Flying with a New Baby

aghoras

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
gman
Hello All,
Does anybody have any tips on flying a with a 3mo baby? We're taking her to see grandma. The flight will be 1.6hrs from startup to shutdown taking off at 6100MSL, landing at 5800MSL, with occasional 12000MSL during the route.

Thanks

Biggest tip is don't let the baby be PIC. They really cannot see well over the glare shield and their hand eye coordination is not all that good.

Other than that I would say have them sit in the back in a carrier with a parental unit and a spare diaper.

I flew with my daughter from the time she was 9 months old. It was winter, so I cut the foam earplugs in half the long way, rolled them up and put them in her ears, and put a hat on with ear flaps that tied under her chin. Put the car seat in the airplane (C182) rear seat, facing rearward, with my wife in the rear seat next to her. No problems. Go gentle on the climbs and descents, and don't be shy about telling ATC what you want. I asked NY approach for an early descent from 7000 on the way up to CT, saying "...I've got an infant on board and want to take it slow" and they were very happy to accomodate me. If they can do it, anyone else (except maybe those bastids in Chicago) can too.

So take care of the baby's ears, and he/she will probably sleep the whole way.

Eventually my daughter grew big enough to face forward.

small%20go%20faster.jpg

I wouldn't take a newborn to 12,000 MSL (not for 30 minutes, not for 5 minutes, not at all) without consulting a competent medical professional first unless you have means to put O2 in the kid. I realize that the kid was born in the high country, but I'd get advice first.

Other than that, standard "flying with babies" advice applies:
  • Put baby in back seat with adult care giver and baby bag
  • Make sure there's appropriate food/drink
  • Make sure baby is sucking on something during descent (ears)
  • Try hearing protection (foam ear plugs probably best), but expect a fight over it
  • Baby will probably go to sleep shortly after takeoff

This baby lives at 6700ft. Do you think a 5300ft climb can potentially be hazardous?

This baby lives at 6700ft. Do you think a 5300ft climb can potentially be hazardous?
You're talking about climbing from 6700 to 12000. You might as well climb from sea level. The effects are the same.

I wouldn't take a baby up without first talking with a pediatrician. That's on top of being at an altitude requiring oxygen for periods beyond thirty minutes for an adult aircrew. Consider the potential effects on such tiny and yet still developing lungs. Even some of the climbs on mountain roads can have an effect when these roads go up a couple thousand feet rather rapidly. I experienced that living above Boulder.

Find another way or stay home. That's my humble opinion.

Our son has been flying since 7 weeks. We didn't go very high and made him a small pseudo-headset. He fell asleep. We had a pluggy for him to keep the ears clear - worked fine.

My only advice is go for a test flight, see how she does, and don't make the commitment to the long trip until you know its okay for her. My 2 cents.

In a Cessna 172, most young, happy babies will go to sleep once the prop is turning. A pacifier / bottle is a great idea on the climbs and the descents.

Back