Flying VFR from Santa Monica KSMO to Carlsbad KCRQ

James Darren

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
James Darren
I'll be flying VFR from Santa Monica KSMO to Carlsbad KCRQ in a C-172. Once I get past the Queen Mary, I plan to fly south-east just off the coast.

Although I have some questions:

- Santa Ana airspace (KSNA) - to remain clear of class C, do you usually go under 1500ft or do you go above 5400ft?

- Camp Pendleton Restricted Area - I see this goes out approx 1NM off the coast. Do you usually go around the R-2503 restricted area? Is there a frequency to check the status of this area?

Many thanks...

Hi. Done that trip many times. You can check with SoCal of R is hot, but most of the times it is. So then your option is to go out top sea or go inland. It's a short area, so I normally just go out to sea.

Why do you want to remain clear of Class C? It's trivial.

Get flight following, and avoid active extended runway centerlines (midfield crossings above 2000 AGL are usually OK).

I'll be doing the same flight tomorrow night, but in the opposite direction, and have done it a bunch of times before, including one of my Solo XC flights. Easiest thing to do is get on flight following with SoCal. Then you dont have to worry about the Class C and they will let you know about the R if you ask. I always just go around the Pendleton R since it doesn't extend very far out, and the straightest course is outside that space anyways. I still stay within a couple miles of shore though. Usually fly at 4500 on the way north and 3500 going south mainly because those are the altitudes for the LAX SFRA.

It's a nice easy flight with some great views along the way. Dont overcomplicate it. Just get flight following and enjoy the ride.

Basically echo what's been said. Cross my work (LAX) either on SFR or Mini Route (and wave dammit!), FF down to CRQ. It's a nice ride. If you're using GPS, punch OORAH in right before CRQ, keeps you away from Pendleton. Cross the coast a bit to the left of the smokestack, puts you on a nice 45 degree intercept. I generally fly down at 5500, back at 6500.

While we are on the subject, is there anything a low time VFR pilot should worry about regarding the weather at CRQ?

does the marine layer burn off down there about the same time it does up here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on watching it for several weeks before my last XC - no :mad2:

As an example (Garmin Pilot running on the iPad), SMO right now is MVFR - 5sm vis, UNL ceiling with haze. CRQ is 10sm, but with 1200' ceiling.

Best advice I would offer is to watch for daily patterns (and then prepare for the WX to change on the day you have the plane)

Best advice I have for marine layer is to be prepared to divert inland.

You can very easily overfly marine layer (as long as you aren't a student pilot), but finding holes in it is next to impossible. Sometimes you can duck under the edge, but make real sure you know about obstructions and terrain before even considering that.

I'd suggest Ramona as an alternate.

While we are on the subject, is there anything a low time VFR pilot should worry about regarding the weather at CRQ?

On Sunday, I flew from John Wayne down to San Diego (KSDM, Brown Field). Two hours before I left, the local sky looked good, the METARs looked good, and the TAFs looked good. I departed at 1pm, anticipating CAVU conditions all the way, but this is what it looked like as I flew south along the coast and approached Oceanside (the harbor is on the left) which is just shy of Carlsbad KCRQ:

Oceanside.jpg

It worked out fine (I ducked under to do the low bravo transition near Mission Bay), but it was a new experience for this fair weather flyer.

Thank you everyone, all good advice. I will request flight following & keep an eye on the conditions.

At what point is it best to request flight following? Somewhere before the Queen Mary?

Thank you everyone, all good advice. I will request flight following & keep an eye on the conditions.

At what point is it best to request flight following? Somewhere before the Queen Mary?

From Santa Monica Ground. If they won't do it, as soon as you can contact SoCal.

Flying around busy airspace without talking to Approach is legal in Class E or G (or the SFRA), but it's really best to talk to them whenever you can. Almost no matter what you're doing.

Thanks again for all of the info. Once I pass the special flight rules area, can I maintain 3500ft most of the way down to Carlsbad? Can this be a problem when going through the Santa Ana class C even when using flight following?

I just got home from that trip. Flew at 3500 the whole way south. There's nothing to worry about as far as airspace goes when you're on flight following.

The biggest threat is the marine layer. You can expect it to roll in anytime after 5pm and stick around as late as 11am. Sometimes it'll be clear later, sometimes it will clear up earlier. Tonight it was clear when I departed at 5:30pm, but was under a 1700 broken when I came back around 9:30. It was high enough for me to slide under, but if I weren't familiar with the area I would have diverted. Making the trip in the middle of the day is your best bet.

Back