For sleepy "Rotorheads"

Keith Lane

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Keith Lane
"Most people don't like to get up in the morning. That is why they made the snooze-button on the alarmclock. When the clock starts the annoying sound you just hit it and it shuts up.
But you need to get up for work on time, so here is the perfect alarm clock for those of us who would rather would stay in bed.
On the top of the clock there is a propeller that will fly of when it's time to get up. The only way to stop the noise from the clock is to get out of bed, catch the propeller and put it back on top of the clock."

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/26/buzzing-copter-inspired-blowfly-alarm-clock-goes-on-sale/

"Most people don't like to get up in the morning. That is why they made the snooze-button on the alarmclock. When the clock starts the annoying sound you just hit it and it shuts up.
But you need to get up for work on time, so here is the perfect alarm clock for those of us who would rather would stay in bed.
On the top of the clock there is a propeller that will fly of when it's time to get up. The only way to stop the noise from the clock is to get out of bed, catch the propeller and put it back on top of the clock."

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/26/buzzing-copter-inspired-blowfly-alarm-clock-goes-on-sale/

Since it screeches, it wouldn't get my attention. Now if it made a nice whining sound overlaid with "foop-foop-foop-foop-etc", now that would get my attention :yes:

Heh... Cool.

I used to be a snooze abuser, and it got worse when I got an alarm clock with not only a snooze button, but also an "alarm off" button. I actually got to the point where I could whack the alarm off button without ever actually waking up! :eek:

I found a better solution: I have an alarm clock that starts almost inaudibly quiet, and gradually crescendos over several minutes. That way, I can wake up slowly without the jolt of the loud buzzer, and I can actually sit there and listen to the beep beep beep for a minute before I need to hit the snooze button. That helps me to get awake fully before I decide whether or not to hit the snooze, and if I don't have time for the extra few minutes, I sit up before I turn the sound off. Works like a charm. :yes:

Heh... Cool.

I used to be a snooze abuser, and it got worse when I got an alarm clock with not only a snooze button, but also an "alarm off" button. I actually got to the point where I could whack the alarm off button without ever actually waking up! :eek:
That's nothing. I once had an alarm that was a foot across with two big bells on top and a clanger. I put it across the room, where I had to physically get out of bed to get to it. It was loud, too! Anyways, on more than one occasion, I got up, walked over, turned it off, and crawled back into bed, and never remembered doing it when I actually got up so 30 minutes to an hour later!:hairraise:

That's nothing. I once had an alarm that was a foot across with two big bells on top and a clanger. I put it across the room, where I had to physically get out of bed to get to it. It was loud, too! Anyways, on more than one occasion, I got up, walked over, turned it off, and crawled back into bed, and never remembered doing it when I actually got up so 30 minutes to an hour later!:hairraise:

It's a little embarrassing when you're a Paramedic and you do that to your pager. :eek:

BTDT. :redface:

That right there is a pretty accurate description of just about every morning for me. In fact, there are many days where I don't think I'm actually "awake" until well after I've gotten out of the shower... It's freaky getting to the point of putting on my shoes and seriously not being able to remember at all whether or not I'd put on deodorant, brushed my teeth, or showered at all. It's like 20-30 minutes of my morning (almost every morning) just vanishes. Weird.

That right there is a pretty accurate description of just about every morning for me. In fact, there are many days where I don't think I'm actually "awake" until well after I've gotten out of the shower... It's freaky getting to the point of putting on my shoes and seriously not being able to remember at all whether or not I'd put on deodorant, brushed my teeth, or showered at all. It's like 20-30 minutes of my morning (almost every morning) just vanishes. Weird.
But for gosh sake, PLEASE don't forget to put on your pants! :)

I'm pretty bad--but not quite that bad. The biggest problem for me is I often forget if I washed my hair or not and probably end up doing it two or three times.

Same here. Was really bad in high school, to the point that I thought my alarm clock was broken. I got to the point that I would set multiple alarms (still do) and set them far enough away from the bed that I have to get out of bed. Basic setup right now is cell phone right beside bed, alarm clock on the other side of the room, each set 5 minutes apart from each other. Works out pretty good minus my snoozing.

As I have gotten older, I've found waking up has gotten easier. I used to have 3 alarms - on opposite sides of the room. I would leave stuff on the floor that I knew would stick my feet and make me yelp in pain, or trip me so I'd fall.

I got to the point where I could navigate, in my sleep, between the objects and hit all three snooze buttons and get back to bed. So I'd add another alarm and rearrange me room.

Now, one alarm and 2 hits of the snooze button and I'm awake.

BTDT. Our alarm clock is halfway across the room, about 8' away from my side of the bed. I can get up, walk over, shut off the alarm, get back into bed, and go back to sleep. My wife can even yell at me, I'll go right back to sleep.

... and I don't even remember it. It's amazing.

Cheers,

-Andrew

BTDT. Our alarm clock is halfway across the room, about 8' away from my side of the bed. I can get up, walk over, shut off the alarm, get back into bed, and go back to sleep. My wife can even yell at me, I'll go right back to sleep.

... and I don't even remember it. It's amazing.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Y'know, I wonder if I can get a grant to study this... Hmm... :D

So, people with messy bedrooms might never get it to turn off because they can't find the spinny thingie.

How about 2 alarm clocks? One sensible one next to the bed. One rigged up to an air raid siren in the other room set for 15 minutes after the first one goes off.

Or better yet, just go to bed at a sensible hour so you're ready to get up in the morning before the alarm goes off. The best part of the day is just before sunset until about 10am then you have the entire day ahead of you.

I'm pretty bad--but not quite that bad. The biggest problem for me is I often forget if I washed my hair or not and probably end up doing it two or three times.
Ha! Same here, but I don't think I've gone past twice ... of course, there's not that much left to wash any more ...

Back