FlyQ EFB For $49 - VFR and IFR

Stingray Don

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Stingray Don
My ForeFlight subscription expired recently and I just received an email promo for FlyQ at $49 so I jumped on it. I used FlyQ previously and like it about as well as ForeFlight. I tried WingX for the 30 day free trial and was waiting for the free version which never materialized. Hard to beat $49 for VFR and IFR. Email said only available to new customers and existing customers with expired plans. Offer good through Sunday. Thought I would mention it if anyone is needing to renew their EFB.

By the way, I had a local flight yesterday without any EFB. I had to rely on the GTN 650 exclusively. The horror! Not sure how I survived to tell the story.

Additional information if interested

FlyQ does support iOS 11.0.3 as announced today on their blog.
I asked if they had intensions of adding an integrated W&B and they replied yes.
Maybe a couple updates away still, but yes.

I have used FlyQ and really liked it but it did not work with my Status 2. :(

Does it have all the same features as FF? Geo-referenced plates overplayed on the chart, etc? Vector maps?

Also, just went to the site. Don't see the offer for $49 for both.

Does it have all the same features as FF? Geo-referenced plates overplayed on the chart, etc? Vector maps?

Also, just went to the site. Don't see the offer for $49 for both.

Similar features as ForeFlight. I had to use a link in the email to get the promo price. You may have to email them and ask.

Also, as a student or CFI, you can get a year for $19.95

Additional info for anyone interested:
Support for the iPad 2 is going to end soon.
I just upgraded my old iPad 2 (full size) to an iPad Mini 4
Huge difference both on FlyQ and Foreflight (trial)...and just overall operation.
I know that's sort of a duh statement, but I was hesitant to upgrade wondering if it was really worth it.
It was.
The mini's are on sale at BestBuy right now for 100 off.
And it's much better on the yoke for sure that the iPad 9.7"
another duh statement lol, but again, I didn't know till I tried.

I have used FlyQ and really liked it but it did not work with my Status 2. :(
Stratus 2 blocked FyQ with an update so that they can force FF use. you can still use it if you go back a version on the Stratus

Please pardon the ignorance, but as I hear many folks talking about these aviation apps, I wonder what all the hubbub is about. I've been using a Garmin 696 for a while, and I've been quite happy with it. I kinda felt like I don't need anything else in the cockpit (electronics wise), but the OP mentioned he flies with GTN 650 and still uses an app in the cockpit. So the questions is, what do these apps do that a decent GPS unit doesn't? Just wondering what I'm missing and if I should get an app.

Please pardon the ignorance, but as I hear many folks talking about these aviation apps, I wonder what all the hubbub is about. I've been using a Garmin 696 for a while, and I've been quite happy with it.

You ain't missing nuthin'. I use a docked 696 and a 430W. No desire for tablets.

Please pardon the ignorance, but as I hear many folks talking about these aviation apps, I wonder what all the hubbub is about. I've been using a Garmin 696 for a while, and I've been quite happy with it. I kinda felt like I don't need anything else in the cockpit (electronics wise), but the OP mentioned he flies with GTN 650 and still uses an app in the cockpit. So the questions is, what do these apps do that a decent GPS unit doesn't? Just wondering what I'm missing and if I should get an app.

Not necessary but nice to have features.

Secondary gps source
Georeferenced taxi diagrams and plates
Synthetic vision
Easier user interface
Preflight planning with metars, tafs, tfrs, etc.
Fuel prices
Wind optimizer
Runway extension lines
Ability to look stuff up quicker
Distance measurement tool
Split screen
Airport diagrams
And more

Last edited:
Not necessary but nice to have features.

Secondary gps source
Georeferenced taxi diagrams and plates
Synthetic vision
Easier user interface
Preflight planning with metars, tafs, tfrs, etc.
Fuel prices
Wind optimizer
Runway extension lines
Ability to look stuff up quicker
Distance measurement tool
Split screen
Airport diagrams
And more

Thanks you. Just curious if I've been missing something cool.

One cool thing I like, but have no practical use for (yet) is that it switches to the airport diagram when you've landed and shows progression along runway/taxiway. Good for SA on the ground.

My biggest complaint with the iPad is battery life! My battery is usually drained after 1.5 hours use in the airplane.

You ain't missing nuthin'. I use a docked 696 and a 430W. No desire for tablets.

Yeah, looks like my 696 (also docked in the panel) will do for awhile. In fact, I don't even come close to using it to it's potential. No synthetic vision, but I think I'll survive. I just don't like extra crap on my yoke or suction cupped to other parts of the plane, but I'd do it for something that really made the flying experience better. That's what I was trying to find out, but it looks like I'm not missing much, as you said.

One cool thing I like, but have no practical use for (yet) is that it switches to the airport diagram when you've landed and shows progression along runway/taxiway. Good for SA on the ground.

My biggest complaint with the iPad is battery life! My battery is usually drained after 1.5 hours use in the airplane.

The 696 does that too. Pretty cool feature when landing at an unfamiliar field. I do have to hit the zoom button a couple times to access it. Not automagic, but handy.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

View attachment 57247

Haha! We'll, you should have let me show mine first because I'm too embarrassed after seeing how nice yours is.
I don't have a pick handy. I'll shoot you one in a day or two.

Pretty sure we hijacked the crap out of this thread. Sorry, OP.

Since we are hijacking....

I am planning to compile a list of things that I love and the things I wish they had/ improve in Flyq. If u have a wishlist, feel free to send em my way. I might know someone who can make it happen

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Since we are hijacking....

I am planning to compile a list of things that I love and the things I wish they had/ improve in Flyq. If u have a wishlist, feel free to send em my way. I might know someone who can make it happen

How bout atc expected route confirmation after you file?

How bout atc expected route confirmation after you file?
Guessing something about IFR, I will add that to the list. Primary student here

Guessing something about IFR, I will add that to the list. Primary student here

Yea, after you file IFR, it would be awesome if you got your expected route clearance from atc that is available in other apps. Other than that I'm really impressed with FlyQ

Thanks you. Just curious if I've been missing something cool.

I assume you have at least a smart phone. Maybe an iPad or Android tablet. Download a free 30 day trial of ForeFlight (if you have an iPad or iPhone) or Garmin Pilot or FlyQ and check it out. They all have them.

Ive used flyq for the last few years. They have some nice features and are regularly adding more. I think FF does have some things i would like in flyq, but I know flyq will add them at some point.

If you like it and fly IFR especailly look for the black friday specials. I did a couple years of VFR/IFR for the price of 1 year. Then a 2 or 3 years ago i did lifetime IFR/VFR for the price of ~3 years of normal pricing.

I'm trying both FF and FlyQ now.
FF seems more robust/refined, but I also like how simplistic FlyQ is. I think that was their intent....easier to navigate around (no pun intended)

Back