Flying to NYC area - airport with good public transit to Manhattan?

jbrinker

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jbrinker
I just drove down to NYC for the weekend last weekend and had a ball. But its a 5 hour drive for me (Central NY west of Syracuse).

I got to thinkin... If I were to take one of the club's 172's down that way (which, coincidentally is where my DPE had me plan my fake XC for the check-ride - KMMU), are there any appropriate airports with decent public ground transport access? Thinking something like train or non-insane bus route into Penn Station or similar.

Somplace that does not have $200/night in fees and $8 100LL.

I don't want to rent a car, since I don't need one while there. Uber would be possible but expensive.

Thoughts?

White Plains (KHPN) is probably your best bet. You may be able to get someone to take you to the train station and take the MetroNorth train into town. Try to depart home base light on fuel so you can buy enough to get the landing and parking fees waived or reduced.

Not sure if there's ground transport besides Uber that's convenient to the airports on the NJ side.

I would also recommend KHPN,probably the easiest airport if your going to the city. Fees aren’t that bad.

I’ve flown into KHPN a few times but never made the public transit connection. My favorite FBO is gone now. I used one of the others on my last trip and it wasn’t good. New desk staff were all attractive butt with little experience... probably better now. Line staff warned me of a fuel leak and I saw a bucket underneath my plane. As far as I could tell they just grossly over filled it and became alarmed. So, there’s all that.

KFRG Republic in Long Island is an option. I’ve dropped my wife off there to take the LIRR in to town... perfect for a Queens destination. They drove us all 3 times we did that but Uber to the stop would be fine as well.

It’s hard to complain about fuel and parking charges around NYC so I don’t

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I flew into HPN a few years back and did the metro north connection to the subway - staying in Chelsea. Someone from the FBO took us to the train station. I didn't take on much fuel but did have them fill up and they waived the fees for parking the few days we were there. However, I don't remember what FBO it was. Sorry. We did get a very long re route from CD that was ultimately a DP and pretty much what we filed so that was fun. . .no GPS in that plane.

LDJ. Uber/taxi to Linden train station (10 minutes), 25 minutes to NY Penn on NJ Transit train.

I always used TEB every week for over ten years

TEB + Uber is fastest and most convenient. I use Meridian for FBO - quite small plane friendly if not super cheap.

HPN + FBO ride to train is cheapest.

I opt for the former because the latter takes a while and you’re (probably) going to spend some money in NYC anyway.

I know KCDW, and Licoln Park have bus service into NYC. Or at least buses are very close to the fields.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Linden KLDJ, grab a cab to the train station, NJ Transit right into the city. Or, KFRG on Long Island. Walk to the LIRR station for a ride to PENN station.

Overnights are reasonable, gas however, especially at LDJ can be pricey.

I have done KFRG as well and just took LIRR into Queens, Brooklyn or the city. Trip from Farmingdale to Penn Station is about 50-55min Off Peak.

I have done KFRG as well and just took LIRR into Queens, Brooklyn or the city. Trip from Farmingdale to Penn Station is about 50-55min Off Peak.

+1

Easy peasy and inexpensive.

Back