Flying with kiddos

LifeAsBen

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
LifeAsBen
This probably sounds like a total noob question to ask, and it is, but I've got my head all twisted around about car seats for kids. I was reading the FAR's and got bogged down in a bunch of jargon about approved kid seats -- honestly I couldn't make sense of it. I have two questions:

1 - Is there a requirement for the type of car seat used for kids?
2 - Is it legally acceptable to put the kiddo in the co-pilot seat? Do you recommend it? Why or why not? (note: one of the C172's I fly has front seatbelt airbags)

1. https://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/
2. Legal? Yes. Recommend? Depends. How old are the kids? Will the car seat (or kid) interfere with the controls? What happens if the passengers in the back need to get out?

How old are the kids? My oldest moved to the copilot seat (slid way back) at the ripe old age of 2-1/2. Used a CARES harness for him, with him sitting on a booster seat. He's 10 now, and wants to learn how to use the Garmin 530W...

Younger than ~2, I used a Brittax car seat that was FAA-approved. Rear seat only. Figuring out how to get it set using the plane seat belts was challenging, and I think it involved using a stack of towels underneath to get the angle right.

Truth is, little airplanes aren't designed for kids, with only a few modern exceptions. You have to do the best you can.

Jeff

I used a 50$ Evenflo car seat. The only one I could find that was FAA approved. Took my then 1.5 year old on a 10 he flight. Fit perfectly in the seat. In a few months il throw them in the back of an archer, but they might not fit. At the least they might need shims underneath.

Almost all true car seats are FAA approved. Most, perhaps all, boosters are not. But a booster adds no benefit to a lap belt. Only shoulder harnesses.

There is a general prohibition on boosters. The reasons apply neither to piston singles nor to most modern boosters, but they still aren't legal.

I have flown both my boys frequently at all ages. Current ages 14 and 3. Car seats when they need them in the back usually (just followed car guidance as far as forward or rear facing). In my opinion, front seat is fine with the seat back so they can't reach the controls until they are old enough.

I have been flying with my boys for a year or so. I just put them in booster seats (10 and 8 years old). They are equally happy in the right seat or back. They are only looking out the side windows any way. They're just a tab short to look over the glare shield.

My 5yo grandcritter. His 2nd ride and 1st XC.

Attachments

• IMG_3780.JPG
    IMG_3780.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 14
Back