Following the LA river under KLAX Clas B

rbohannon

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Rybo
Hi I am wondering if anyone can give me
some advice with navigating under the KLAX Class B from KLGB to
KEMT via the LA river/710 freeway at 1500ft.
Can I get flight following? Are the freeways easy to follow? Helicopter traffic?
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Do you mean the San Gabriel River? That would be a better option. The LA River doesn't bring you to EMT.

Yes, there is a high potential for helo traffic along the 605, but 2,000+ MSL should put you above most of them.

When skating along under the Class B, be aware of wake turbulence from heavies passing not far above you.

Welcome to POA!

Last edited:
Thanks! Yeah I was thinking that might be a better option as well, good point with the wake turbulence. For the sake of discussion what do you think about flying under the shelf that goes down to 2000 as if you made a right turn at the river after departing 25L at LGB and kept following the 710, have you flown through there before? I could swear ive seen fixed wing aircraft flying through there before, I could be wrong.
anyway just curious about that route

Go to the 605, turn North, stay on the right, follow the 605 and call EMT at Rose Hills. (the non-yellow part south of EMT on the TAC). Easy Peasy, do it all the time. They'll bring you in on Left Downwind for 19 (look for the Longo Toyota sign just north of the 10 freeway).

--Carlos V.

Last edited:
RT turnout to the 91/605 or Left 270 to the 91/605 follow the 605 North. I try to avoid going under the 20 shelf further West.

Thank you very much for the advice guys Gonna try the 605 route keep it simple

Back