Flying TV shows

ssonixx

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ssonixx
What flying/aircraft TV shows should I put on the DVR or download?

Airplane Repo
Dangerous Flights
The Aviators (ITunes)

Any others?

All the 1980s prime time TV shows had airplanes or helicopters often. Whatever happened?

Some of the doco's on Smithsonian Channel have been interesting. Recently, one on the history of the 747 aired.

They have an international show called dangerous flights. It's about ferry pilots and it's into the 2nd season.

Some of the doco's on Smithsonian Channel have been interesting. Recently, one on the history of the 747 aired.

I was on the second ever commercial trans Atlantic 747 flight. There were more crew on board than passengers. They herded us all up to the lounge and the drinks were on the house. It was a fun flight.

If you can find them, "The Aviators" which is supposed to be on PBS in the US. They are on their 5th season. Another show from the is "Air Boss". Look them up. There are some parts on their website you can get a flavor for the show.
You might enjoy the shows from UKs Mark Evans. He's sort of a George Plimpton of the UK. He's got two where he built a plane and a helicopter.

"Bush Pilots" is on YouTube, as well as Dangerous Flights. My fave was "Flying Wild Alaska", but not sure where you can find old episodes. "Ice Pilots" is also on YouTube.

Sky King???

Airplane Repo has its moments, but it is so staged that it is often difficult to watch. I guess they feel it's necessary to keep the average viewer interested. I never realized there were so many high security general aviation airports out there. In some episodes, the airports have tighter security than San Quentin. I thoroughly enjoy watching Dangerous Flights. It's also dramatized, but not so far fetched that it seems implausible. The Aviators is a good show, but their aviation tips segment seems to have run out if ideas; trying to appeal to too large of an audience e.g. "Find a comfortable chair and just stare at the sky. Before long you might see an airplane."

For entertainment I usually stick with YouTube. The guy on Flightchops approaches it very professionally from a filming standpoint. I appreciate his videos more than most. The voice narration is a very nice touch and he does a nice job setting up the scenes. Well, those are my thoughts on the subject.

Last edited:
I've watched the entire series of "Most Dangerous Flights" and "Ice Pilots" on Youtube. Both are pretty interesting. Dangerous Flights looks much more staged.

All the 1980s prime time TV shows had airplanes or helicopters often. Whatever happened?

Pffft. In the 60's and 70's, prime time TV had words like "VOR" and "heading". (Anyone remember Columbo?)

Today, everything is dumbed down to a "catch phase" or "sound bite". (Deleted a bunch of typing about numerous TV and news shows that are just ridiculous - why bother, we all eat it up...)

Ok, on a positive note: The Canadians have a really good one in the Aviators. Love it!

Back