Flying WI to Maine this weekend

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Oh the weather outside is frightful... But I get to ferry a 172 to Bangor, ME. Delightful!

Any suggestions for good fuel/food/wait-for-weather/overnight stops along the way? I will probably be going around the south end of lakes Michigan and Erie and pretty much direct after that, weather permitting, so I'll probably be passing north of a lot of you. :dunno: Then again, the lakes do create some interesting weather so maybe I'll head farther south.

Last edited:
Well if you head into the CT/MA are the coffee is on me!

Fly safe!

I'm in New York this weekend, so if you stop in KHPN or KFRG along the way (HPN makes more sense, but is probably really not a good stop as the fuel is expensive and is crowded), give me a call! :)

Wx stinks and will all weekend so you may not be seeing much but goo. Keep alert for ice. tiz the season.

Kent:

Generally, the cheapest 100LL in Maine is at Silver Wings, located at KLEW Auburn-Lewiston. A 25 minute flight away is KIWI, my base. Drop in at Wiscasset and I can meet
you at the airport.

Two-oh-seven, three-one-nine, oh-oh-four-six. I can move on short notice. Good food nearby Wiscasset.

HR

Wow They're having a Sou'wester this weekend it's gonna be a frikkin MESS. You got a FIKI 180hp 172?

Wow They're having a Sou'wester this weekend it's gonna be a frikkin MESS. You got a FIKI 180hp 172?

Nope... And you're right, it's a mess. I'll do what I can, and surf PoA the rest of the time. :yes: Didn't buy an airline ticket back yet for that very reason.

Well you know where we are and I know of a nice place to eat not far from the airport. And look you get to fill in more of the north east.

Kent: if you're anywhere near Southern, NH or Northern, MA let me know.

Dont' come this way rain changing to sleet then snow.

KPHN 151936Z AUTO 34013G20KT 312V012 3SM RA OVC010 02/01 A2951 RMK AO2

This winds near the lake are not that light.

Bad Deal. Toledo is certainly solid ice, tops around 8000, further east at PHN you got the following- with the tops at about -16, it's a good bet you're in the soup up to 11-13,000 (follow the temp lines to -16), temp = dewpoint and the Zero degree line is at 1-2000 msl.

Still warm if your EAST of it already, though.....

Attachments

• PHN.doc
    780.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Still in MSN. Did the certification test flight on the 530W up at CLI today, and brought it home. I'd have had to go all the way down to Mississippi to get around the weather. So, I'll wait until tomorrow and then launch. Otherwise I'd be sitting in a hotel somewhere in Indiana.

This has GOT to be the best-equipped 172 I've ever seen. Garmin 530W with a WX500 stormscope and Ryan TCAD active traffic hooked to it, feeding a slaved HSI and autopilot. It's had a DME added as well, with a switch that allows you to tune a discrete frequency on the DME itself, or slave it to either Nav1 or Nav2. Oh, and a nice shiny new Mode S transponder - Garmin 328, which doesn't have TIS (because with the TCAD you already have a much better traffic system). It still has the King audio panel, KX155 Nav/Com 2, KR87 ADF. It has everything you can think of.

Everything, that is, except a 12V power plug. :mad: So, the 496 will have to get plugged into the Black & Decker booster battery I bought to power gadgets at OSH. Glad I got that!

Last edited:
Glad to see you checking in - man it is terrible here in CT with Tornado warnings.
152340Z 1600/1624 19016G27KT 6SM BR OVC011 WS020/20060KT TEMPO 1600/1602 2SM BR OVC008 FM160300 21017G26KT 2SM -SHRA BR VCTS OVC008CB WS020/19065KT FM160600 22014KT 4SM -SHRA BR BKN012 OVC050 FM161000 23012KT P6SM BKN025 OVC060 FM161500 28015G25KT P6

Looks like as of right now Kent's at Defiance OH, taking a quick break.

Last edited:
It is November. The Great lakes are showing their weather making abilities.:mad3:

It's pretty clear today - right when I was thinking I forgot it stays constantly overcast in ice until April. I may actually go outside.

That weather came all the way from the left coast.

It's pretty clear today - right when I was thinking I forgot it stays constantly overcast in ice until April. I may actually go outside.

That weather came all the way from the left coast.

Either Kent is staying on the ground in Ohio or he's decided to continue VFR, at least nothing is showing up on FlightAware past Defiance. Looking at the ADDS prediction of icing over western NY I can see why Kent might stay put for a while. I think he'd be OK if he could make the trip above 9000 MSL but that might be without any outs in a Skyhawk. There's a nice 30+ kt tailwind at 11,000 though.

SE bound from OH, 153 knots at 7000. zipping right along.

i bet he's glad that he slept for 2 nights on my concrete floor to get that commercial finished...

he's a commercial pilot now, probably getting paid by the hour instead of paying by the hour :)

i bet he's glad that he slept for 2 nights on my concrete floor to get that commercial finished...
Ya know, maybe I should do that too! My commercial knowledge exam expires at the end of the year.:mad2:

I'm watching. I don't know if I could sit that long at one time in a 172.

I hope all the new gizmos are working!

he's a commercial pilot now, probably getting paid by the hour instead of paying by the hour :)

I think you've got it! :D

He's now at 11k and down to 121 knots. Must have still been climbing...cruizin' at 131.

Last edited:
3:45 in a 172 is nothing. i think my longest doing photos was 5 or 5:15

We had bad wx here Friday night/Saturday morning where 2 people were killed about 15/20 miles from the airport because of tornadoes.

When you do launch Kent...Fly safe. :)

Kent,
I was quite concerned about icing issues. I am glad you made it. It seemed iffy this morning, but the weather here at Aurora, IL, got better as the day went on. I hope it was okay east of here.
I was going to ask to go when I thought you might go south first (which you did), but I wondered if you would go across Lake Michigan. I thought you might delay the flight until tomorrow. But the weather did get better, as I mentioned.
Sounds like a pretty exciting flight. You must be tired.

I wonder if he was climbing to avoid icy clouds?

pretty much, yes. that also explained his routing down to the south a bit. talked with kent on the phone an hour after he landed. layers were breaking up when he got to albany so he had a nice big hole to descend through ice free.

Kent with all that equipement the plane could fly itself to Maine.

Hah! Only if it was all working, and you could teleport someone into it to land it at the other end. ;)

The 172, well-equipped like this one, is a really nice plane when you have 30-knot tailwinds. :rofl:

Last edited:
Ya know, maybe I should do that too! My commercial knowledge exam expires at the end of the year.:mad2:

Yeah, Grant, DO IT!!! The 182RG at Ames is a steal and easy to make the transition from the straight-leg 182, and they have a certain excellent CFI working there - THAT also expires at the end of the year! Git 'er done!

I was going to ask to go when I thought you might go south first (which you did), but I wondered if you would go across Lake Michigan.

Not this time of year. July 1st through Labor Day I will if conditions are right. But, that's usually to get to someplace IN Michigan. You don't lose all that much going around if you're just going to continue east afterwards, though that might change with Obama as president since the lakeshore route is gonna be closed half the time. :(

Yep! :yes:

I never saw the 153, but I did see 148 knots GS (and got a picture of it too!) in level flight, and 167 in the descent to Albany:

web.jpg

Back