FOI updated by the FAA also

In glancing through the PDF, I notice that they upgraded the graphics from the 1980s. ;)

When I worked in the world of computer systems one thing that made me nuts was when people packaged really simple ideas (generally ideas that had been around longer than they had), renamed them, tried to give them structure (usually failing), and packaged it as something "new and relevant".

I've always felt the same way about the FOI. A few very basic ideas about learning that could easily be condensed into ten pages of plain English - no diagrams, no TLA's. I scored 100% on the silly written but never found much use for 99% of the material.

Am I the only instructor who feels that way? Do I need counseling or meds or both?

There's a lot of good information in the FOI but the way it's presented has more effect than any sleeping pill on the market. I'm not sure you could package it as a better presentation.

I liked the Jep book much better than the AIH. Though it's the same information, something about it had more appeal.

I've always felt the same way about the FOI. A few very basic ideas about learning that could easily be condensed into ten pages of plain English - no diagrams, no TLA's. I scored 100% on the silly written but never found much use for 99% of the material.

Am I the only instructor who feels that way? Do I need counseling or meds or both?
No, I agree. I think the concepts are valid but but I don't like the packaging of psychology like a science. It seems more like common sense.

When I worked in the world of computer systems one thing that made me nuts was when people packaged really simple ideas (generally ideas that had been around longer than they had), renamed them, tried to give them structure (usually failing), and packaged it as something "new and relevant".

Nope. I agree 1x10400%, here's pretty much all the FOI should read:

• Each student learns differently, figure out (or ask) which way is best for your student.
  • Teach them correctly the first time. Unlearning crap is a PITA.
  • If they are having trouble with a concept relate it to something they understand - even if it collecting Hello Kitty stickers.

Last edited:
Well, I must have fooled them well enough - just got back from my FOI written. My score was apparently acceptable. 100% in under 15 minutes is still considered passing.

Though I am not a CFI I am an instructor in several disciplines and studied fundamentals of instruction. After my experience in my private and instrument training, not to mention my two flight reviews, my sense is that anything the FAA could do not only to update the Fundamentals of Instruction and make it relevant and comprehensive, but also to smack every CFI upside the head with it on at least an annual basis, the better off the community of pilots will be. The aviation community has not cornered the market on bad instructors who out of ignorance or apathy think they are good instructors by any means, but they have a solid surplus. My 2c.

Eeesh, is the graphics all they updated? I've read the now older FOI book and have to agree with Kenny. The only thing that kept me going was the fact it was a small book and I knew I'd get through it pretty quickly. On the other hand, there is some good information in it. It's nice to understand the different ways that people learn and what types of learning effect them the most. I can't say psycology is my favorite subject now but its cool to reflect on my flight training and say, "oh, thats why!"

It may be dry but don't doubt its good information. Not to mention, its an easy written.

20 years later, it makes a lot more sense ;)

I think if we treated it as the bare-bones outline that it is, rather than a complete treatise on the subject, we'd do a lot better. Unfortunately, "You don't need to know that," is a far-too-common statement when trying to learn more.

Fly safe!

David

Overachiever. ;)
Ditto!

I got all of 76 on my FOI. I took it some eighteen months prior to my CFI checkride. Then, I blew right through the FOI during the oral portion. Either I actually knew the stuff or he didn't care. I'm pretty sure Ben did care!

I am studying for the FOI test and will it take tomorrow morning. I think there is some good information but I must say it isnt a book I can start reading at 10 o'clock and expect to be awake at 10:01. I am going to try and read it around noon today and see if I fare better.

It took me a while to read through the book for that reason. I generally forced myself to read a chapter a night, usually while on LiveChat.

Thank god for the Jepp book - that actually made all the FOI stuff relevant and presented it in a way that it stuck with me.

Thank god for the Jepp book - that actually made all the FOI stuff relevant and presented it in a way that it stuck with me.

Which Jepp book is this, Tim? It's the second time it's been mentioned. I really like my Jepp Instrument/Commercial book, do they make a CFI book?

I presume the Jepp book is this:
http://jeppdirect.jeppesen.com/main/store/product_details.jsp?id=prod917 said:
GFD Flight Instructor Textbook

$74.95

Overview

Intuitive organization and colorful presentation make this manual an essential study aid on your journey to becoming a flight instructor. Includes 1,000 full-color photos and illustrations.
Features

Features:
  • Concise and complete explanations of training concepts
  • POV insets provide examples from an instructor's viewpoint, of how to apply the concepts in real training situations
  • Strategically-placed Discovery Insets supplement your learning
  • Human Elements Inserts help teach your students the mind/body/flight connection
  • FAA Question Insets help you with related test questions
  • Summary checklists at the end of each section
  • Key terms are highlighted throughout
  • Review questions are presented after each section

Eh... Ken beat me to it.

Back