Foliage experts - Name that tree! [NA]

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
I'm doing some fall clean-up and cut-down around the house. My wife finally let me go get a chainsaw, so I've been going to town. :)

Anywho. I've been cleaning out the fence line in our back yard. It's a heavily shaded area anyway, and there were some useless trees/tall brush growing along the line, so I took the 55cc/18" saw to 'em and they're gone. But this one larger tree, I can't decide if it's supposed to be there or if it's just one of the "useless tree/tall brush" type that hasn't been trimmed back in a very long time. I'm renting the house and obviously the yard area hasn't been maintained at all by previous renters. I finally got the grass back to respectable and got the creeping jenny to hit the road.

So my question is: Should I save or chop this tree? I'm leaning toward knocking it down. It's not any type of hardwood, and since it's growing so close to the fence, it will definitely cause problems in the near future.

I used to be pretty good at identifying the 'friend or foe' of foliage down in the south, but these midwestern breeds are throwing me for a loop. ;)

What say ye'? Should it stay or go? And better yet -- what the heck is it?

-Chris

Attachments

• DSCF0247.JPG
    DSCF0247.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
  • DSCF0244.JPG
    DSCF0244.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • DSCF0246.JPG
    DSCF0246.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
  • DSCF0245.JPG
    DSCF0245.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
I'm very conservative about hacking trees down but in this case it's a matter of placement. Unless you plan on removing that fence in the next few years you should probably cuterdown while you still can. The type eludes me at the moment but it's not a super desirable tree and probably fast growing. It wont take long till you will need help getting it down.

Matt Michael
Arborist/tree climber since 1989

From the views provided it looks like a type of hickory. All bets are off if it is some non-native species.

Bruce

cameronbm said:
From the views provided it looks like a type of hickory. All bets are off if it is some non-native species.

Bruce

As soft as the wood is, I'm thinking it might just be some sort of overgrown bush that has been mistakingly trimmed to appear as a tree over time. Not sure though. As soon as weather allows, it will be coming down in lieu of my wife's new flower patch. :)

-Chris

Looks like a sumac tree to be. I think they're pretty much a junk tree, but some might disagree. I usually whack them with a chain saw or brush cutter when I see them on our property...

my partner calls them junkyard trees you see them along highways. and yes they grow like crazy.

IMHO i think this is either Sumac(poison) or a Alanthis ( not sure of spelling). And in either case go ahead and CUT itthen put something on the stump to kill it or next year it will be back,and they do grow quickly.
Dave G.

Shipoke said:
IMHO i think this is either Sumac(poison) or a Alanthis ( not sure of spelling). And in either case go ahead and CUT itthen put something on the stump to kill it or next year it will be back,and they do grow quickly.
Dave G.
Not poison, Dave, but very likely sumac.

Shipoke said:
Dave G.

I work in the Ag chemical/fertilizer industry. I'm sure I can come up with something that will send those roots running for cover. ;)

It will be coming down as soon as weather allows. YEEEHAW!

-Chris

RotaryWingBob said:
Looks like a sumac tree to be. I think they're pretty much a junk tree, but some might disagree. I usually whack them with a chain saw or brush cutter when I see them on our property...
The leaves don't quite look right for sumac, although sumac was indeed my first thought. Sumacs are called "garbage can trees" around here as they will grow anywhere, even in a garbage can.

Get rid of it. Save the fence. Dave is right, they are hard to kill.

-Skip

Looks like a Tree of Heaven, Alianthus Altissima. From China, considered an invasive species in some areas. Junk tree in most places.

My wife says her family had a tree like that in Wichita Falls, Tx long ago in a galaxy far away. Her mother called it a paradise tree, and Mary recalls it having a soft bark. Maybe?

jshawley said:
My wife says her family had a tree like that in Wichita Falls, Tx long ago in a galaxy far away. Her mother called it a paradise tree, and Mary recalls it having a soft bark. Maybe?

Soft bark = yes. Even softer bite. ;)

Mentioned to my dad today that it might be a sumac. He said "oh yeah, we would get those everywhere in alabama." He even mentioned the fact that they will grow ANYWHERE and QUICKLY (i.e. 'garbage can tree' as mentioned in an earlier post).

Didn't get to cut 'er down today. Maybe tomorrow after work.

-Chris

Back