"Flying V" airliner

True, but how much of that is simply because it is easier for us to create something that rotates in a complete circle (propeller, turbine) for power, while natural things need a oscillating means of propulsion (fish/whale tails, seal flippers, flapping wings)?
Not all natural things use flapping mechanisms. More recent discoveries find that some bacteria use a rotating flagellum to propel themselves. The motor that drives it is still something of a mystery, with various theories proposed, including stepping-motor function and an electromechanical "cam drive."

One of several brief videos:

Not all natural things use flapping mechanisms. More recent discoveries find that some bacteria use a rotating flagellum to propel themselves. The motor that drives it is still something of a mystery, with various theories proposed, including stepping-motor function and an electromechanical "cam drive."

One of several brief videos:

Yes, that's correct. But those are at the molecular level where it is possible to have something that acts as an axle. What's interesting is some of them use positive ions rather than electrons (hydrogen and others), the energy source is still ATP. I used to do a demonstration at the Woods Hole summer courses where we could detect calcium ions being used in sea urchin sperm- it is used in the dynein motor proteins.

...how much of that is simply because it is easier for us to create something that rotates in a complete circle...?
...and how much of the difference is because natural flyers are optimized for a very different mission under very different constraints?

Nauga,
and his local minima

...and how much of the difference is because natural flyers are optimized for a very different mission under very different constraints?

Nauga,
and his local minima
True, you did mention much slower speeds and lighter weights. Some small model planes do fly under similar constraints (I'm thinking indoor flight, small rubber-band planes, .049 powered planes). Something like a california condor probably is approaching the maximum size, I think, for that design.
Still- interesting discussion. I'm not going to say you're wrong.

Why is it every time I see the word "sustainable" I think of this guy?

Lyle_Lanley.png

Back