Flying with the door open

Discussion in 'Lessons Learned' started by Timbeck2, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Ryanb

Ryanb En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    Last time it happened to me was with Carr at FGU. Blasting down 3 on initial takeoff and pilot side door popped. Continued the roll and shut it once airborne at safe altitude. He seemed happy with the decision.

2. Zeldman

Zeldman Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Billy
    When I was just an instrument student, after the flight and at parking I pushed on my door before grabbing the handle to discover the door was never shut.

To add more, during the flight the instructor and I both commented on how much louder this plane seemed than the other 172s in the fleet....:idea::lol::lol:

3. Bill Jennings

Bill Jennings Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    This page intentionally left blank
    I heard Ben is no longer doing rides, both my PP and IR were with him. Good guy! Funniest Ben question: While doing my preflight of the 172 on my PP checkride, he asked why the plane needed a wire to hold the tail up. (ADF wire, Lol) He had other questions he asked that were posed in a strange way.

4. Ryanb

Ryanb En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    Yeah, sad deal. I understand he had some heart troubles and underwent open heart surgery a couple of months back. Returning to his DPE duties sounds unlikely. Definitely a good guy. Enjoyed my time with him.

5. zaitcev

zaitcev En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pete Zaitcev
    Remos is specifically approved for a flight with doors removed, but the manufacturer does not permit them being open and closed in flight. Also, I know from experience that drag increases quite a bit with no doors, and that may cause the engine to overheat. Although the situation may be aggravated by the heat and altitude in New Mexico.

6. zaitcev

zaitcev En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pete Zaitcev
    I had a couple of instances, including a checkout in a 172 when it popped when we were rolling for takeoff. I was a rated PIC receiving dual at the time, and I'm certain that I ran the check-list. Even today I suspect a prank by the CFI, although he acted innocent. I elected to abort the take-off.

Another time, I think I plain old was negligent or otherwise screwed up running the pre-taxi check-list. It was when I visited our friend Jay at Port Arransas.

In Carlson, I had a door pop open by itself. Again, I knew it was a matter of when, because of the latch design that used friction. So one day I started slipping to land and the door flew up and slammed the wing. What's amazing though, there was no damage at all. I thought the door handle would go through the wing fabric for sure, but nope. The door had just enough bend to prevent it. After landing, I modified the latch to lock the door mechanically, rather than with friction.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  7. timrb

timrb Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tim
    When I was a student pilot on my first solo cross country, I realized mid-flight that both doors of the 172 I was flying were unlatched. That's when I discovered you can steer a 172 with the doors.

Tim

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe likes this.
  8. Lachlan

Lachlan Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Lachlan
    I thought flying with the door open was required in a Cub. I didn't even know the doors closed til I read this story. Apparently Cubs don't know that their doors are supposed to be closed in flight, either, hence your need for some improvised lashery from your haberdashery.

9. bluerooster

bluerooster Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    shorty
    C172, with wife in back seat, and stepdaughter in front. The window popped open in cruise flight. Made a loud bang, and got very windy.
    I reached over and pulled it closed, and latched it. No worries. But it was quite surprizing to say the least.

10. mscard88

mscard88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    If ya fly it in the winter you'll close it! A lot more fun when it's open though.

11. Pilawt

Pilawt Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pilawt
    :D

GOPR0211.JPG

Lachlan likes this.
  12. Paulie

Paulie Ejection Handle Pulled

Display Name:

Display name:
    paulie
    B
    Boeings have plug doors, the only way they'll open when pressurized is if the structure around it fails.

13. Paulie

Paulie Ejection Handle Pulled

Display Name:

Display name:
    paulie
    Had s jump door open in my 182 with a pax that was not a jumper. Big hole for him to look out of. He wasn't happy. A little rudder and the door closed.