FOOD at Oshkosh

Mike5250

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mike5250
This year will by my 4th osh (still a novice!). We seem to eat at the same places. Any good food/ fun places to check out after a long day at the show?

Typically do the following....

Hilton for breakfast everyday
Friar tucks for dinner a few nights
A night or two at the SOS tent.

Anything I'm missing out on? I remember hitting a pizza place the first year but forget the name.

Like prime rib?? Have a car to get to Hortonville (about 30 min northwest)? The Black Otter is for you then. Bring your appetite, because the queen cut is 32oz. Yes, 32oz! Best prime rib you'll ever have.

Ratch & Deb's, good pizza. Wendt's on the Lake, good fish. Jansens. Arty & Ed's, girls on roller skates. Leon's for desert, frozen custard. (my 29th year...) Hope this helps.

The Roxy...
I still remember the CAF guys (pre-Political Correctness days) in 1976 (my first Osh) playing Dixie with Wine Glasses and Spoons at the Wed. night Dinner.
Quite an experience for a 13 year old kid.

Like prime rib?? Have a car to get to Hortonville (about 30 min northwest)? The Black Otter is for you then. Bring your appetite, because the queen cut is 32oz. Yes, 32oz! Best prime rib you'll ever have.

That sounds like a nice place, have to keep it in mind. I'll take some horseradish with that prime rib.

I'm bringing a loaf of home baked bread (Have to make it tonight), home made salmon salad, peanut butter, a jar of apricot chutney, lots of soda and cheap booze. I don't eat on the airshow grounds at all. Do go out to dinner at the neighboring restaurants.

If my camp stove wasn't so crazy I'd bring stuff to cook. But my camp stove is, er...

temperamental.

Just call and have a pizza delivered.

"I'm easy to find, right next to the white Cessna in the blue tent"

We always have stayed in the college dorms, good breakfast in the morning and then you have many restaurants to get dinner from in town. Lunch was always on the grounds at whatever looked good. Seems more options these days but the prices and quality are still what you would expect.

I vary my meals between cooking my own, eating on the grounds, or going somewhere else. I have to do IHOP for breakfast at least once. I have a food confession, though. I have never eaten at Friar Tucks.

Charcoal Pit has amazing freshwater lake perch. We go there at least twice during the week.

If you fly in and camp, how the heck do you get around town if you need or want to? Hitch rides? Taxi? Hoof it? Carjacking?

If you fly in and camp, how the heck do you get around town if you need or want to? Hitch rides? Taxi? Hoof it? Carjacking?

Walk or take the EAA bus. That said, Uber appears to be operational in Oshkosh now, so there's always that option.

Its Oshkosh. Not exactly the Mecca of western culture. Haven't really felt the need to cruise around town with a sizable portion of the US fleet sitting at the airport.

In the North 40, bicycles are the preferred mode of transportation. See other posts about Goodwill bikes explaining how to get one.

Minus a bike, you are limited to the free shuttle bus that goes around the perimeter of the North 40 until 10 PMish(?). Woe to you if you get back on the field from Charcoal Pit (which is adjacent to the field) at 11, only to discover the busses have stopped running.

It's a long walk back to your campsite...

...Unless you arrive late to the show and are camped out on the North side of Rwy 27. Then you're super close to the restaurants, but light years from the show entrance.

We've camped everywhere in the North 40. Close to the showers is best, followed by close the main gate. Both require arriving early.

My wife and I plan to get Razor scooters for this year. I assume we can chain them up at the show entrance at the North 40 while we're there during the day?

My wife and I plan to get Razor scooters for this year. I assume we can chain them up at the show entrance at the North 40 while we're there during the day?
Sure!

Let us know how well they work! We have looked at them and wondered how long the charge would last, etc.

Sure!

Let us know how well they work! We have looked at them and wondered how long the charge would last, etc.

We're just getting the manual ones, so the "charge" depends entirely on how tired our legs get :) But we're both marathoners, so I'm not too worried...

We're just getting the manual ones, so the "charge" depends entirely on how tired our legs get :) But we're both marathoners, so I'm not too worried...
lol! Well, I will take my bike over a manual scooter.

Although the last time I rode a bike was at OSH 15... ;)

I've always enjoyed the food at the beer tent in the evening. the old one outside the gate. Used to talk to Paul there when he'd motor up in his V-Dub. View was nice too.....!88 Barmaids From Heaven.jpg

We generally catch the bus over to Target and stock up on drinks, beer, sandwich stuff, and maybe a few other things. That fills in the "holes" between various events and SOS brothers. One forgotten place is the Subway sandwich stand near the confluence of Homebuilt Parking and Warbirds. Their breakfast sandwiches are surprisingly good.

Hmm good idea. Are skateboards allowed? Now I'm thinking of bringing a boosted board (a motorized skateboard).

Hmm good idea. Are skateboards allowed? Now I'm thinking of bringing a boosted board (a motorized skateboard).
Not in the show itself, but certainly around the North 40 and surrounding roads.

Other than Scholler, i have no idea where I will be camping. However, I will have a car and I'd be happy to make a store run once a day. PM me here and we can try to connect.

Arrive this afternoon, on my way now...it is finally starting to get real

I left my boosted board at home. About half way to osh at a food/ unexpected maintenance stop. Wish I had it, we were tight on space. No good place to lock it up if it rains.

Back