Flying to Vegas

StinkBug

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Dallas
I did a search, but mostly came up with threads asking about renting planes in the vegas area. Looks like one of the planes I usually fly had a cancellation for the weekend so I'm thinking of taking a quick trip to Vegas for the night.

This would be my first time flying in, so I'd love any info on where to go, what FBO to call, anything I should know. I'm sure parking at LAS is gonna cost me more than HND or VGT, but unless it's ridiculous I'm sure it's cheaper than a taxi to the strip from either.

Thanks!

I did a search, but mostly came up with threads asking about renting planes in the vegas area. Looks like one of the planes I usually fly had a cancellation for the weekend so I'm thinking of taking a quick trip to Vegas for the night.

This would be my first time flying in, so I'd love any info on where to go, what FBO to call, anything I should know. I'm sure parking at LAS is gonna cost me more than HND or VGT, but unless it's ridiculous I'm sure it's cheaper than a taxi to the strip from either.

Thanks!
KHND the FBO will provide you a limo ride for free if you buy gas I believe 10 gallons

I've used Henderson the last few times I've been there. McCarran twice. Haven't tried VGT. It depends on how long you are going to stay and if you're renting a car.

If you have a car or are staying a while then Henderson. Last I heard they were charging $10 per night. And they provide a free shuttle to the strip, but you'd have to taxi back. I think someone else on this board was just there earlier this year and should have more recent information.

If you're staying just one night then maybe McCarran. Last I heard Atlantic was charging $40 per night. Plus $15 security fee. Plus handling fee if you don't buy expensive gas. Henderson might still be cheaper even if it's just one night and you have to pay for a taxi back.

I normally used VGT, they have a shuttle to the hotels, I never rent a car in Vegas, cabs are cheap and streets are crowded! :D
Call them and check all the fees and fuel prices, I'm sure HND or VGT will be cheaper than LAS.;)

Boy - the HND shuttle is 1030, 1230 and 1430 - and thats it - come outside those hours and you are on your own.

I've gone into HND when I have free transept [as in someone picking me up] - but if I'm gonna pay $100 for cab / Uber from HND and I"m going to the Strip which is across the street from Atlantic Aviation at LAS . . . and pay maybe $75 to $100 more than the cost of landing and parking at HND without that cab / uber ride . . . I'm going to LAS.

The story is told that LAS does not like VFR arrivals - its true. Mostly. Come when its not busy - then its not a problem. Busy is Friday night. Busy is Sunday afternoon. Come and go at other times and its fairly easy as in other Bravo's.

Don't call Vegas Approach up 30 miles out and say you arriving LAS. . . use Flight following from further way and let yourself get handed off to LAS approach, They seem to like that for some reason.

You will pay $2 a gallon more @ LAS than @ HND. So don't buy more than you need- hint hint - land someplace either in SE Utah or northern AZ or SoCal for fuel and 'top off' to waive the ramp fee at Atlantic - then pay their $10 overnight fee and use their transpo - they will drive you ANYWHERE for free in their van and pick you back up - so airport transport is free. Thats worth the extra $20-$50 in gas you will pay.

Landing at LAS is no big deal if you manage the fees appropriately.

I normally used VGT, they have a shuttle to the hotels, I never rent a car in Vegas, cabs are cheap and streets are crowded! :D
Call them and check all the fees and fuel prices, I'm sure HND or VGT will be cheaper than LAS.;)

No more shuttles @ VGT. Great service, cheaper fuel than LAS ,and $10 per night to park per night with first night waived with fuel purchase.

Renting a car is cheaper than taxis. If you are a member of the Hertz gold club they will drop off a car for you and leave the keys at the FBO, than just drop the car back at the airport!

No more shuttles @ VGT. Great service, cheaper fuel than LAS ,and $10 per night to park per night with first night waived with fuel purchase.

Renting a car is cheaper than taxis. If you are a member of the Hertz gold club they will drop off a car for you and leave the keys at the FBO, than just drop the car back at the airport!

Good to know about the shuttles, it's been a few years since I've flown into VGT! :D Parking and traffic has always kept me from renting in Vegas, and I usually stay close to the hotel or if I'm drinking cabs are definitely the way to go.:D

Thanks!

Do a search. This subject had been beaten to death several times before with a lot of good info contributed. Or wait for helmet guy, he knows everything....

Flown into KLAS a few times, it's easy but fuel is kinda expensive, I wasn't paying so it wasn't that bad.

North Las Vegas is a little more laid back, had to land there once due to crazy hold times for KLAS once.

Ether way, I'd say if you have a PPL and 30hrs x-country, it shouldn't be too tuff, well minus on the wallet, but that's sin city.

Do a search. This subject had been beaten to death several times before with a lot of good info contributed. Or wait for helmet guy, he knows everything....

Provide him links if you don't think he is finding the right threads.

I used VGT for my last trip and would have gladly been willing to pay $50-$75 more to just walk across the street from Atlantic at LAS to the MGM where we were staying rather then the hassle of getting to and from VGT. No need for a car in Vegas if you are staying on the strip.

I do know that if you plan to use LAS know and have your backup plan of using VGT or HND if case you do have trouble or delays getting into LAS VFR

Losing another $75 to Atlantic is the least of my financial worries when going to Vegas!

Back