Folding Bicycles

ltsykes

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
N56978
Can anyone recommend a folding bicycle brand? I own a Cherokee 140 and would like to carry one in the back seat.
Thanks
Lynn

I cannot recommend one. I have looked and looked for one. But the ones that fit easily I really hate riding. The ones that I like riding are too big and bulky to fit in my Warrior. That being said a friend of mine puts his seat down in his Warrior and puts his regular bike in without the wheels on it. I have not tried this yet but if you have a bike oyu love to ride this may be a solution to consider.

I never had the chance to put a bike in a plane, but I second Scott.

I didn't like the folding bikes I could try. I have a Trek I can take the wheels off. That & turning the handles sideways lets a bike take minimal space. I did this when I taught at Woods Hole & I had to load my car with a suitcase, a load of spectrometers, microscopes, & other gear, and the bike would fit where there was space (and wouldn't damage the other stuff). They have a nice bike trail up there.

BTW- try to get one without index shifting. One less thing to adjust.

Taking both wheels off of your current non-folding bike means dealing with a greasy, dirty chain every time you mount or remove the rear wheel. Not fun.

I'd also recommend one of the full size folding bikes from Montague. The ones with the mono top tube (models CX, MX, Paratrooper or SwissBike LX) have an established military pedigree (design was financed by DARPA and various branches of the military have used them in the field) and ride exactly like a normal, full size bike.

The Montagues fold/unfold quickly and the quick releases on the front wheel and frame have built in safety mechanisms that prevent the bike from folding while you're riding.

If you're not a serious mountain biker, go with the Montague CX. It's the only Montague with adjustable height handlebars (you can ride more upright), the tires are a bit narrower (faster on pavement), it has a suspension seat post and it's $200 cheaper than the Paratrooper folding bike.

Here's a YouTube video I did to demonstrate how the Montague folding bikes fold. The bike in the video is the Montague CX's more expensive sibling - the SwissBike LX:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sKO-mLKOh3o

Larry
RideTHISbike.com

The chain is not a big deal at all, I think you are over playing that to sell your product line. If your chain is big and dirty then you are not taking care of your chain and you probably have bigger problems. Most people that do know how to care for their bikes keep their chain clean at lightly lubricated. Even so, a small amount of lubricant may get on things that touch the chain. If you decide to put any bike into your plan I recomend putting down a cloth that you don't mind getting a couple of spots on.

I have the Montague MX and like it pretty well. It fits in the back seat of the tripacer and fits even better when I take out the back seat, along with a cooler, computer, flight bag, and assorted food and camping supplies. But I have a back door. It looks like it would be very awkward getting it in a cherokee, and I don't think it would fit in the baggage door.

Barb

Re: Folding Bicycles........Hummmmmmmm

I have 2 folding bikes that are slightly used....and .....they are for sale:yes:

Just like any bicycle you GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!

I have a Downtube front suspension model. I got what I paid for. If I wanted a folding bike that rode like my $2000 mountain bike, or a $2000 touring bike, then I would expect to pay at least $2000. Yes expensive folding bikes in that price range are available :yes:

That being said, the Downtube is decent. The frame and rims are well made and hold up well to the rough and tumble world of packing them in and out of planes, trunks (and twice for me) checked airline luggage. The components are crap. Weight is somewhere in the middle range for folding bikes. When it is adjusted well it is a nice riding bike, even for me at 6'3" (seat post extended all of the way out) and I am a bike snob.

My chief complaint is the components, particularly the rear derailleur and the brakes. The slightest bump and they will bend out of adjustment. IF I was going to buy another Downtube I would purchase the model with the internal rear shifting hub instead of the derailleur to try to avoid the problems I have experienced. When I get around to it I'm going to see if I can retrofit mine somehow.

I'm thinking about picking up a second folding bike after I get 77C's engine reinstalled so my girlfriend and I can start riding together on our trips. I'll shop around but I'm betting I will find that for price, folded size, weight and features Downtube will probably come out on top again.

Check out this page from Downtube's site, it compares some different brands and has other useful info. BikeFriday is the expensive brand I was thinking of, they are more for touring and less for bumpy conditions. Obviously up here we are riding a lot of gravel roads and even some easy trails - mine has front suspension!

Here's a photo of my Downtube and my girlfriend at our cabin in Talkeetna:

Image018.jpg

Last edited:
The Downtube model that I would recommend (front suspension, rear cargo rack, rear internal shifting hub) is currently on sale for $399. It folds to 12" x 23.6" x 33" and weighs 27 lbs.

Taking both wheels off of your current non-folding bike means dealing with a greasy, dirty chain every time you mount or remove the rear wheel. Not fun.

I'd also recommend one of the full size folding bikes from Montague. The ones with the mono top tube (models CX, MX, Paratrooper or SwissBike LX) have an established military pedigree (design was financed by DARPA and various branches of the military have used them in the field) and ride exactly like a normal, full size bike.

The Montagues fold/unfold quickly and the quick releases on the front wheel and frame have built in safety mechanisms that prevent the bike from folding while you're riding.

If you're not a serious mountain biker, go with the Montague CX. It's the only Montague with adjustable height handlebars (you can ride more upright), the tires are a bit narrower (faster on pavement), it has a suspension seat post and it's $200 cheaper than the Paratrooper folding bike.

Here's a YouTube video I did to demonstrate how the Montague folding bikes fold. The bike in the video is the Montague CX's more expensive sibling - the SwissBike LX:

Larry
RideTHISbike.com

Where have I seen this EXACT post before....oh yeah, on any forum that mentions a bike, ever. Spam.

Note in latestEAA Sport Aviation that www.SwissBike.com offers a new folding bike. I know nothing beyond what's in the blurb: full-size, folds in half, 36x28x12 when folded, and an available soft-sided carrying case.

Oh, ignore this. I just saw a) that this is the same company the spammer's talking about and b) this appears to be related in some way to the Mantague, since they talk about the Montague Folding System on the frame, and Montague engineers on the site.

Last edited:

Larry
RideTHISbike.com

So Larry are there any issue fitting the bike in a standard PA28 and if so can you get 2-3 in?

Here's a photo of my Downtube and my girlfriend at our cabin in Talkeetna:

Image018.jpg

Nice cabin, I looked into some property on one of the lakes up near there $ 5,000.00 for a lot.
I hope to get up there this year or next.

Dan

Back