Flying Wild Alaska, July 6

The nosewheel pant on that brand new 172 was sure beatup.

A brand new 2012 172, owned by Cessna, obviously loaned for the publicity. Wonder if Arial set up the deal last summer while at OSH?

26 minutes in... Both Ferno and Ariel are sporting new Cessna logoed fleece jackets. Yeah.. Some sort of deal is going on...

Jim Tweto said he called in some favors from Cessna. I'll bet "Juice" works for Cessna, too.

The question is what happened to the 150 Jim bought for Ariel to train in.

N172FA was registered on 3/28/12. That was brand new!

Um, now about taking her family flying: 4 adults in a 172? And I looked on the FAA site, and while Jim is an ATP, he's not a CFI. I'm guessing Jim was PIC, unless they filmed it after she got her ticket.

Acting PIC. All 3 pax were pilots. Jim was front seat - as PIC. I'm assuming he was passenger current with as much as he flies. He was acting PIC while Ariel flew. It would be no different than me taking 3 friends up flying and letting my buddy fly the plane (assuming I do not have my CFI).

Just as my buddy wouldn't log any flight time for the time he's on the controls, neither would Ariel. She wasn't taking the family flying, Jim was, and allowing her to fly while he did so.

Hmmmm. I thought Jim was a CFI. He had been "training" Ariel.

I note that Erik is listed as technical advisor. They've done better in avoiding huge guffaws so far this season. It would have been nice if they had pointed out that student pilots can't carry passengers.

"The flight planning is math... Angles.... Probably some science thrown in there somewhere."

One of the better Ariel-isms yet.
The best was Ariel saying that the guy who reads the weather report on AWOS has a boring a job.

"Oh. That's a computer?"

And watching her doing pistol practice....:hairraise:

It's pretty obvious that Ariel doesn't do jack at Era except when she visits for the show.

That opening "At Era Alaska, all of our pilots are highly trained professionals. Don't try this at home." serves to give them the product placement each week.

Last edited:
That opening "At Era Alaska, all of our pilots are highly trained professionals. Dont' try this at home." serves to give them the product placement each week.

Actually, they only started doing that after this incident:

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/...show-inspires-pilot-to-fake-emergency-landing
"Discovery's Flying Wild Alaska is not one of those shows that opens with a "don't try this at home" disclaimer, presumably because most people don't have the opportunity to do stupid things with their own small airplanes. Perhaps the show should start running that, however, as pilot Jason Maloney proved last night that people will do pretty much anything they see on television. The 24-year-old medical student was already being goofy when he asked JFK's air traffic controller for permission to fly his single-engine Piper Warrior below 500 feet along Rockaway Beach, in Queens. "Just let me know if we're up in your grill," the pilot reportedly told the controller after gaining the permission. Sometime after that, it seems like he decided he wanted to land and then looked for a reason."

"The flight planning is math... Angles.... Probably some science thrown in there somewhere."

One of the better Ariel-isms yet.

Angles? Does she need a protractor? I haven't caught up on my Flying Wild yet (in the BF's DVR and I'm only there on weekends and we were out on the ocean in a boat fishing salmon).

Agreed...Ayla is much hotter. Why don't people talk about her more often?

Several reasons:

She is on the show less than Ariel.

I think they said she is married with kids.

I think they said Ariel didn't have a boyfriend.

Discuss.

What kind of number is on the plane in that picture. Certainly not an N number.

In the picture you link, that's a Canadian registration. Wikipedia has a great key with all of the prefixes for different countries of registration: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_registration

The correct N-Number for the linked incident is N132ND...the plane in the linked picture above is just a generic file photo of a Piper.

Here's the actual one:

alg_plane_crashed.jpg

Google Jason Maloney to find out what kind of day he had...darwin failed.

It appears the aircraft was recovered and repaired...it is showing registered to a club today.

The question is what happened to the 150 Jim bought for Ariel to train in.

I've been wondering the same. Anyone have the registration number in a DVR somewhere? I deleted all the old ones.

