"For that price. . shouldn't be gold plated?!"

$8,200 to OH a Prop and Gov?

• Total voters

malcoholio

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Malcoholio
That's what my partner asked when I told him we has an $8,100 bill coming for a propeller and governor overhaul.

Only had 900 hours on both, but (apparently) because the engine was making metal, both had to be overhauled. Both? The governor I get, by why the prop? Nothing special here, Just a Hartzell 3-Blade Scimitar.

School the newbie here. Does $6,200 for a prop overhaul and $1,900 for the governor sound about right?

Thanks, just need to convince my wife that a gold-plated propeller counts as an investment in gold.

-M

that's almost what I paid for overhaul + a new hub.

but (apparently) because the engine was making metal, both had to be overhauled.
I think you were poorly advised. An IRAN (inspect and repair as necessary) should have been adequate, and cheaper... no need to remove life from the prop blades.

The governor I get, by why the prop?
Engine oil enters the back of the prop to control the blade angle. If there's metal in that oil, it can contaminate the internals of the prop. Hence the necessity to open and clean... but an IRAN would have been adequate AFAIK.

Only had 900 hours on both
And how many years? Typically, the overhaul/reseal recommendations are both hours in service and years since last opened.

Paul

you might just confirm the cost if you did the gold plating, might make you feel better about the $8.2K;)

My buddies 182 prop was lightly leaking oil. He said a overhaul was $7800. he was told his hubs were slightly undersized and all new was $9800. He decided to go with new. It took several months to get it.

I think you were poorly advised. An IRAN (inspect and repair as necessary) should have been adequate, and cheaper... no need to remove life from the prop blades.

Engine oil enters the back of the prop to control the blade angle. If there's metal in that oil, it can contaminate the internals of the prop. Hence the necessity to open and clean... but an IRAN would have been adequate AFAIK.

And how many years? Typically, the overhaul/reseal recommendations are both hours in service and years since last opened.

Paul

Agree. I would have preferred an IRAN, maybe a communications breakdown between my AP& and I.

Good point on the time, it's been over 10 years since new. My poll is showing (14/4) that the pricing is reasonable, so I just need to get over it.

:D

Definitely should have done an Iran instead of a full overhaul. I had mine done a couple years ago, checked everything over, refinished the prop blades, installed new seals, and included new hardware for $2,200.

New Scimitar for my ride is $11k. If you are around that delta, I’d just buy new and sell the old one for whatever you can get.

I guess I have a different view. I would have overhauled both the prop and Governor.

Back