Flying Wild Alaska

Last season started off great. Began to lose interest by the end of the season ( too much fluff, and contrived drama) This season is far worse. Might have something to do with the ding-bat producer, Ariel Tweeto. A real let down from a show that had great potential.

Agreed. If I had wanted to watch fantasy and fiction (which is what FWA is becoming,) I would have continued to watch Sanctuary over on Syfy.

I laughed out loud when I saw the ice hanging straight down. :rofl: I think they call that ramp ice. ;)

Oh. I was fascinated enough with the insight that dem high wing guys can't see ice on top of the wings. I guess ya gotta hope the ice cooperates enough to let you see it on the bottom of the wing.

Last season started off great. Began to lose interest by the end of the season ( too much fluff, and contrived drama) This season is far worse. Might have something to do with the ding-bat producer, Ariel Tweeto. A real let down from a show that had great potential.
Code:

I kinda doubt the dingbat has much to do with the show content. I'll bet she's more like an intern. The drama and the backstories are all reality show standard procedure to hook mere mortal viewers.

Think about the logistics of production. The easy part is them having the cameras fixed in the cockpits and taping the intercom. When they show a hairy off-airport landing or at the isolated Little Diamode they can't very easily have a camera crew set up there BEFORE the landing to shoot it. :idea: So they vamp a bit to insert interesting footage.

I do like Jim Tweeto a lot. He reminds me a little of my CFI. I think he makes for a good boss for those guys.

I do like Jim Tweeto a lot. He reminds me a little of my CFI. I think he makes for a good boss for those guys.

If anyone that hasn't met him wonders what Tony Condon is like, Jim Tweeto has to be about the closest match I've seen.

They had alot of flying in tonight's episode. I was pretty happy with it.

I liked it too. A real contrast to last week's episode. The bush flying and the story of the climbers was nice. I've been to Barrow as a tourist - they really do look forward to the whaling season.

In that episode where Ariel was trying to land, oh, the suspense, she's having problems, it's tricky, they all might DIE!!!!, I thought the suspense was that Dad said "OK, now drop the flaps" and, as we all saw, she instead raised the flaps. I kept waiting for her to stall on short final and have Jim yell "NO YOU IDIOT YOU RAISED THE FLAPS! YOU KILLED US BOTH! AGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!" but finally I figured out the editors have no idea which way that little flippy thing on the panel is supposed to go....:rolleyes:

So, only having a little experience with flight into icing conditions- and no desire for more-, I have a technical question: just watched an episode of FWA with the late winter storm, and here we have ice allegedly forming on the wings of the C-207, getting really scary, of course- suspense-- will he make it that last three miles--. icicles. Hanging straight down from the leading edge. In flight.. Somebody 'splain that to me? How do you grow nice straight icicles when you're going 150mph?

I think Geico explained the ice pretty well in post #350

"It's so liberating!"

heh - it's all good.

--

I liked that interaction on the show last night. The climbers have a lot of respect for what Jim is able to do, and he has a lot of respect for their skills. That was some good camaraderie.

So when oceans freeze the sea ice is fresh water? I did not know that.

So when oceans freeze the sea ice is fresh water? I did not know that.

It works for stuff other than sea ice. You can increase the concentration of alcohol in wine (or other drinks) by leaving it outside on a cold night (or placing in your freezer) and removing the ice. humanity increased the potency of alcoholic drinks in this fashion before we know about distillation.

One can also treat maple sap the same way- the liquid left is concentrated in sugar.

In both cases, the ice removed is pure water and the "impurities" are concentrated.

I liked the whaling scene too. It was a good lesson for my daughter that:
A whale's heart is bigger than she is.
Food comes from death.

It works for stuff other than sea ice. You can increase the concentration of alcohol in wine (or other drinks) by leaving it outside on a cold night (or placing in your freezer) and removing the ice. humanity increased the potency of alcoholic drinks in this fashion before we know about distillation.

One can also treat maple sap the same way- the liquid left is concentrated in sugar.

In both cases, the ice removed is pure water and the "impurities" are concentrated.

Huh. You learn something new everyday....... if you're not careful.

I liked the whaling scene too. It was a good lesson for my daughter that:
A whale's heart is bigger than she is.
Food comes from death.

I'm surprised at how much of the blood and guts they actually showed without a "some scenes may be disturbing" warning ahead of time. I'm sure they were flooded with "How dare you damage my sweet little Gertrude with such gruesome images!" emails shortly thereafter.

Food comes from death.

Yeah. My daughter came to that stunning revelation on course 7 of 10 at a churrascaria.

"Oh, and what is this course?"
"Lamb, senorita."
"Daddy - what does he mean by lamb?"
"Well, you know, sheep, lammies....."
"THEY KILL LAMBS FOR MEAT??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:""

She is now a vegetarian. Her younger sister, however, is a happy omnivore.

Sorry for the thread creep.

How effective are boots on vertical icing? Do pilots receive any training at all to deal with such a deadly hazard???? :hairraise:

:wink2:

When Jim was flying the climbers in, I noticed they blurred out the wing mounted camera. Wonder why?

What an educational show/thread! Learned about sea ice, how to carve up a whale and how David's friend wants to take a dump out of an airplane. Priceless!

I have a friend whos life dream is to crap out of an airplane.

That would be a shi- bomb, for those who are not nautical types that is when you are stupid enough to flush when the snips are blowing tanks.

This is how apple jack was originally made, from apple cider and ice beer from, well, beer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_freezing

When Jim was flying the climbers in, I noticed they blurred out the wing mounted camera. Wonder why?

I saw that too. It happened on another scene, in another episode. A camera was mounted to a package that was being delivered by snowmobile. The camera got the action shots, then when it was being handed over to somebody, the camera was blurred out. Maybe they're trying to not give away the 'magic'. Either that, or there are some licensing or endorsement things going on. Ariel always has a 'freeze' or 'do not freeze' sticker on her coat, I'm pretty sure it's to cover the manufacturers logo.

I saw that too. It happened on another scene, in another episode. A camera was mounted to a package that was being delivered by snowmobile. The camera got the action shots, then when it was being handed over to somebody, the camera was blurred out. Maybe they're trying to not give away the 'magic'. .

Yeah, I think you're right. They also go to great lengths to avoid showing the cameraman next to the runway when they're landing, but sometimes you can catch a glimpse. Funny thing is, you can always see the lipstick cams in the cockpit.

Runway numbers are based on the compass direction, starting with runway 36 which goes north at three hundred sixty degrees. Unakleet's runway 33 is at thirty-three degrees.
:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

Couldn't they ask just one pilot to check the script? :nono:

Back