Flying with the Baby

2002 Harv

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
John
How many of you fly with a baby in the back?
Jen and I just finished the first leg of our second trip in the Bonanza. Is there anything for baby's hearing? Baby head sets?

John

Jen and I just finished the first leg of our second trip in the Bonanza. Is there anything for baby's hearing? Baby head sets?

John

not sure how young you are talking about, but I've flown with my daughters (currently 3 and 5, but they flew with me when they were 2 and 4).

I bought 2 of the Sigtronics S-20's that come with a Child Size headband, http://www.sigtronics.com/air/s20.html

They have worked pretty well for me, just need to make sure they completely cover the ears and make sure they won't fall off their heads while in flight.

I flew with my 3 kids as early as 2 weeks. A kids headset is too big and heavy for an infant, and their skulls are too soft to tolerate clamping pressure. Use compressible foam earplugs cut narrower with an xacto knife. ANY sign of congestion/head cold is a NO-GO item, even if it means extending a vacation.

How old a baby are you talking about?

Mine is 3 1/2 months and has been flying since 6 weeks (little twerp already has over 15 hours logged). We have a Peltor Kid Muff that he wears. He doesn't like it, but he sleeps most of the time so we don't hear many complaints. No worries about the clamping, especially since the back of his head is flat and I figure the headset helps to balance that out.:hairraise:

More important than hearing protection is pressurization. Plan on slow climbs, slow descents, and something to stick in your precious darling's piehole during those times. Like Ken said, congestion means no flying.

Frank

(couldn't attach pics to this message, so just look at the avatar)

Frank,

We use the Peltor kid muff too . . . seems to work well. Btw, your avatar is priceless :)

Thanks for the replies. Our daughter, Anna, is 3 1/2 months old. On the first trip we only went to 5000 and she slept the whole trip. The trip yesterday I had to go up to 11500 to stay out of the tops. The climb is slow since we have 110 of usable fuel and I did a long 400 fpm descent and had no troubles.
We have been using some oversize seat belt pads in her car seat and they sit up over her ears.
I'll look into the ear plugs cut down.

John

John

Sheri has a set of "Mutt Muffs" for her dog, they have a 360* elastic band and look like they'd work perfect on a baby as well. Other than that, I'd recommend those foam ear plugs that you twist between your fingers to compress then put in your ear. I used to use those working in a very loud fabrication shop, and they work very well.

Btw, your avatar is priceless :)

Thanks, that was taken with the cell on the way back from the Gaston's flyin.

Attachments seem to be working again; these were from our trip to the beach a couple of weeks ago.

Frank

Attachments

• zane.jpg
    zane.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 26
  • zane2.jpg
    zane2.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 26
I fly with a dog in the back/right seat. Does that count? lol

Thanks, that was taken with the cell on the way back from the Gaston's flyin.

Attachments seem to be working again; these were from our trip to the beach a couple of weeks ago.

Frank

Ha! I love it! The headset gave your little one the "smushed face" too. I couldn't resist posting a picture of my little guy in his headset (smushed face and all) :D

Attachments

• 100_0461.jpg
    100_0461.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 25
these pictures are priceless. I showed them to my wife and got the obligatory "awwwwwww".

Here's the Bonanza and Anna.

John

IMG_1284.jpg

Anna, post flight and post diaper change!
IMG_1206.jpg

Here are a couple of the kids I've flown for LifeLine Pilots. The boy is 18 mos, and the girl is 3 years.

Attachments

• IMG_0268 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0268 (Medium).JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0420 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0420 (Large).JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 14
Back