Flying weekend!

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
This is the kind of weekend I like - the kind with lots of flying in it! Well, hour wise I suppose it didn't help my log book too much (0.5 hours), but the experience was most valuable.

On Saturday, Missa wanted to fly up to 7N1 to check out a car she was interested in. I was to come along both because it was an excuse to burn AvGas and also to potentially drive the car back if she bought it. We got in the club's Archer II and took off. A friend who was visiting (another student pilot) came along with. He'd never been flying around IPT (which is a great area to fly), so we started out by flying over my house. Missa let me take the controls shortly after take-off, so I did a turn about a point of my house, before heading north. I provided the service of crappy auto-pilot. We found the airport, and I did a pretty crappy setup for downwind, and admitted as such to Missa, who then reported over the radio "Archer ... reporting crappy downwind for runway 14." That said, the airport has some pretty steep mountains on either side, especially for a left traffic pattern like we were doing, so in my defense I was trying to maintain a comfortable distance. :)

We forgot to claim 7N1, but it is a nice little strip. The people were very friendly there, and more than happy to just let us come and park the plane there for a few hours. They even informed Missa that she left her purse on the wing before we started up the engine for the returng flight. :D

Flying home I sat in back and my friend got to provide the services of less-crappy autopilot. Missa took over as we were approaching IPT and set up a great approach on runway 30. Oh wait! Those numbers say 27! Oops. Adjusting course accordingly meant going to the left a bit (that was fun!) and then being a bit high and fast she slipped the plane (which I wasn't expecting and let out a yelp) for a nice landing on 30. Tower commented "... your slip was showing on that landing" to which Missa responded "I'll have to not wear a skirt next time." IPT tower has a good sense of humor. :)

It's been a while since I've flown with Missa, and that was a good reminder that we need to go flying more often.

Yesterday morning after my friend left I hopped in the 172 for a quick buzz around the area. I played with the IPT VOR a bit before landing to go for a ride in my friend's Mooney M20F. He had a quick hop he had to make and invited me along for company and to ride in the thing since I hadn't ridden in it or ridden in any Mooney before. The M20F is a neat plane. I got to do some right seat flying where I provided the service of really crappy autopilot for the short hop. Doing the same hop again later that day, I got to fly up until short final. It's definitely a significantly different experience to a 172, and a lot of fun.

Only the half hour in the 172 was loggable time, but the rest was definitely valuable experience. A very fun weekend!

and I did a pretty crappy setup for downwind, and admitted as such to Missa, who then reported over the radio "Archer ... reporting crappy downwind for runway 14."

So crappy infact that he doesn't remember that it was runway 32....

That said, the airport has some pretty steep mountains on either side, especially for a left traffic pattern like we were doing, so in my defense I was trying to maintain a comfortable distance. :)

The mountians for right traffic were higher and closer... :rolleyes: I think we were a little low on downwind so that is why we were tight, on the way out I checked out the pattern and you can make it comfortable and wide enough at about 2000 feet but you have to wait to decend until the base leg. All of that I would have put in the ConUS claim but...

We forgot to claim 7N1, but it is a nice little strip. The people were very friendly there, and more than happy to just let us come and park the plane there for a few hours.

Guess we just have to go back to claim the airport

It's been a while since I've flown with Missa, and that was a good reminder that we need to go flying more often.

Ok! :D Next time you pay! ;)
Missa

Last edited:
So crappy infact that he doesn't remember that it was runway 32....

There goes my brain again.

The mountians for right traffic were higher and closer... :rolleyes: I think we were a little low on downwind so that is why we were tight, on the way out I checked out the pattern and you can make it comfortable and wide enough at about 2000 feet but you have to wait to decend until the base leg. All of that I would have put in the ConUS claim but...

This is true. Hey, I was flying so you had time to look out the window and pay attention to those things! ;)

Guess we just have to go back to claim the airport

Deal!

Ok! :D Next time you pay! ;)

Also a deal, but I can't have passengers yet!

Sounds like you all had a great time! I was finally able to get my BFR knocked out, yeah! Hadn't flown since 11/23 :(.

On final to 3M3, Brent responded over unicom and suggested we all three go to Winder and the Spitfire for lunch, so Brent, Will (one of our CFII's, fellow Mooniac, and lahso here on the board) and I flew down for a great lunch. The place was packed, when we turned downwind, there were three planes on downwind, one on base, and something like two on final (long extended downwind). Busy.

I love riding in the backseat of the 201, a very nice place to ride even for a tall 6'2" guy like me. Very comfy, and those big windows give fab views.

This is true. Hey, I was flying so you had time to look out the window and pay attention to those things! ;)

Ahh, but young Jedi, if you wish to fly you must learn pay attention to things like the lumpy gound.

Ahh, but young Jedi, if you wish to fly you must learn pay attention to things like the lumpy gound.

I thought that's what your 496's terrain warnings were for? Isn't that something like how when you showed me how to plan a cross country? "OK, so you turn on the GPS here, and then 'Direct to' and enter the airport you want." :D

The point was more that I was trying to fly in the air at the time and avoid the boundaries of the air (ground). My memory now fails me as to the specifics. Besides, it's a Monday morning. :yes:

Bill, it sounds like you had a fun weekend flying too! :)

Last edited:
Sounds like a blast guys! Unfortunately, I wound up remaining a slave to gravity this weekend despite the absolutely perfect flying weather we had here. It was painful...

Back