Foo Fighters

SoonerAviator

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
SoonerAviator
Just went to a Foo Fighters concert last night. Dave Grohl and the guys are one hell of a rock band. I've been listening to their stuff for two decades but never got a chance to see them in concert until last night, and they put on a great show. 3hr set, no breaks, guitar/drum solos and ad-lib galore. I'd highly recommend seeing them for anyone who likes good ol' American rock. Dave even jumped on the drums for a song (paying homage to his Nirvana days). I honestly can't think of a better modern rock band that came to prominence since FF in the mid-90s.

Aviation-related: their name "Foo Fighters" is a reference to a slang term used by WWII fighters about UFO-sightings.

upload_2017-11-16_8-51-54.jpeg

Foo Fighters have a great reputation for giving the audience more than what they paid for.

And one of my favorite videos "Learn to Fly" (cover version):

Yeah, I love that cover, too. I haven't seen it for a year or two, but it would have been a blast to bring out the set and play for that.

I saw them on the broken leg tour and am again in May on the current tour. They put on a hell of a show

Grohl is a seriously cool musician, already in the R&R Hall w/ Nirvana as their drummer. He also gave credit to the former drummers of Nirvana (recognition), a classy move, during his acceptance speech. But what I like about Grohl is his admiration for the 60-70s music scene. He even went so far as to rescue the mixing board from a famous LA recording studio and installed it in his own recording studio. There was a TV show (AXS maybe) about it awhile back. One of my favorite songs, love the lyrics, makes ya think, which a good song does:

Last edited:
I get hints of a lot of the great rock/punk bands in their music. They seem like they genuinely have a good time on stage and never appear to get pretentious about their success when interviewed by the press.

Aww man, you guys are killing me! I had tickets to see the Foos in Wichita Monday night; had a room booked, was gonna RV-8 up from Houston with the wife and make it a cool date night. But, the opportunity came up to get type rated in a B-17... dammit, what a dilemma! B-17 type or see the Foo Fighters?? I picked B-17. So, Monday we flew a practice hop for a Tuesday checkride. Monday evening the tailwheel had worked up a bad shimmy. No bueno. Checkride is off until spring. So the sum total; I missed seeing the Foo Fighters and still don't have the type rating. Waaahhhh!

But anyway, how about those insane ticket prices? Wife bought 2 tickets on Stubhub, fairly decent seats, $689... all the added fees and surcharges, holy crap! We sold them the morning of the show, $300. Buy high, sell low, that's how you get rich!

Hey at least you got some B17 time. Dave Grohl would approve I think.

Aww man, you guys are killing me! I had tickets to see the Foos in Wichita Monday night; had a room booked, was gonna RV-8 up from Houston with the wife and make it a cool date night. But, the opportunity came up to get type rated in a B-17... dammit, what a dilemma! B-17 type or see the Foo Fighters?? I picked B-17. So, Monday we flew a practice hop for a Tuesday checkride. Monday evening the tailwheel had worked up a bad shimmy. No bueno. Checkride is off until spring. So the sum total; I missed seeing the Foo Fighters and still don't have the type rating. Waaahhhh!

But anyway, how about those insane ticket prices? Wife bought 2 tickets on Stubhub, fairly decent seats, $689... all the added fees and surcharges, holy crap! We sold them the morning of the show, $300. Buy high, sell low, that's how you get rich!

Lol, yeah it'd be tough to pass up Fortress time, you had a FF vs FF dilemma! I was too cheap to spend a bunch of money on the tickets, but still had great seats in the lower level, middle of the BOK arena. I paid less than $200/ticket, and feel like I got my money's worth for sure. The wife's ears were ringing as it was, so being any closer wouldn't have done us much good.

Don't think of it as a loss, think of it that you helped some folks see their favorite band that previously could not afford tickets.

And I would have gone with the B-17 as well.

Back