Flying with Kimberly

BrianR

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
BrianR
Upon planning a work-related trip to San Francisco for this month, I began corresponding with POA's own Kimberly about meeting up with her and doing some Bay-area flying.

She generously agreed to my proposal, and we spent hours arranging the details - the day, time, route of flight, which airplane and so forth. So following a long, tiring transcon on a 737 last week, I spotted her waiting at the curb in her Beemer with the top down outside the SFO terminal. "C'mon, let's go," she said. So I threw my stuff in the back and off we went.

Driving into the city, with the wind blowing through our hair, I was a bit confused, as her picking me up at the airport hadn't been part of our plans. The thought occurred to me that maybe I was just exhausted and dreaming -- after all, my body was telling me it was 3:30 a.m New York time -- and that I was really in the back of a San Francisco Yellow Cab with the window cracked, but bear with me here. She dropped me off at my hotel, and we made plans to meet the following night, after my meetings ended.

I was so excited about our plans I couldn't wait for the "work" stuff to wind up. At the appointed time, she appeared. After giving me a fantastic tour of San Francisco -- I am pretty sure at some point we were on virtually every street in the city -- she asked if I was hungry. Answering in the affirmative, she asked what I wanted to eat. Expressing a desire for real Mexican food, she said, "I know just the place."

We drove and drove. For miles. Asking where we were headed, I was told, "You'll see." Finally, we arrived at what looked like...an airport. She pushed some buttons on a keypad, and a huge hangar door swung open, revealing more airplanes than I'd ever seen in one building! There was an Aeronca Champ, a couple Cessnas, an SR-22, a PC-12, a Falcon jet and an Embraer Business Jet. "Let's grab one of the jets. Which one shall we take?" Kim asked me."

"Wha...wha...what?" I stammered. "But...but...I thought you were a low-time, new private pilot, just like me?" "Oh, that..." she replied. "I just say that on the internet. After all, if all those guys on those pilot forums knew I had a trust fund and was type-rated in these things, they'd never leave me alone."

I was in a state of disbelief. I thought she flew a 152. Nevertheless, I followed as she opened the door of the Falcon. I took my seat and watched as she fired up the APU and got the turbines running. Before I knew it, she had gotten our clearance and we were airborne. "Where are we going?" I asked. "Well, you said Mexican, didn't you?" she replied.

Less than an hour later, we were seated at a quaint restaurant, somewhere deep in Mexico. Over dinner, we told flying stories. Or rather, she told flying stories. My flights around cows and fields in upstate New York could hardly compare. Finally, it was time to return to the states. Climbing through FL 250, she said, "Your airplane." And then I awoke.

Damn! So it was all just a dream? Well, not exactly...

She DID give me the SF tour as described above. And we DID have Mexican...although it might have been on Lombard Street rather than in Mexico. And we DID have plans to fly. I was there for five days, and although she had the airplane reserved for most of them, the majority of available times for flying would have been at night, due to our schedules. However, she graciously had taken off work my last full day in the city, so that's when we planned the flight.

The weather was forecast to be near-perfect. Clear and light winds, and no afternoon issues with the marine layer. (Being from New York, I'm like, "What's a marine layer?") So leaving the city for Petaluma Tuesday afternoon, this is what we saw:

1.jpg

"No worries," she said. It will be clear soon. And sure enough, pretty much right where she said on the drive north, there was blue sky!

So after a brief tour of Petaluma and a great Thai lunch, we headed for O69. Calling the weather briefer on the short drive to the airport, we heard, with disbelief, the guy say, "VFR not recommended." WTF? Sure enough, a $#%#* marine layer moved in right before our eyes, the field going from clear to probably 500 feet in the space of about 15 minutes. And it appeared to be going nowhere for the remainder of the day.:(

So, sadly, the closest I came to California flying was sitting in Kim's beloved 152.

5.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

I want to publicly thank Kim for showing me the wonders of the SF area and for trying to fly with me. Instead of flying, we drowned our sorrows at the Marin Brewing Company, so it wasn't a totally wasted afternoon.

I can assure the doubters she's most real, and most gracious. I'd encourage anyone having the opportunity to fly with her to take her up on the offer. Maybe the next time I'm in the area, she'll have that type rating!

That read a bit like "Danger Diva". Where's Stan?

I have not read that book. But since sitting in a tied-down Cessna and taking silly photos while we were fogged in was the closest we got to "danger" . . . maybe I should. I was super bummed, we drove all the way from SF. Oh well.

(I am saddened by the growing hole in my logbook, no flights)

I'm beginning to think she's not really a pilot. That's the second picture I've noticed of her holding the yoke with both hands. Who flies like that??!? :dunno:

It's a secret distress signal, similar to those used by the POW's.

I'm beginning to think she's not really a pilot. That's the second picture I've noticed of her holding the yoke with both hands. Who flies like that??!? :dunno:

Rich,

We were on the ground in a tied-down airplane in those photos.... The yoke is also pulled all the way back and to the left. I am really a pilot. Heck I posted my pilot temp cert when I got it. When I fly I suppose I do only use one hand (other hand on power, or adjusting trim, or tuning in the radios, or writing something down).

So appropriate for a fictitious person to fly an imaginary airplane.

Yes. But in this case the fiction is more interesting than the truth since we got grounded. Though going to the Palace of Fine Arts and other cool places was fun. I got to play tourist in my home town.

