Flying to Phila, need advice....

CT Arrow

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Adios!
Flying (IFR) into Philadelphia, PA in October for a 3 day convention at the Phila convention center. What would be the best airport to do so?:

Phila Int looks tempting but I can see the fees adding up quick.
Northeast Phila airport or Wings looks to be my other options.
Is there train / subway service from Northeast Phila or Wings?

Staying in downtown area close to the convention center so I thought I could bypass a rental car.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Watch out for all the Yankees!

'Course, you are one, too. :D

Flying into PHL isn't bad, but it is expensive. $50 landing fee if you don't buy fuel, and fuel is expensive. PNE and Wings are easier without a doubt, and cheaper. All three can provide rental cars. I'd probably pick whichever is closest.

Flying (IFR) into Philadelphia, PA in October for a 3 day convention at the Phila convention center. What would be the best airport to do so?:

Phila Int looks tempting but I can see the fees adding up quick.
Northeast Phila airport or Wings looks to be my other options.
Is there train / subway service from Northeast Phila or Wings?

Staying in downtown area close to the convention center so I thought I could bypass a rental car.

Thoughts?

As said, going onto PHL is on the expensive side, but there is direct rail access from the airport to the convention center or by cab. The rail line from the airport stops at Market East station which is right underneath the convention center.

http://www.septa.org/schedules/rail/pdf/air.pdf

Going into Wings (LOM) will certainly be cheaper, however you will need a ride from LOM to a SEPTA line, the nearest is Ambler. There are taxis and rental cars availible, but the timing may not be convenient. The train also stops at Market East station.

http://www.septa.org/schedules/rail/w/LAN_1.html

I'm not so sure about the options from north PHL, but suspect it is even less convenient.

Gary

I have used wings for years ,as my son went to college down the street.There is public transportation available,with a train into Philiy downtown.Service was always first rate and they have done work to the runway.Gas was always reasonable.

Andy, PHL has the landing fee and I'm not sure what the daily parking rate is. The train is right at the airport.

PNE is nice, fuel is expensive landing fee is only $5.00 but not sure what the parking fee its. The major downside is that you will need a cab to get you to center city and even though its in the city you have to take Rt.1 which can be a major cluster.

KLOM Wings is about 1.5 miles from my house. There is a commuter rail station in Ambler about 2-3 miles from Wings. You can get a cab to the train station or one of the line guys may take you. Depending upon when you get in, I can drive you to the train or even down to the convention center. Caveat, Wings is now $20.00 per night. I think they will waive some of that with a fuel purchase, I'd call and ask. Give me a call before you come in and if there is time we can grab a drink with local POAers.

Adam's summary is why I say go to whichever is most convenient. By the time you look at total prices, they're close enough.

Flying into PHL isn't bad, but it is expensive. $50 landing fee if you don't buy fuel, and fuel is expensive. PNE and Wings are easier without a doubt, and cheaper. All three can provide rental cars. I'd probably pick whichever is closest.

PNE just whacked me with $40 handling fee to park there for 2 hrs. Look for my review on airnav, coming soon!

Klom wings has hertz cars on site. There was a discount code for $20/day rentals online for a while.

I have a suggestion that might sound a bit strange but it works very well for this area and more and more people are doing this all the time, including Frontier Airlines. I live in Maryland and work in Delaware and PA. I fly out of KILG Wilmington De (New Castle County) class D airport. It's only about 20-30 mins outside of Philly depending on time of day and there are plenty of shuttles, taxis, trains etc available. The rates at ILG are really good and the best fuel prices around since it's only a few miles from an oil refinery/depot called Delaware City.

I would consider flying in to ILG and then take a shuttle or train to Philly. ILG is a great airport. Polite controlers, easy to deal with, 3 long runways in a triangle shape, all good surfaces and good modern approaches and taxiway signage. Winds usually favor the 7000'+ 27 runway, I'd recommend the RNAV 27 approach, I'd also recommend Aeroways FBO. I rent and fly out of there all the time, a great bunch of people and they'll help you get where ever you need to go. They have a few AVIS rental cars there if you want to go that route.

Anyway, I thought I would suggest it. It's something to consider. Good luck, safe skys and tail winds.

Skypilot22

Thanks everyone! This is the info that I needed. I'll weigh out my options and see what works best. Adam, if its Wings, ill let you know and see if we can catch up.

Andy

Back