want to see nice places. You could choose to live in those nice places instead of owning the TBM.

Even one of NetJets smallest airplanes available is $100 per minute ($6,000 per hour)

...and the last thing you want is an inexperienced jackwad CFI trying to teach you something he doesn't know. :no:

When you climb into an airplane like that, you're starting to get into the big leagues. That's not the time to start skimping with stuff like proper training. All this world needs in one more marginal pilot in a high-performance turbine powered airplane.

I'm a CFI and I'm in no position to teach anyone how to safely operate their TBM or something similar.

When you climb into an airplane like that, you're starting to get into the big leagues. That's not the time to start skimping with stuff like proper training. All this world needs in one more marginal pilot in a high-performance turbine powered airplane.

They put 20-year olds with 150 hours behind the wheel of 2,000hp fire-breathing war machines back in the day.

Sink or swim, if you familiarize yourself with the craft, it's systems, and are a decent pilot at the end of the day it's still just an airplane. Also lack of training in a specific type does not make someone a marginal pilot, it makes them inexperienced in that specific type.

If I had enough money for a TBM I wouldn't worry about a CFI. I'd spend my first 50 hours flying around by myself enjoying it and then call up the insurance company and insure my airplane since I now have 50 hours of TBM time.

edit: I'd actually probably take Jesse with me so I could shoot a few approaches under the hood. I guess I technically would have a CFI with me.

Last edited:
Back