Food at Gaston's? X-post...

purdue1014

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Brent
Hi All,

This year is my first Gaston's. I am wondering, what does everyone do for food there? Do people bring their own stuff? Does Gaston's provide food? What would you recommend to a newcomer?

Thanks,

Brent

Hi All,

This year is my first Gaston's. I am wondering, what does everyone do for food there? Do people bring their own stuff? Does Gaston's provide food? What would you recommend to a newcomer?

Thanks,

Brent

I'd recommend the brats that get cooked on the flightline, flown in from Wisconsin. :yes:

Hi All,

Thanks,

Brent
There is a pretty decent restaurant on field open for all meals. If you ate there all weekend it would get rather expensive but it is a decent option. Generally there are folks taking a Gastons van into town to buy food for grilling. A lot of the cabins also have full kitchens. Basically show up and either hit up the restaurant or run into town with one of the groups to pick up some food.

I would recommend you attend the Saturday dinner and Sunday brunch at the minimum. I usually eat in the restaurant at least once a day.

I would recommend you attend the Saturday dinner and Sunday brunch at the minimum. I usually eat in the restaurant at least once a day.

I have eaten at Gaston's for dinner long before I attended the POA fly-ins and I will have to agree with Jesse, it is only decent. If you want a good dinner, fix yourself a nice steak in your cabin and spend the extra money on fuel. The only good thing about the Saturday Dinner is the company, but the Sunday brunch is good, it's pretty hard to screw up breakfast.

yep the flightline food is great. ive found that it is often worth the money to sit in the air conditioning to eat at least one meal a day.

Brent,
On the way down, stop at Sikeston to go to Lambert's! You won't need to eat at Gaston's for the first 24 hours! :no:

Tony and Spike have done a good job; I checked with Gaston's yesterday and they still have our reservations as previously listed.
Fri Sat dinner and Sun brunch 50 people although I suspect they will continue to be very flexible on those numbers.

I don't know about Brent J, but I plan to again be one of the happy hotdog grillers on Friday. I really enjoyed handing pilots dogs right after they landed!!! (It couldn't have been all those silver bullets, could it???:smilewinkgrin:)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info:smile:
There is a pretty decent restaurant on field open for all meals. If you ate there all weekend it would get rather expensive but it is a decent option. Generally there are folks taking a Gastons van into town to buy food for grilling. A lot of the cabins also have full kitchens. Basically show up and either hit up the restaurant or run into town with one of the groups to pick up some food.

Tony and Spike have done a good job; I checked with Gaston's yesterday and they still have our reservations as previously listed.
Fri Sat dinner and Sun brunch 50 people although I suspect they will continue to be very flexible on those numbers.

It sounds like one needs to make a reservation for the brunches...How do I do that?

Thanks,

Brent

Thursday night pizza in cabin #74 @ 7pm for early arrivals.

Just follow Jesse.

:smile:

Ted, me and AdamB are planing on being at Gastons that evening. I am planing on being there for Pizza and Beer...

I thought it was cookies... but pies sound good too!

Sue Flynn, among others, makes great HorsDeHoerves however you spell that....knishes...knoshes... BE THERE if you want to sample some.

It may, or may not be challenge for me to bring genuine Milwaukee Avenue Chicago Polish Kielbasa this year.

Last edited:
Leah and I are bringing a couple cases of Water. Will make nice baggage area ballast to give us blazing cruise speeds.

Leah and I are bringing a couple cases of Water. Will make nice baggage area ballast to give us blazing cruise speeds.

Will you be doing a "contest finish" by dropping the ballast during a low pass?? :D

If you are 21 and older make sure you have some of Grant and Leslie's famous Margaritas.

Bill and Brent grill the best hot dogs too.

Pizza night is fun as well.

Hate I'm missing it this year. Sigh.

Back