Flying to Sioux City

labbadabba

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
labbadabba
Looking like Graham Field 7K7 is the closest to my hotel but it seems to be a funky little airstrip. Another option is 7K8 across the river. Other than that, there's KSUX...

Any PIREPS on these?

Never landed at 7K7. For some reason, I was thinking it was closed, but apparently not. KSUX towered airport I used while getting PPL. Martin Field 7K8 is very small. Took my written for PPL there but have never used the runway.

Which hotel?

I know the guy who owns 7K7, I've been in there a couple of times. It's a hybrid grass-concrete runway (1000ft of grass, 2500ft of concrete, another 1000ft of grass), though the concrete alone is plenty long for most airplanes. Minimal to no services there; no FBO, no public fuel, etc. But it's not closed to transients, either. If you really want to land there, just call the listed airport manager and he'll either help you or direct you to my buddy who will point you in the right direction.

I know the guy who owns 7K7, I've been in there a couple of times. It's a hybrid grass-concrete runway (1000ft of grass, 2500ft of concrete, another 1000ft of grass), though the concrete alone is plenty long for most airplanes. Minimal to no services there; no FBO, no public fuel, etc. But it's not closed to transients, either. If you really want to land there, just call the listed airport manager and he'll either help you or direct you to my buddy who will point you in the right direction.

Yep, my big thing is to make sure they have decent tie-down spots. Expect stormy weather on Saturday. I also don't want to pay KSUX $70 in fees for 2 nights...

Yep, my big thing is to make sure they have decent tie-down spots. Expect stormy weather on Saturday. I also don't want to pay KSUX $70 in fees for 2 nights...

I'd definitely call, as I'm not sure they have tie-downs at all. Might have some hangar space, though. Not sure if all the T-Hangars there are full or not. It's a small, informal operation, I'm guessing you can work something out.

I would think 7k8 would have tie-down or even a spot in a hangar to use. I've got the manager's card somewhere, but can't think of his name. Would have fuel and potential for services in the event something is not working.

I'd definitely call, as I'm not sure they have tie-downs at all. Might have some hangar space, though. Not sure if all the T-Hangars there are full or not. It's a small, informal operation, I'm guessing you can work something out.

Called the manager at 7K7. All I can say is wow, what a nice guy. It's definitely an airport for GA pilots just interested in flying. As long as I can get up there before dark tomorrow evening I'll absolutely be keeping the plane there for the weekend.

Never landed at 7K7. For some reason, I was thinking it was closed, but apparently not. KSUX towered airport I used while getting PPL. Martin Field 7K8 is very small. Took my written for PPL there but have never used the runway.

Which hotel?

Hampton Inn in N. Sioux City.

Called the manager at 7K7. All I can say is wow, what a nice guy. It's definitely an airport for GA pilots just interested in flying. As long as I can get up there before dark tomorrow evening I'll absolutely be keeping the plane there for the weekend.

Glad to hear that, I assumed that would be the case knowing those guys. It's a neat little airport with some cool planes hidden in the hangars (including a Twin Bonanza).

Back