Flying to Thanksgiving Dinner

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
How many of the folks here will be loading up the airplane and flying off to their Thanksgiving destination?

I have been doing that for the past 5 years and it makes the day so much better. Especially wonderful is the view of the traffic on the interstates below. Unfortunately it is looking like for the first time I may have to drive :(.

There is a forecast for up to 12" of snow along my route of flight with much of it happening tonight and tomorrow morning. I don't think it wise to fly in that. but I am keeping my fingers crossed the weather guessers have it wrong. I will make the go/nogo decision later tonight. I am just not looking forward to the drive especially if it is in snow.

I hope everyone has a nice holiday.

Scott

Scott:

I flew out to Chesapeake (CPK) from Dallas on Sunday. Visitin family out here and been doing this for about the same number of years you have. Really adds to the holiday for me.

Hope the weather works out for you; where are you headed?

Dave

smigaldi said:
I have been doing that for the past 5 years and it makes the day so much better. Especially wonderful is the view of the traffic on the interstates below. Unfortunately it is looking like for the first time I may have to drive :(.

Drive this year, and yes, possibly snow. Luckily, I have a large gas guzzling 4x4 pickup, so we'll likely take the truck.

Next year, however, I'll be IR, and I want to fly, if I can get my wife in the plane.

I might.

If I make enough $$ on Ebay with this Xbox 360 I bought (had to stand outside Best Buy for 9 hours...cooollddd)

I have a 5 minute drive and one left turn to make it to my parents place.

Flying to Sugar Land for Turkey Day.

Then on west for relaxing weekend in west Texas.

Bill Jennings said:
Drive this year, and yes, possibly snow. Luckily, I have a large gas guzzling 4x4 pickup, so we'll likely take the truck.

Next year, however, I'll be IR, and I want to fly, if I can get my wife in the plane.

I have an IR too but my plane is not certified for known ice. If we have the clouds that are predicted with the temps at or below freezing my IR is worthless.

Flew to Sis in laws yesterday. First time we have had decent weather on a holiday in several years. Only 67nm, but crosses both I20 and I30. Returning at dusk, both highways were stuffed in both directions. Return flight was .7 on Hobbs. Drive time is normaly 1.3.

smigaldi said:
How many of the folks here will be loading up the airplane and flying off to their Thanksgiving destination?
Scott

Flew KSNA to KHWD on Wednesday and back today. 179Kts ground
speed in the mighty 172 today at 11,000ft. That's about 55 knots of
tail wind. The average for the whole flight was 144 Kts.

greg

N2212R said:
I have a 5 minute drive and one left turn to make it to my parents place.

You have my sympathy since you have one less excuse to go flying.:p

Just returned from spending T-day with Fran down at her Parelli horsemanship course down in Ocala. Much better weather there than what I heard it was like here. Not looking forward to 20F on wakeup tomorrow...

Back