Flying V Ranch, Louise, TX (T26)

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
I'm working on flight-planning for flying to grass strips in Texas in a few months. This airport (T26) looks interesting. Does anyone have additional information about the Flying V Ranch? Anyone been there? AirNav lists a nearby restaurant...has anyone eaten there?

Thanks. :)

I flew in there in the raffle plane last September. Very nice grass strip - also the first (and so far only) grass strip I've landed on! I believe the owner has a Stearman restoration shop on the field, so there are usually a few Stearmans to be seen there in various stages of construction. I was there for their annual "Under the Wire" fly-in - there used to be a power line stretched across mid-field, so you'd have to land under the wire. Thankfully, that has since been buried, but the name of the fly-in remains.

Since I was there for a fly-in, I was unable to try that restaurant. However, I am acquainted with Robbie Vajdos, the owner of the field, and would be glad to email him on your behalf for more info. Bottom line is that it's a nice, well-maintained grass strip with a nice small town next to it.

BTW - if you fly to Louise and don't stop in Houston to see me and/or the museum at Hobby, I won't speak to you again! ;-)

Last edited:
I flew in there in the raffle plane last September. Very nice grass strip - also the first (and so far only) grass strip I've landed on! I believe the owner has a Stearman restoration shop on the field, so there are usually a few Stearmans to be seen there in various stages of construction. I was there for their annual "Under the Wire" fly-in - there used to be a power line stretched across mid-field, so you'd have to land under the wire. Thankfully, that has since been buried, but the name of the fly-in remains.

Since I was there for a fly-in, I was unable to try that restaurant. However, I am acquainted with Robbie Vajdos, the owner of the field, and would be glad to email him on your behalf for more info. Bottom line is that it's a nice, well-maintained grass strip with a nice small town next to it.
That's great information! Just what I was looking for! Thanks! :)

BTW - if you fly to Louise and don't stop in Houston to see me and/or the museum at Hobby, I won't speak to you again! ;-)
:eek: :eek: :eek:

But..but...but, I'm going to avoid cities like the plague and hope to land on only grass strips out in the boonies. :yes: You could fly to Louise. :D

There's a few other restaurants; nice thing about Google Maps "search nearby" is you can see how far you'll have to walk:

http://maps.google.com/maps?geocode...027,-96.397991&spn=0.037947,0.058708&t=h&z=14

The Kitchen Table has their menu online: http://www.tktable.com The guestbook has a positive review.
Now, how cool is that! :yes: It looks like only a few blocks from the airport to the Kitchen Table. Love their website with the tractor on it. :yes: Nice story, too. I've already figured out what I'm going to order from their menu. :D

There are at least 10 grass strips within ~20 miles of my house in Dallas.
That's great information! Just what I was looking for! Thanks! :)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

But..but...but, I'm going to avoid cities like the plague and hope to land on only grass strips out in the boonies. :yes: You could fly to Louise. :D

Now, how cool is that! :yes: It looks like only a few blocks from the airport to the Kitchen Table. Love their website with the tractor on it. :yes: Nice story, too. I've already figured out what I'm going to order from their menu. :D

There are at least 10 grass strips within ~20 miles of my house in Dallas.
Wayne, do any of them have fuel? We talked (while you were out playing golf :D) about one south of Dallas (T13) that has fuel. I was maybe planning to run up to Sulphur Springs (love that restaurant across the road) and then on to Cedar Mills and then on to Keller to see my son, but I decided to stay south and see a part of Texas I'd never seen before. Here is the latest version of the map. It will change about 47 more times before I leave and may not resemble the actual route at all if this trip will be anything like the last one. :D

Attachments

• grass tour 2 26.jpg
    grass tour 2 26.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 37
Wayne, do any of them have fuel? We talked (while you were out playing golf :D) about one south of Dallas (T13) that has fuel. I was maybe planning to run up to Sulphur Springs (love that restaurant across the road) and then on to Cedar Mills and then on to Keller to see my son, but I decided to stay south and see a part of Texas I'd never seen before. Here is the latest version of the map. It will change about 47 more times before I leave and may not resemble the actual route at all if this trip will be anything like the last one. :D

If you get up here, please let us know! Sulphur Springs is a great place to fly, as is Cedar Mills, and we'd love to have a meal with you at SS. Always have to remind myself to bring cash, as they don't take credit cards. I love checking out the Cubs that are built there. Factory tour?

If you get up here, please let us know! Sulphur Springs is a great place to fly, as is Cedar Mills, and we'd love to have a meal with you at SS.
If my route shifts north, I'll give you a holler. :yes:

I love checking out the Cubs that are built there. Factory tour?
Went on a tour back in 2006 and wrote a very short article with photos for my local EAA newsletter back when I was the editor. That was one of the months when I couldn't get any of the EAA members to submit anything, so I used it as filler. :D

If my route shifts north, I'll give you a holler. :yes:

Went on a tour back in 2006 and wrote a very short article with photos for my local EAA newsletter back when I was the editor. That was one of the months when I couldn't get any of the EAA members to submit anything, so I used it as filler. :D

Great! On both fronts!

Diana,

Here's the reply I got today:

Email from Robbie Vajdos
Hi PJ ,

There is a resturant 4 blocks from the front gate ....I will be happy to help her w transportation to a hotel if she choses to stay here overnight and can possibly squeeze her plane in a hanger .

