sdflyer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
sdflyer
Ok, I'm in area of confusion.

Prior FOI written
§ 61.183(d)[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

To be eligible for a flight instructor certificate or rating a person must..
Receive a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor on the fundamentals of instructing listed in §61.185 of this part appropriate to the required knowledge test;

§ 61.185 Aeronautical knowledge.

(a) A person who is applying for a flight instructor certificate must receive and log ground training from an authorized instructor on...bla bla bla

Question: Do I need to get endorsement to take FOI written? The answer is NO I don't (per two CFI's) ..However, I can't find a reason why. Can anyone help me to elaborate that?:mad2:

Your two CFI's are correct -- you don't need it to take the FOI written because the FOI is required for both CFI and GI certificates, and there is no requirement for an endorsement for GI. However, because of the regs quoted above, you do need it before you take the CFI practical test.

. . . However, because of the regs quoted above, you do need it before you take the CFI practical test.

Ron,

Like you said, I didn't need to get the FOI endorsement prior to getting my GI certificate. But just to be clear, since I now already have taken the FOI and have my GI certificate, I don't need to take it again and will be able to get my CFI without ever having gotten an endorsement for the FOI. Am I understanding this correctly? Just starting on my CFI training, so this is timely.

V/R,
Joe

But just to be clear, since I now already have taken the FOI and have my GI certificate, I don't need to take it again and will be able to get my CFI without ever having gotten an endorsement for the FOI. Am I understanding this correctly?
You're half right. While you don't need to retake the FOI written (see 61.183(e)(1)), you still need the FOI endorsement before you take the initial CFI practical test. 61.183(d) has no exception for the holders of GI tickets.

You're half right. While you don't need to retake the FOI written (see 61.183(e)(1)), you still need the FOI endorsement before you take the initial CFI practical test. 61.183(d) has no exception for the holders of GI tickets.

Thanks for the vector. I have captured the localizer.

The endorsement is how your referring instructor tells the Inspector/DE that he's sure that you know the FOI material and can use it in your teaching... that's subtly (but importantly) different from passing the written.

Back