For anyone ever considering lying on your medical...

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
...check today's AOPA email:
PILOT SENTENCED TO JAIL FOR LYING ON MEDICAL APPLICATION
Ronald Crews was sentenced on March 20 to 16 months in federal prison and two years of supervised release after pleading guilty in 2007 to four counts of making false statements to a federal agency, according to the District of Massachusetts U.S. Attorney's Office. Crews had lied to the FAA about his diabetes and dependence on insulin injections.
Honesty is always the best policy.

Yikes! Not that I condone that, but 16 months and 2 years seems a little steep, no?

attachment.php

Attachments

4.9 KB · Views: 573
Yikes! Not that I condone that, but 16 months and 2 years seems a little steep, no?
He passed out. Passenger landed the plane. Massive disregard for the safety of his passengers. He may be charged only with lying, but we are all just really lucky no one died.
One of the four passengers, Melanie Oswalt, landed the plane safely at Provincetown Airport, even though its landing gear didn't extend and the airport was closed.
Oswalt was a Cape Air security supervisor who was a pilot-in-training with just 48 hours flying experience.

He had a long history of AME shopping and misrepresenting his medical condition on many different occasions. He had a history of becoming disoriented, including at least one occasion just prior to takeoff, but he still took off.

IMO, nailing him for lying is akin to busting Al Capone for tax evasion. Whatever you can make stick. (Not that I'm saying his misdeeds are as bad as Al Capone's, mind you.)

He passed out. Passenger landed the plane. Massive disregard for the safety of his passengers. He may be charged only with lying, but we are all just really lucky no one died.

Got it, thanks for the clarification.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back