Folding Bikes

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
Anyone have experiances with folding bikes? I am pondering purchasing a couple to take in the mooney on certain trips. I found this one that looks pretty neat, here is a picture of it being loaded into a small aircraft, looks like the bike fits into a bag, then the wheels would be stored seperately.
gallery09.jpg

22 lbs per bike isnt as bad as I would've thought. could be a fun way to get around after landing. the savings from cab fare and car rentals alone would justify the purchase. Thoughts?

gallery29.jpg

http://www.airnimalusa.com/

Michael

Make sure you measure the baggage door and compare to the folded size of the bike.

Most everywhere I go has Enterprise rent a cars at about $25 dollars a day. Cheap by comparison to the cost to just own the airplane.

Len

While the angle between the seat and handlebars looks cool as Lance zips through mountain turns, it's not particularly comfortable for recreational, around the town riding. Might want to look at something a little more upright.

(Former 150-200 mile per week amateur cyclist racer, both road and mountain biking)

25 bucks a day!? Geeze Len...where are you flying to? detroit perhaps? 59 a day is about the cheapest I have seen, and thats before insurance and all the extras. i dont think I have ever spent under 80 bucks for a small rental when all is said and done.
good point on the door size. That pic does look like an extra large opening for a aircraft door.

Michael

Check the dimensions closely. The husband got me a deHaan folding bike to take in the airplane. Couldn't put it in the c172 or the m20f that I flew for awhile. Can't get it in the baggage door of the TB20, tho possibly the back seat without tearing up any upholstery on the way in. But I'm not going to bother trying.

So I've got a deHaan for sale. Want a new bike that I can take to the trails for some fun.

Kaye

5 yrs ago on a bike trip to Ireland one of the ladies on the tour had a brand spanking new one she rode for a week. she loved it. can't remember the name but I do remember she spent like 6 grand on it (yowza!!) it folded down pretty small.

Michael said:
25 bucks a day!? Geeze Len...where are you flying to? detroit perhaps? 59 a day is about the cheapest I have seen, and thats before insurance and all the extras. i dont think I have ever spent under 80 bucks for a small rental when all is said and done.
good point on the door size. That pic does look like an extra large opening for a aircraft door.

Michael

Bikes can be a fun way to travel from the airport to somewhere close, but only if you don't have much to carry and it's not wet out.

lancefisher said:
Bikes can be a fun way to travel from the airport to somewhere close, but only if you don't have much to carry and it's not wet out.
Try this one (I used to have one). They're pricey, well made, light and VERY STIFF. http://www.bikefriday.com/

Now I use a Mantis Moped, 49.5cc 35 mph, 104 pounds. But you need a Seneca or Saratoga to carry it back where nos 5&6 go....

The Montague folding mountain bike gets good reviews by pilots.

bbchien said:
Try this one (I used to have one). They're pricey, well made, light and VERY STIFF. http://www.bikefriday.com/

Now I use a Mantis Moped, 49.5cc 35 mph, 104 pounds. But you need a Seneca or Saratoga to carry it back where nos 5&6 go....

Bike Friday! I think that was the one she had...

Back