Take Care !
Robbie

Diana,

Here's the reply I got today:
PJ, thank you so much! I appreciate your contacting Robbie for me. :yes: How sweet that he offered a ride and possibly a hangar. Texas hospitality is hard to beat. :) I'm looking forward to landing at his airport. This trip/adventure is about the wonderful characters and life-styles at small grass strips.

PJ, thank you so much! I appreciate your contacting Robbie for me. :yes: How sweet that he offered a ride and possibly a hangar. Texas hospitality is hard to beat. :) I'm looking forward to landing at his airport. This trip/adventure is about the wonderful characters and life-styles at small grass strips.

Diana, it was my pleasure to do this for someone whose hospitality is also hard to beat. I've not experienced it personally, but I've seen posts from others on here who have, and that's enough for me. Be sure to let me know if/when you come through the area. There's a grass strip not too far from my house (and two little-used paved strips even closer), and there's a guest room here with your name on it should you need it. If nothing else, I'll come out and meet you in person.

BTW... no flying trip around SE TX would be complete without a stop at Brenham (11R) for lunch at the Southern Flyer diner. It's a 50's style diner (complete with poodle skirts) right on the airport with great food and an awesome, screened-in deck from which to view the planes taking off and landing. Again, it's paved, but worth the visit, IMO.

When I finally got my Certificate the second time around, my flying was from a 2000-foot grass strip that was 5 miles from an 8000-foot concrete runway with a control tower. Best of both worlds, training-wise. I love grass airports.

Diana, it was my pleasure to do this for someone whose hospitality is also hard to beat. I've not experienced it personally, but I've seen posts from others on here who have, and that's enough for me.
What a nice thing to say. :)

Be sure to let me know if/when you come through the area. There's a grass strip not too far from my house (and two little-used paved strips even closer), and there's a guest room here with your name on it should you need it. If nothing else, I'll come out and meet you in person.
Thanks so much for the offer. :yes:

BTW... no flying trip around SE TX would be complete without a stop at Brenham (11R) for lunch at the Southern Flyer diner. It's a 50's style diner (complete with poodle skirts) right on the airport with great food and an awesome, screened-in deck from which to view the planes taking off and landing. Again, it's paved, but worth the visit, IMO.
Sounds like a cool place! I remember someone posting about it a long time ago, and they posted a photo of the poodle skirts. :) Maybe it was Spike? Or Troy?

If you land at Brenham, you need to try to do the Blue Bell Ice Cream factory tour, too. ;-) SAMPLES! YUMMY!

OK Diana, if you're going to Sulphur Springs, you're not that far (as the crow flies) from our ranch. If I'm in TX when you get there, and you have an extra day, I could come get you guys and you could come to the ranch for a 'rest'. It would be awesome :) And if you let me know just a little ahead, I'll make SURE I'm in Texas! :)

Last edited:
OK Diana, if you're going to Sulphur Springs, you're not that far (as the crow flies) from our ranch. If I'm in TX when you get there, and you have an extra day, I could come get you guys and you could come to the ranch for a 'rest'. It would be awesome :) And if you let me know just a little ahead, I'll make SURE I'm in Texas! :)
Joyce, thank you for the offer! :yes: It would be cool to visit you at your ranch. :yes:

Plan A is to keep south, but if the weather is a problem, Plan B may be to head north if I can't stay south.

Tom will be staying home, so this will be a solo trip for me, just like the previous grass strip tour. It was kinda hard trying to find a way to tell him that. This time around, he read it on my Facebook page first before I could figure out a way to make it sound like a good idea. :eek: :D

Yeah, he's probably all torn up about being able to sit at home, sleep in his own bed, watch whatever channel he wants, stay away from the swamp, schlep bags, pump gas and listen to the monologue. Poor guy.

Joyce, thank you for the offer! :yes: It would be cool to visit you at your ranch. :yes:

Plan A is to keep south, but if the weather is a problem, Plan B may be to head north if I can't stay south.

Tom will be staying home, so this will be a solo trip for me, just like the previous grass strip tour. It was kinda hard trying to find a way to tell him that. This time around, he read it on my Facebook page first before I could figure out a way to make it sound like a good idea. :eek: :D

Yeah, he's probably all torn up about being able to sit at home, sleep in his own bed, watch whatever channel he wants, stay away from the swamp, schlep bags, pump gas and listen to the monologue. Poor guy.
OMG! :rofl: That was so funny I almost choked on my wine! It's soooooo true! :D

Okay, I just read this to Tom and he laughed and laughed and said something about how insightful you are. :D

Since I didn't make it to this grass field last time, I'm hoping to make it this trip. Does anyone have any new information on this airport? Does the airport have a website?

Why does this upcoming trip remind me of a sequel to a "Phoenix" movie?

Since I didn't make it to this grass field last time, I'm hoping to make it this trip. Does anyone have any new information on this airport? Does the airport have a website?

Nope, but Robbie Vajdos owns the airport... maybe you can get a ride in his Stearman while you're there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbT8J8Prh44

(Turn the volume down, it's just helicopter racket).

You might also be able to get more detail directly from him on FaceBook:

http://www.facebook.com/robbie.vajdos

Nope, but Robbie Vajdos owns the airport... maybe you can get a ride in his Stearman while you're there.

That would be fun! There's nothing quite like a Stearman. :yes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbT8J8Prh44

(Turn the volume down, it's just helicopter racket).
Nice!

You might also be able to get more detail directly from him on FaceBook:
http://www.facebook.com/robbie.vajdos
Troy, thanks for the link! :)

Back