? for rotorheads

Mc Fly

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Sean
Can you land a chopper in a residential area? Any requirements (besides not presenting danger to other people/property?)? Does it have to be a designated or approved zone?:dunno:

The FAA's only concern is whether it presents a hazard to others, but they still may get involved if anyone complains (see Administrator v. Egger). However, state, local, and municipal statutes, ordinances, and regulations (including zoning) may prohibit such a landing, so you have to check very carefully with every level of government that may have jurisdiction over the particular site, even if it's private property. In addition, you have to check your insurance policy to see what limits it places on operations it covers.

Mc Fly said:
Can you land a chopper in a residential area? Any requirements (besides not presenting danger to other people/property?)? Does it have to be a designated or approved zone?:dunno:
I agree with most of what Ron said, but our insurance on the R22 and R44 (different companies) doesn't restrict where you land in any way.

States vary enormously. Here in PA, if there is no local law prohibiting helicopter operations, you can land just about anywhere with the permission of the landowner. There is no requirement that you land on a designated helipad. On the other hand, in New Jersey you about need an act of god and the Pope's blessing to land off airport.

Besides what you asked, there is always the question of whether a safe approach (and departure) can be made where you want to operate. That means you gotta pay attention to trees, wires, and other obstacles coming in, and be able to land without a dangerously steep approach. Same for getting back out again, but more so :yes:

Bob,
This is in Virginia Beach,VA. A friend's neighbor. He doesn't mind because it is just once in a great while. I was surprised because the landing area is very small and tall trees are all around except for just one end (like a horseshoe). Not a lot of room for error.

As all have said, check and make sure it's not an issue.

On top of that, think about safety.

Once upon a time, a fellow pilot in the Guard talked me into picking him up as his house (maybe it was drop him off) and I said sure. When we got there, turned out he was in a developed subdivision and pointed to where I could put down in a cul-de-sac, which I did. The stupidity of what I did, in an OH-58 (Jet Ranger) didn't hit me until I saw kids start running over toward us as he got out. He did manage to catch the ones I saw, but I had no visibility to the rear. Kid could have run into the tail rotor and it wouldn't have mattered if landing was permitted or not.

Just my 2c

Best,

Dave

Good point, Dave. Helicopters don't have rear view mirrors and you can't see someone approaching from the rear.

Note to everybody:

Never, ever approach a helicopter from any direction but the front where the pilot can see you. To do otherwise is to risk getting sliced and diced...

Oh yeah, and don't assume that the blades will stay where they currently are. A gust of wind can cause them to flap, and if you're standing straight up, you can get sliced and diced that way too :hairraise:

Back