Folding Bike (or motorcycle) for 350# load

JohnSBA

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JohnSBA
I've searched old threads on this topic, and have seen the recent article in AOPA, and would like to get recommendations on anything new in the folding bike realm. We'll be adapting it to carry us both plus some backpacks, so we need one that can handle 350 pounds if possible. The frames seem to typically be ok with that, but the wheels might need some sort of upgrade. I modified a thrift store 1980s standard non-suspension mountain bike for our trans-continental flight last Fall (photos somewhere in the "Big Adventure" part of our blog). It works fine and is quite comfy to ride, but takes up too much space. I'm thinking something with smaller wheels, pop up seat & handlebars, and folding frame. I'll also look into buying an electric hub for power and braking assist, but first need to get the basic folding bike.

If we don't find something that works, we'll look into minibikes. We saw a tiny motorcycle with "banana" seat appear from the back of a Beech at Oceano Airport 7/3/06. The normal-sized couple hopped on and rode to SLO while we stood there frowning at the bus schedule. Though it would take up more space, add the hazards of fuel in baggage, and eliminate the exercise - it would provide safer highway riding, longer range, and less fear of theft (it was about 100 pounds, as I recall). Does anyone know what kind of bike it was? Suzuki comes to mind, but is probably wrong. He said it was an old model that's somewhat hard to find.

Last edited:
You might be able to modify a highway legal scooter, assuming you have some mad welding/fabrication skills. Just don't tell the DMV what you did.

I saw an episode of Top Gear where the guys were using take-down minibikes that fit into a duffel. I don't have any idea as to the manufacturer, but maybe you could find out by seeing the episode on line. It had to do with a British service that would drive drunks home in their own cars.

POA rocks! :)

Logging in so soon after posting my query, to already see helpful discussion and suggestions is just what I was hoping for! So to clarify a bit, we're on the fence between some options:

1. Standard lightweight Mountain bike. I already made up something that works (I looked up the old blog post with bike photo from our prior "Big Adventure" flight, and it's here). Advantages: $50 upgrade (bike was $40 at thrift store several years ago and ridden a fair amount since), can be carried on bus/subway, comfortable ride (added K-Mart cruiser seats), 18 speeds, 40#, open/fold in only 5 minutes, less attractive to thieves, can accept electric hub for hybrid assist & regenerative braking, could invest in relatively cheap stock frame joints to make folding frame. Problems: Spokes/rims too light duty for 350# load, brakes marginal with full load, fits in 172 only with front wheel & handlebars removed (I also pull the pedals, leaving cranks on) and is still very large/awkward to pack, even with rear wheel also removed frame is large/awkward.
  2. Foldable bike. Advantages: Light weight, small size, looks cool (though it was fun riding our contraption up Broadway thru Central Park and proving that New Yorkers are subject to shock and awe). Problems: Expensive ($700-3k or more, avg. ~$1.5k w/o electric), none rated for 350# load, some incapable of electric hub, few have more than 8 speeds, some models 15 minutes or more to open/fold, even smallest models still somewhat awkward to pack, attractive to thieves.
  3. Motorbike. Advantages: Highway speed for areas without alternative routes, less chance of collision than riding on roads w/o bike lanes, more likely to tolerate 350# load, potential ease on steep hills, cool breezes in place of sweaty treks (on non-electric bike). Problems: Expensive ($1-2k used), few or none less than 100# complicates w/b & load/unload, more space required than bike, often not allowed on quiet/scenic bike paths, fuel & oil in passenger area, more serious injury potential in non-collision accident, no exercise, more potential mx issues, fewer parking options, may require special rider license, possibly attractive to thieves.
When I first started looking into ground mobility options for our first Big Adventure, the dream was something we could just carry around on our backs with straps. Walk, ride transit, ride the bike, never need to lock it somewhere and have to go back for it. Clearly that's not going to happen, based on what I've seen so far. Nearly every solution we've seen is for a single rider, and even the very tiniest of those "$=no object" choices x 2 = more weight and size consumed than my current klunker. We actually bought a $1.7k foldable bike, but it was a big hassle to fold/unfold, weighed much more, took more space, and was vastly less fun to ride. So we returned it and I waxed creative on my old mountain bike. Frankly, in writing this I'm getting the sinking feeling that I'll be upgrading the spokes/rims and figuring out how to fold it smaller. You're my last hope!

Of which folding bike do you speak?
The klunker in my blog photo. By upgrading the hub to electric and replacing rim/spokes with heavier versions, the old Diamondback bike would be a viable compromise. I was trying to find out the rider weight limit on Montague bikes just now, and like most bikes (especially folding models) it's all but impossible without contacting them. I'm guessing they're reluctant to rate a bike as "250 pounds maximum" in case a 300# rider squashes one, loses 50# on hospital a diet, and sues the manufacturer. I dread inventing something that I'd rather buy, but have yet to see something suitable even at what to me is a high price. Maybe there's a bike only used once by James Bond out there...

Back