It really doesn't matter which one was PIC - as Ariel said, 4 people in the airplane and she was the only one not a pilot. Any of the other 3 could have been PIC with her flying. Didn't even need a CFI rating, true?

It really doesn't matter which one was PIC - as Ariel said, 4 people in the airplane and she was the only one not a pilot. Any of the other 3 could have been PIC with her flying. Didn't even need a CFI rating, true?

Well, I don't think the PIC can sit in the back... the only real issue would be insurance -- i.e. does their policy allow the PIC to fly right seat. I'm sure they did everything fine, but you COULD run across that in your own plane. For example, in my plane I can only fly PIC left seat, so if I went up with two pilots in the back and a non pilot who wanted to "fly" he/she would have to sit in the right seat.

I like the new CFI, she's pleasant on the eyes. Glad others noticed the Cessna logos everywhere, thought it was pretty funny.

I think Ariel kinda plays the village idiot. Which is perfectly fine because it gives the general public the warm and fuzzys. Since they may not understand everything the real pilots say it comforts them to know even someone in flight training can have trouble with this stuff.

Either way shes cute ;)

Hmmmm. I thought Jim was a CFI. He had been "training" Ariel.

It would have been nice if they had pointed out that student pilots can't carry passengers.

Aren't ATPs automatically considered to be CFIs and have authority to use those priveleges?

I like the new CFI, she's pleasant on the eyes. Glad others noticed the Cessna logos everywhere, thought it was pretty funny.

Yeah me likey. I probably wouldn't give her or Sara Fraher a second look if I walked past them on a sidewalk, but the fact that they are pilots definitely raises the hotness level.

Yeah me likey. I probably wouldn't give her or Sara Fraher a second look if I walked past them on a sidewalk, but the fact that they are pilots definitely raises the hotness level.

One of my teachers last year said she had a girl-friend who flies A-10s... :yesnod::D:yesnod::thumbsup::drool::drool::rockon::ihih::rofl:

Several reasons:

She is on the show less than Ariel.

I think they said she is married with kids.

I think they said Ariel didn't have a boyfriend.

Discuss.

This is a matter of taste. You probably didn't see the episode that had both Ayla and Ariel in bathing suits. Ayla is pretty chunky.

Personally I think Ariel is ten times cuter than her sister. Again, taste.

I think Ariel kinda plays the village idiot. Which is perfectly fine because it gives the general public the warm and fuzzys. Since they may not understand everything the real pilots say it comforts them to know even someone in flight training can have trouble with this stuff.

Either way shes cute ;)

Beats the hell out of a fat guy named Mikey.

Odd, I could have sworn that CGAS Kodiak was in Alaska. At least it was when I was flying out of there. :dunno:

You would think if they moved it to Canada they would have changed the name from Coast Guard Alaska to something else.

There's a missed reference to Ice Pilots NWT, which is quite Canadian and is also on the Weather Channel.

This is a matter of taste. You probably didn't see the episode that had both Ayla and Ariel in bathing suits. Ayla is pretty chunky.

Personally I think Ariel is ten times cuter than her sister. Again, taste.

Oh no I did see that show. And you're right, some like tiny.

Odd, I could have sworn that CGAS Kodiak was in Alaska. At least it was when I was flying out of there. :dunno:

You would think if they moved it to Canada they would have changed the name from Coast Guard Alaska to something else.

Sorry, the only aviation show on the TWC that I was aware of was Ice Pilots. I stand corrected.

Chelsea Welch has been around aviation for a while. IIRC from various articles, she is based in California and is big into aviation for women. She started the watch company as a student pilot...something about not being able to find pilot watches for women. She works as a CFI, a ferry pilot, and she used to be a demo pilot for some airplane manufacturer whom I don't remember. No idea whether or not she's working for Cessna, but I would presume so, in some capacity.

http://chelseajuicewelch.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the run down Brian.

Added to that summation, Juice, is like Ariel and Kim, in that she is easy on the eye balls.:)

Back