FOI +AGI

falconkidding

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Falcon Kidding
So just looking at collecting the Ground Instructor ratings just to add to the rating alphabet and doesn't hurt to learn more for future checkrides/general knowlege.

I'm kind of struggling with what online program/software to use to study for them. I'm looking for something that is like a practice exam/question bank with the answers explained. I looked at gleims FOI and ground instructor online stuff which is 149$ for the both but not a huge fan when I used their PPL one. It was just sorta dry and like a website from the late 90s so is there any better options not looking to spend a ton of money or buy some huge kit just something to pass the exam relatively pain free.

Tried the search function cause I'm sure this has been asked before but could't find anything related.

Just use shepherd or dauntless.

If you're already a CFI you don't need to do the FOI again.

I used the gliem books and passed the writen in the high 80s. Worked well for me.

Checked out sheppard air kind of bizarre that you have to call them to order but it seems kinda like what i was looking for.

Sheppard Air seems like a shady operation but their stuff works.

I'm glad this question has come up. I'm only a PPL, but my profession is teaching high school. I love teaching, so I am considering the ground option as well. I was looking around for study materials but couldn't really find anything.

Do I need the FOI part having an education background? Seems I read something months ago saying that segment wasn't necessary.

Last edited:
I'm glad this question has come up. I'm only a PPL, but my profession is teaching high school. I love teaching, so I am considering the ground option as well. I was looking around for study materials but couldn't really find anything.

Do I need the FOI part having an education background? Seems I read something months ago saying that segment wasn't necessary.

No, you don't need to take the FOI.

FAR 61.213
(b) The knowledge test specified in paragraph (a)(3) of this section is not required if the applicant:

(1) Holds a ground instructor certificate or flight instructor certificate issued under this part;

(2) Holds a teacher's certificate issued by a State, county, city, or municipality that authorizes the person to teach at an educational level of the 7th grade or higher; or

(3) Is employed as a teacher at an accredited college or university.

I've been looking into also getting my AGI this summer, so I figured I'd add in some questions here:

1. Does preparing for the test actually prepare you for the job? In a perfect world I'd read through the Flight Instructors Handbook, Airplane Flying Handbook, Aviation Weather, Aviation Weather Services, and Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge. Not to mention the FAR/AIM.

However, that's over 3000+ pages of very dry FAA published material.

So would preparing for the test using Sheppard Air or Gleim actually prepare you to teach the material in real life? Or is it expected we should read through every page of all that material? I feel like nobody has the time to read through all of the material the FAA wants us to.

2. How similar is the Flight Instructor Airplane test to the AGI test? Should you take them at the same time?

1. Does preparing for the test actually prepare you for the job?
No -- not even close. There is no way that studying a few books and learning some basic theory will completely prepare you to be an effective teacher. That requires practical training under the tutelage of an experienced teacher.

2. How similar is the Flight Instructor Airplane test to the AGI test? Should you take them at the same time?
Good pairing.

No -- not even close. There is no way that studying a few books and learning some basic theory will completely prepare you to be an effective teacher. That requires practical training under the tutelage of an experienced teacher.

And where would one find this kind of practical training? Paying a CFI you mean?

And where would one find this kind of practical training? Paying a CFI you mean?
That's one way. Probably better to go take a basic teaching course in the Education Department at your local college. Or you could get with a CFI and a Student and have you give the Student a ground lesson under the CFI's supervision, splitting the CFI's cost between you and the Student. Or arrange to teach a ground school class under an experienced instructor's supervision with the instructor pocketing the pay and you pocketing the experience.

Keep in mind that the material being taught isn't important -- the teaching process is. Many companies have courses to train employees how to teach (or at least give effective presentations, which is much the same thing). Working with Scouting teaching the kids various things for merit badges and the like would also be good practice, especially under the tutelage of an experienced Scout Leader. To a great extent, teaching is like selling -- a good salesman can sell anything. So it's all about learning how to teach, not so much the material being taught, just like being a salesman is all about learning how to sell, not so much about the product being sold.

I've been looking into also getting my AGI this summer, so I figured I'd add in some questions here:

1. Does preparing for the test actually prepare you for the job? In a perfect world I'd read through the Flight Instructors Handbook, Airplane Flying Handbook, Aviation Weather, Aviation Weather Services, and Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge. Not to mention the FAR/AIM.

However, that is the material that the questions come from. Being a teacher means being able to know where to look and how to read the referenced materials, not rote memorization.

The same. take them both at the same time. same with IGI and CFII.
Organize your materials by the PTS. Each maneuver/subject area has reference material. Know where to look for that specific reference.

As someone who recently passed their CFI checkride I can tell you that all the information in those books are useful. It's not about memorizing all the stuff. I still have a lot to learn. However if a student has a question I will definitely know how and where to look up the question. And yes, every student is trying to kill you. I've only been an instructor for a week and I should have died several times:D

I see some posts stating that Sheppard Air seems like a shady operation. How is that? In my experience they seem to be very competent and on top of their market. Just my two cents though.

I see some posts stating that Sheppard Air seems like a shady operation. How is that? In my experience they seem to be very competent and on top of their market. Just my two cents though.

It's not that they are 'shady'. It's just that they exist in a time warp where there is no internet, and all the computers run windows.

(3) Is employed as a teacher at an accredited college or university.

I swear if I ever get the stupid idea that I want to teach people to fly, I'll get a job for a couple of semesters teaching a night class in frakking "Intro to Network Security" at a community college just to avoid the inevitable lowering of IQ via irreversible brain damage known as the FOI.

I swear if I ever get the stupid idea that I want to teach people to fly, I'll get a job for a couple of semesters teaching a night class in frakking "Intro to Network Security" at a community college just to avoid the inevitable lowering of IQ via irreversible brain damage known as the FOI.

I think you're setting yourself up for failure if you think an intro course at a local community college is going to cause less damage :lol:

BTW, the FAA's position is that just having been issued an initial GI ticket is not sufficient to start giving ground training. See this letter on point, and note that for a "newly minted" GI not already working as a flight instructor to comply with 14 CFR 61.217, the only two choices available are:
(c) Completion of an approved flight instructor refresher course and receipt of a graduation certificate for that course; or
(d) An endorsement from an authorized instructor certifying that the person has demonstrated knowledge in the subject areas prescribed under Sec. 61.213(a)(3) and (a)(4), as appropriate.
The other two options:
(a) Employment or activity as a ground instructor giving pilot, flight instructor, or ground instructor training;
(b) Employment or activity as a flight instructor giving pilot, flight instructor, or ground instructor ground or flight training;
...require that you already be giving flight/ground training.

Back