Foot launched rigid glider

News headline

Is it a bird? Is it a plane?

Today - A Wichita man jumped off his roof with a foot launched glider and has been aloft for nearly 9 hours over the city.

update: After frightening most animals and small children within city limits, the glider returned to earth without incident in the unnamed residents driveway.

Last edited:
News headline

funny. that would be cool. an example earlier iteration of this type of glider, the Carbon Dragon, was flown in this area quite a bit back in the 90's. Some impressive flights were done in it. with such low weight, sink rate, and light wing loading, you can take advantage of some wind gusts/lift lines that "normal" sized sailplanes just can't exploit. Although more often than not around here it would just be too windy for it.

120lbs.
hmm
decent weight for a person to run with on their back.
Amazing they can get enough wing strength with such a small mass.

I wonder if it can launch in still air or if it needs a breeze. And if so, how much wind does it need to 'foot launch'?

I wonder if it can launch in still air or if it needs a breeze. And if so, how much wind does it need to 'foot launch'?

Minimum air speed is supposed to be 19 mph, so that seems to imply a safe foot launch really does need a good breeze.

28:1 according to wikipedia. wow.

the first attempt at a rigid wing foot launch sailplane that i know of was the Hall Vector 1, designed by the same guy who designed my Cherokee II. It was a neat design but ended up too heavy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_Vector_1

Gonna be a bit hard to self launch in Kansas or Oklahoma.

:29 into the original video cracks me up. All I can picture is the 'gear up' lever. Kyle

Digging around the website a bit it seems the base price is about 75,000 swiss francs. Ouch.

Can purchase quite a few hang gliders for that, and they're all foot launch as well.

Back