Kim, maybe he thinks it's one of those styrofoam mock-ups like they use in the movies. I guess that must make me an actor. I'd better look around and see if I can find my SAG card.

And yeah, the Palace was awesome. Everyone at home wants to see lots of pictures. I think I took like 10 on the entire trip. Everywhere we went was either dark or foggy. :D

First I'm a teenaged boy and now I'm a cardboard poster.

Yes, it is a shame there were not more pictures. I can send you a link of a long-ago SF tourist tour thing I did . . . close enough . . .

^^^^^^^

Don't forget witch too!!! :D

Did you file a flight plan for that picture in the 152?

Don't want to jinx it but tomorrow morning is my rematch: flying with Mari !!!

(Everskyward)

And by jinx I mean I'm hoping for good weather, unlike I had with Brian on Tuesday. That was my first time as a private pilot being grounded.

I do not know yet our destination - we are going to meet and decide over lunch at the airport tomorrow. Seems better that way since we'll have current weather information and of course if the weather allows we will probably choose a coastal airport.

Oh and on Sunday I get to be the passenger in a Piper and sit up front for at least one leg, weather permitting we're going to a fly-in.

Aviation weekends are the best kinds of weekends.

I was in SF on Tuesday and Wednesday with my band. It was a lovely day to fly. I love that town. If I were to move to the West side I'd go there.

I was in SF on Tuesday and Wednesday with my band. It was a lovely day to fly. I love that town. If I were to move to the West side I'd go there.

You should have PM'd me before you arrived in SF. We could have flown together.

West Side !!!

You should have PM'd me before you arrived in SF. We could have flown together.

West Side !!!

Looks like we'll be back in the spring. If we make it back out I'll definitely contact you. Are those 152s IFR ready?

Looks like we'll be back in the spring. If we make it back out I'll definitely contact you. Are those 152s IFR ready?

Nope but three things:

1. I am checked out in the 172 which to my understanding is IFR ready

2. By next spring I may be sick of this marine layer and get checked out in a more "fair weather airport" where they are certain to have all IFR ready planes anyways.

3. (A girl can dream) I may be instrument rated (yeah right).

PS - I would love to fly with you. Send me a PM next year when you know your schedule.

I'm jealous that Brian took Kimberly to Mexico. She only took me to Little Rock. :)

I'm jealous that Brian took Kimberly to Mexico. She only took me to Little Rock. :)

Brian will chime in soon but trust me, he is jealous of us. The Mexico thing was a dream that never really happened and hey you've already been to Mexico in a plane anyways.

You and I both (I think) have never been to Little Rock in a 152 until today - wait - I mean Little River - ha ha now we have an inside joke don't we.

Awesome flight today, the whole drive home I thought "this is what it is all about". You couldn't pay me to remove the smile from my face. A jet pilot sitting next to me and putting up with my questions? Along the CA coast on a perfectly clear day? I think perhaps I was the one dreaming. Pinch me so I'll wake up. Wait - don't.

Rich,

We were on the ground in a tied-down airplane in those photos.... The yoke is also pulled all the way back and to the left. I am really a pilot. Heck I posted my pilot temp cert when I got it. When I fly I suppose I do only use one hand (other hand on power, or adjusting trim, or tuning in the radios, or writing something down).

Ahhh, I was just pullin' yer leg! :D

Though, it reminds me of one lesson I had pretty early in my PPL training days. I was flying with a new instructor, a British guy. It must've been the hottest day of the summer here in GA and we were crammed in the mighty 152. He wondered aloud how the heck people could live here in this hot climate! Anyway, we took off, and after climbing through pattern altitude I took my right hand off the throttle and put it on the yoke, just like in your pictures. I don't know why I did it; I just did. Next thing I know, I'm getting "THWACKED!" on my right hand with the sectional!

I thought I had really messed something up and looked at him like he had two heads! WHAT DID I DO??!? He just said, "keep your hand on the throttle." :rolleyes:

I thought I had really messed something up and looked at him like he had two heads! WHAT DID I DO??!? He just said, "keep your hand on the throttle." :rolleyes:

Especially with an instructor in the right seat. If you don't guard that throttle at all times they tend to reach over and pull it. :D

Especially with an instructor in the right seat. If you don't guard that throttle at all times they tend to reach over and pull it. :D

My CFI never pulled it, but to this day I hold my hand on the throttle until I level off.

I just tell the pilot to reset the timer on the panel. Since they're flying with their left hand they always take their throttle hand off to do it. Then I pull the power.

I just tell the pilot to reset the timer on the panel. Since they're flying with their left hand they always take their throttle hand off to do it. Then I pull the power.

That's why you trim! The plane will fly just fine hands off for the time it takes me to reset the timer (in the upper left corner of the panel in the 172N). :D Go for that throttle and I slap your hand. :D :D

That's why you trim! The plane will fly just fine hands off for the time it takes me to reset the timer (in the upper left corner of the panel in the 172N). :D Go for that throttle and I slap your hand. :D :D

Bring dog.
Tell CFI "This dog will bite any hand, other than mine, on the controls ".
Enjoy the most reliable flight ever.

Bring dog.
Tell CFI "This dog will bite any hand, other than mine, on the controls ".
Enjoy the most reliable flight ever.
David is highly suspicious of me moving or looking at anything what so ever.

Back