Flying with Fireworks?

Meliss

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
goodjoojoo
I am currently on vacation with my family, and I flew myself up here. My brother bought some fireworks and has asked me if I will fly them home for him. I don't know that I feel comfortable doing this in case they go off, although I don't know the likelihood of that happening. Is it even legal? I'm planning to go up to 9,000 feet. Could they go off?

Based on this thread I'd venture it's legal but maybe not smart. It comes down to if anything goes bad it'll be illegal (careless and reckless) and if nothing bad happens then it was legal.

So...is anything bad going to happen?

Probably not a smart idea. As long as you don't produce a spark in the cabin,there would most likely not be a problem. If you had an ignition source,would not be pretty.

What kind of fireworks and how many?

Do a net search on "how to safely transport fireworks" for advice on doing it safely. I suspect the fuel in your tanks represents a greater threat than most legal fireworks would present.

Last edited:
You are part 91. Who cares.?? :lol:

Seriously, just make sure they are packaged properly, nothing leaking, box them up securely and go. And no smoking....

Uhhh, much like firearms, they don't "go off"

I'm pretty sure you need to lite them.

Id fly em, hell I've flown hundreds and hundreds of rounds of ammo and propane tanks for camping in mine, ain't a big deal really.

So this is from experience from several years ago when I used to do professional fireworks and EFX. At that time I could Delta Dash Class C fireworks, I think they are classified 1.3G and below now days. That means they are on a plane with passengers. Anything you would buy would be 1.4G so from that perspective should be okay. Fireworks go off for two reasons, you light them, or they receive a static charge that will ignite them. So don't slide the box around or allow it to slide around. Lost two good friends that knew better unloading a fireworks truck sliding the boxes down the length of the trailer that way. Static can and will create enough of an electrical charge to set them off. So make sure they stay in one place in the cargo area.

I am currently on vacation with my family, and I flew myself up here. My brother bought some fireworks and has asked me if I will fly them home for him. I don't know that I feel comfortable doing this in case they go off, although I don't know the likelihood of that happening. Is it even legal? I'm planning to go up to 9,000 feet. Could they go off?

Regardless of the legality, UPS and FedEx will not ship them.

Might want to ask why.

Likelihood of them going off is just about zero if they are in a container, unless there is a fire. And in a fire, the many gallons of gasoline in the fuel tanks are probably a bigger hazard.

This is one of those personal risk tolerance questions.

Just so everyone knows, if you put fire crackers in the microwave for 2 minutes on high, they will go off. Man, my wife was mad....

Would make for one hell of a spectacular crash!
That's kind of my thinking. Too much chance of a really bad outcome. Imagine the accident report that starts, "The pilot was transporting fireworks in the cabin of the aircraft..." Any number of things could go wrong in flight which would make the situation far more exciting than anyone could stand. Just not worth the risk, I think.

I don't know where I would have room to put something as dangerous as fireworks.
ubumeva4.jpg

That's kind of my thinking. Too much chance of a really bad outcome. Imagine the accident report that starts, "The pilot was transporting fireworks in the cabin of the aircraft..." Any number of things could go wrong in flight which would make the situation far more exciting than anyone could stand. Just not worth the risk, I think.

So Ron makes the great point that I did not in my how to ensure that they do not go off post.

Being someone that has done pyrotechnics in my previous life and know what they can do to a small car when the tubes go wrong (a story for bother time) they would not be in my airplane.

I would ship them. FEDEX will do it as long as they are placarded appropriately and you fill out the DOT and ATF forms. You may have an issue with shipping consumer and non profession grade. No idea here as I never shipped anything but professional ATF sanctioned product.

Perhaps a good evening of fireworks before you leave is a better idea :)

Back