Foo Fighters

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by SoonerAviator, Nov 16, 2017.

1. SoonerAviator

SoonerAviator En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    SoonerAviator
    Just went to a Foo Fighters concert last night. Dave Grohl and the guys are one hell of a rock band. I've been listening to their stuff for two decades but never got a chance to see them in concert until last night, and they put on a great show. 3hr set, no breaks, guitar/drum solos and ad-lib galore. I'd highly recommend seeing them for anyone who likes good ol' American rock. Dave even jumped on the drums for a song (paying homage to his Nirvana days). I honestly can't think of a better modern rock band that came to prominence since FF in the mid-90s.

Aviation-related: their name "Foo Fighters" is a reference to a slang term used by WWII fighters about UFO-sightings.

upload_2017-11-16_8-51-54.jpeg

2. Matthew

Matthew Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Matthew
    Foo Fighters have a great reputation for giving the audience more than what they paid for.

And one of my favorite videos "Learn to Fly" (cover version):

Justin M and SoonerAviator like this.
  3. SoonerAviator

SoonerAviator En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    SoonerAviator
    Yeah, I love that cover, too. I haven't seen it for a year or two, but it would have been a blast to bring out the set and play for that.

4. ktup-flyer

ktup-flyer Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    ktup-flyer
    I saw them on the broken leg tour and am again in May on the current tour. They put on a hell of a show

5. mscard88

mscard88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    Grohl is a seriously cool musician, already in the R&R Hall w/ Nirvana as their drummer. He also gave credit to the former drummers of Nirvana (recognition), a classy move, during his acceptance speech. But what I like about Grohl is his admiration for the 60-70s music scene. He even went so far as to rescue the mixing board from a famous LA recording studio and installed it in his own recording studio. There was a TV show (AXS maybe) about it awhile back. One of my favorite songs, love the lyrics, makes ya think, which a good song does:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  6. SoonerAviator

SoonerAviator En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    SoonerAviator
    I get hints of a lot of the great rock/punk bands in their music. They seem like they genuinely have a good time on stage and never appear to get pretentious about their success when interviewed by the press.

7. Matthew

Matthew Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Matthew
    And another video (NSFW):

8. jbDC9

jbDC9 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    John B
    Aww man, you guys are killing me! I had tickets to see the Foos in Wichita Monday night; had a room booked, was gonna RV-8 up from Houston with the wife and make it a cool date night. But, the opportunity came up to get type rated in a B-17... dammit, what a dilemma! B-17 type or see the Foo Fighters?? I picked B-17. So, Monday we flew a practice hop for a Tuesday checkride. Monday evening the tailwheel had worked up a bad shimmy. No bueno. Checkride is off until spring. So the sum total; I missed seeing the Foo Fighters and still don't have the type rating. Waaahhhh!

But anyway, how about those insane ticket prices? Wife bought 2 tickets on Stubhub, fairly decent seats, $689... all the added fees and surcharges, holy crap! We sold them the morning of the show, $300. Buy high, sell low, that's how you get rich!

9. mscard88

mscard88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    Hey at least you got some B17 time. Dave Grohl would approve I think.

10. SoonerAviator

SoonerAviator En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    SoonerAviator
    Lol, yeah it'd be tough to pass up Fortress time, you had a FF vs FF dilemma! I was too cheap to spend a bunch of money on the tickets, but still had great seats in the lower level, middle of the BOK arena. I paid less than $200/ticket, and feel like I got my money's worth for sure. The wife's ears were ringing as it was, so being any closer wouldn't have done us much good.

11. Zeldman

Zeldman Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Billy
    Don't think of it as a loss, think of it that you helped some folks see their favorite band that previously could not afford tickets.

And I would have gone with the B-17 as well.

12. jbDC9

jbDC9 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    John B
    Ha! Funny, the FF vs FF didn't even dawn on me...

13. steingar

steingar Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    steingar

Matthew likes this.