food allergy

sky7

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
sky7
asking for a friend interested in either military or jetliner aviation, would a food allergy (potentially anaphylaxis) be disqualifying for a Class 1 medical? The medical application seems to be asking about respiratory allergies and hay fever. What I did find was that “allergies causing systemic symptoms is disqualifying for military service,” but I cant seem to find anything from the FAA on this.

Thanks!

I think I found my answer on another post 3 or 4 pages back, but seeking clarification on the first class issue. Thanks

This is the part of the Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners that is relevant:
Disease/Condition​
Class​
Evaluation Data​
Disposition​
Allergies, severe​
All​
Submit all pertinent medical information and current status report, include duration of symptoms, name and dosage of drugs and side effects​
Requires FAA Decision​
My best guess would be that as long as you have an Epipen available in case of emergency, the FAA would likely issue your medical.

This is the part of the Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners that is relevant:
Disease/Condition​
Class​
Evaluation Data​
Disposition​
Allergies, severe​
All​
Submit all pertinent medical information and current status report, include duration of symptoms, name and dosage of drugs and side effects​
Requires FAA Decision​
My best guess would be that as long as you have an Epipen available in case of emergency, the FAA would likely issue your medical.
Thanks! I guess I wasn’t looking at the right part of the guide, I had found respiratory allergies and hay fever. Appreciate it

Do you realize that after you use an epi-pen, the recipient still needs an ambulance ride, lights and siren on, to the nearest emergency room?

Sorry, this sounds incompatible with a Class 1 medical.

well thats unfortunate but makes sense. Lot harder to control allergen exposure on a flight deck than puttering around in a little 4 seater

I do realize, I have treated patients with anaphylaxis in my career. I'm simply stating that with the right precautions and depending on the specific conditions, the FAA might issue. You are welcome to disagree, but I think this candidate should pursue it.

Back