Font Selection

wanttaja

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Ron Wanttaja
In most of the platforms I use to read POA, the lower case "w"s have the center bars really faint. Upper case isn't bad, but the lower-case letters tend to look funny.
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Ron Wanttaja

I see what you mean, in Chrome if you zoom in to 110%, it looks normal, you might expect that, but
whats odd is that if I zoom out to 90%, it also looks normal. Go figure.

Hmmmm, the little "wwww" characters look fine here on my iThing. I'm not sure what the font name is, or its point size, but the two outer legs are flat on top and the middle piece is pointed; both bottom things are pointed, too. It's embarrassing that my diction is so poor, you'd never guess I'm a calligrapher and should know the names of these things . . . Of course, I work with broad pens and cut feathers, so to me they are all pen strokes and mine aren't pointed unless they are really long and tapered.

That strange. It all looks sans-serif on my android...

Looks normal on FireFox at all zoom levels. Blackberry also looks normal.

I'll confirm it's a Chrime on PC oddity about the lowercase w's.

unknown faded w's: wwwwwww
wwww arial
www Book
wwww courier
wwwww Georgia
wwwww Tahoma
wwww Times
wwww Trebuchet MS
www Verdana

So, looks like the offending font is Trebuchet MS, but it only does this fade in Windows Web browsers(ie,chrome,firefox alike), in Wordpad I don't get the fade at any text size. The font is probably missing on the other devices which don't look weird.

fonts-on-Windows.jpg

Last edited:
The result shown in the image with Trebuchet is what I am seeing.

It has something to do with the default size:

size ?, weird wwwwwww (default message text size)
size 3, no weird wwwww
size 4, no weird wwwww
size 5, no weird wwwww

Its not a chrome thing, i get the same on IE and FF

I don't get it on FF.

Must be a local setting on yours (and a few others) computers.

Comic Sans walks into a bar. The bartender cries out, "We don't serve your type here."

I don't get it on FF.

Must be a local setting on yours (and a few others) computers.
Do you have Windows 7? I haven't tried other flavors of windows.

Comic Sans walks into a bar. The bartender cries out, "We don't serve your type here."
Henny Youngman is rolling in his grave

And I still think Rodney Dangerfield was one of the best there was.... "My wife asked me to take her somewhere where she has never been. I said, 'Sure thing, sweetheart, how about the kitchen?'

I tell you, I get no respect. The other day I went to see the doctor. 'Doc, this morning, I got up, looked in the mirror, and felt nauseous.' Doctor says, 'Well Rodney, I don't know about your stomach, but your eyesight is fine!"

The w's look fine with Firefox on Win7 and Win 8 at my end.
Hmm, I checked on 3 more pc's. I have a Win8, no problem on that one. I have a win7 with the display set to 'larger' (150%), no problem on that one, I have a Win7 with display set to 'smaller' 100%, faded w's there, set it to 'medium' (125%) still faded w's. Set that one to 150% w's are normal now, I can't leave it this huge though, haha.

Maybe your win7 'Display' is set to 150%

Hmm, I checked on 3 more pc's. I have a Win8, no problem on that one. I have a win7 with the display set to 'larger' (150%), no problem on that one, I have a Win7 with display set to 'smaller' 100%, faded w's there, set it to 'medium' (125%) still faded w's. Set that one to 150% w's are normal now, I can't leave it this huge though, haha.

Maybe your win7 'Display' is set to 150%
I went through all the zoom levels with firefox on my win 7 box and didn't get the funky w's. But, I did with IE. My display is 1920x1080 on the win. What is your screen resolution?

I went through all the zoom levels with firefox on my win 7 box and didn't get the funky w's. But, I did with IE. My display is 1920x1080 on the win. What is your screen resolution?
1920x1080 It is something specific this web site is doing with that font that only affects win7. I'm giving up on this mystery.

1920x1080 It is something specific this web site is doing with that font that only affects win7. I'm giving up on this mystery.

That's weird because it's not affecting my Win7 with FF. Though I checked another site that uses Trebuchet MS and with IE I get the funny w's, and I don't on FF. It is not site specific. There must be a browser/font/pc issue.

What was that stupid Microsoft font smoothing thing in the OS called that was supposed to be some big breakthrough in readability but just made everything blurry?

Is that junk turned on on the machine that's doing it? TrueType I think it was called? Gah. That stuff sucked.

In most of the platforms I use to read POA, the lower case "w"s have the center bars really faint. Upper case isn't bad, but the lower-case letters tend to look funny.
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Ron Wanttaja
Thanks So what is the fix because now I CAN'T un-see it lol!

Back