Flying to the hollywood sign

dtvonly

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
dtvonly
Hi. The hollywood sign is just inside burbank class C from the surface. I think i will have to contact burbank tower to request a quick flyby then a quick exit. Please confirm this procedure. Thank you.

You can get pretty damn close to the sign and stay outside the Burbank airspace. I just did it last weekend.

I will be coming from ksna. I think keeping around 2800 ft. I guess if kbur did call me out then i would ask for a flyby request at that time. Thanks.

It's just a half mile inside the C, if you want a closer look I suppose you should give em a call. Just tell em what you're doing and emphasize you will stay South of it. Now I will deny it under oath, but I was an Approach Controller there many years ago and planes clipping off a little piece of the C down there at low altitude never made us even raise an eyebrow. Don't know if maybe they don't like it nowadays.

Just tell them you'd like to take a few pictures of the sign. ATC deals well with photo missions for the most part (my opinion). I've heard'em get a might testy when the photo mission is on an extended centerline and nobody bothered to talk to them...

Flight Following with SoCal and request maneuvers near Hollywood sign at desired altitude...likely will never have to talk to BUR Tower.

They are a Class C...procedure is to contact approach first anyway.

Yeah, call up SoCal. Since you are leaving from SNA anyway, you'll automatically be on FF for the first bit of your flight anyway. Try and have clearance set it up

I did a H-sign flyby on my discovery flight with a CFI. We took off from VNY, climbed to 2,500, did a few loops/took pictures, then off to Santa Monica. CFI never contacted SoCal or BUR and we stayed less than 5 minutes.
If I did it myself, I would probably have SoCal FF.

Back