Food Flight sizzle reel

raider

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Food Flight
not polished but this was submitted to a producer to show the concept

facebook video

So, a "Flyin, Food, Fun" version of Diners Drive-ins, and Dives?

It seems like, as is, it would mainly appeal to pilots or those that want to be. It either needs more focus on the food or some type of drama or draw, outside of just small airplanes.

Looks interesting. I think it would be cool if pilots from all over the country submitted their food flight videos as you might run out of places in the Northern plains. But neat concept.

I agree with the scarcity of the northern plains - which is why fly-ins, airparks, and discovery flights were added. The focus on the airfield diner would be more than what is shown here to appeal to all. Sort of 60% on the aviation excursion and 40% on the location/destination experience. Something like a aviation based DDD I guess.

Thanks for checking it out!

Do those people off the street get their misconceptions (you are going to die, you NEED a flight plan) answered at some point?

It either needs more focus on the food or some type of drama

From the FWA recipe book: Repeated shots of the cook burning the toast or undercooking the waffles, with the diner patrons commenting how risky it is to eat the food with a slightly bent spoon.

In addition to showing the fun of recreational GA flying (to the fly-ins, and the $100 burgers/pancakes/bbq), you might bring in the "value" of XC travel to family on your own schedule and not hassling with TSA, airport parking, baggage fees, etc.

Do those people off the street get their misconceptions (you are going to die, you NEED a flight plan) answered at some point?

yes, the teaser only shows general concept but the questions would relate to a real world situation in the following segment - like dropping the throttle on the way to the restaurant then explaining and showing the glide. good question

In addition to showing the fun of recreational GA flying (to the fly-ins, and the $100 burgers/pancakes/bbq), you might bring in the "value" of XC travel to family on your own schedule and not hassling with TSA, airport parking, baggage fees, etc.

good idea - wanted to deal mostly with pure recreation but I like the inclusion of 'lack of TSA hassle'. Not sure about cost effectiveness because I can take Allegiant from ND to Vegas for under $100, whereas the 172 would run oooohhhh... much more. ha. but would be much more fun.

True, but take it from the perspective of someone who must travel 45-60 miles to the airport, arrive early enough to have time to find parking and deal with the security check points, but wind up with an hour or more dead time waiting for the boarding call, 30 minutes sitting in your seat after boarding while the rest of the cattle figure out that there overstuffed roll-on (that the gate agent or the FA should have stopped in the first place) won't fit in the overhead, flight time, walk 2 miles from gate to rental car counter, and them drive 45-60 minutes to your destination.

Even a C172 can get its pilot there in advace of the commercial passenger.

A good illustration might be a Top Gear style race from the same house to the same hotel bar, showing all the trials, troubles for the one flying commercial, and contrasted with the interesting fun for the GA pilot. Keep it honest with both having synchronized stop watches. But the aim is to show the GA pilot already enjoying his 2nd or 3rd beverage before his buddy finally trudges up with his luggage.

GA vs Commercial may never make financial sense to many. But the point is to sell the utility. Leave when you want from the runway very close to you, then arrive at the runway that is very close to your final destination.

A good illustration might be a Top Gear style race...

It would be fun to shoot, but from my location in flyover land, the airline would win for any coastal destination hands-down.

It'd even win to Vegas.

I could put on a mean showing to North Platte, NE or Cheyenne, WY though. Tourist hotspots that they are!

;)

Nate; an example I was thinking of is my annual sojourn to Denver in April. More than once, my buddy from this area who flies his A36 to the same conference from KFTW (Meacham) to KAPA is always at the bar ahead of me... and he leaves his house 30-45 minutes after I leave mine for the 40 minute drive and park to KDFW for the flight on AA.

I like it Mike, that would be cool to show. I'm sure the masses don't even consider that possibility.

I think we could start a research expedition for greasy spoons within 10 minutes of airports within 1 hr of Denver ... :)

KSNY - Cabela's grill
KCYS - Peak's Cafe
KBJC - Runway Grill
KLMO - Flight Deck Grill
2V5 (Wray, CO) - Demi's (don't know if it's still there)
KPUB - Spitfire Grill
KGXY - Barnstormer's
KCOS - Solo's

but look what my next google turned up? Seriously, I had no idea this was out there ... hmmm, but upon further investigation, it appears that it doesn't work (at least for me, on Firefox). Clicking any link for Airports in CO brings up a blank page

http://restaurantsbyairports.com :D

Last edited:
I was surprised by how many all around the country there are right on the field

Back