Flying to Myrtle Beach

poadeleted21

Touchdown! Greaser!
Thinking about making a day trip to Myrtle Beach tomorrow. Suggestions?

I think choice of airport depends on what or where you are going to visit. Only I flew in I went to Grand Strand. It was to visit my son and family who were there on vacation and nearby.

Like myrtle after using the grand for years,myrtle has new terminal,a crew car,and friendly staff. price of gas at both airports are within a few cents of each other.

Like myrtle after using the grand for years,myrtle has new terminal,a crew car,and friendly staff. price of gas at both airports are within a few cents of each other.

Sitting at the airport with 1/4 mile vis and ovc 001

Should burn off soon. Think it's going to be a shorter flight today.

Grand Strand. KCRE. The folks there are nice. The gentleman operating the tower is incredibly friendly. Assuming he's working today. I flew there regularly when doing my student's XC work. There or Lowcountry ;-) Enjoy the coast. If you don't go there, why not head up to KILM or even better Cape Hatteras? Cape Hatteras always wins if I'm selecting east coast coastal airports.

MYR will let you borrow a car for 2 hours, and the self serve fuel is cheaper.

They are doing construction to taxi way bravo between the ramp and 18.

Last edited:
Sitting at the airport with 1/4 mile vis and ovc 001

Should burn off soon. Think it's going to be a shorter flight today.

Which airport did you choose and what's the PIREP?

Which airport did you choose and what's the PIREP?

Well, I just had a lot of panel work done, picked up the plane about a month ago. On the way home the alternator went offline. Id had previous issues with it before. So, instead of letting mechanic 3/4/5/6 or whatever throw some more parts at it, I bought a plane power and had it installed. My medical expired after it was installed last weekend so I just fired it up and and verified that it was working and went home. Got the medical re-upped on Tuesday. Went flying today. About 60 miles into the journey. All new panel toys went dark, alternator showing a discharge. Turn it around and head home. Pop open the cowling once on the ground, 3 of the 4 wires that go into the voltage regulator have "come undone". they pulled out of their fittings. I guess he didn't crimp them good enough.

Was at both last week. MYR has cheaper fuel. The construction is only a minor inconvenience.
CRE is nice, but fuel was more expensive. Ramp fee is $12.00 per night at both places, 1 night waived with fuel purchase.

Both airports are fine. Decide based on which is closer to your ultimate destination.

Well, I just had a lot of panel work done, picked up the plane about a month ago. On the way home the alternator went offline. Id had previous issues with it before. So, instead of letting mechanic 3/4/5/6 or whatever throw some more parts at it, I bought a plane power and had it installed. My medical expired after it was installed last weekend so I just fired it up and and verified that it was working and went home. Got the medical re-upped on Tuesday. Went flying today. About 60 miles into the journey. All new panel toys went dark, alternator showing a discharge. Turn it around and head home. Pop open the cowling once on the ground, 3 of the 4 wires that go into the voltage regulator have "come undone". they pulled out of their fittings. I guess he didn't crimp them good enough.

We are sooo much safer paying certified wrenches do this work...

Ratcheting crimpers should automatically apply the correct pressure, and a quick firm pull on the crimped connector tells the tale. Good crimpers are not expensive, worthy addition to the toolbox.

We are sooo much safer paying certified wrenches do this work...

Ratcheting crimpers should automatically apply the correct pressure, and a quick firm pull on the crimped connector tells the tale. Good crimpers are not expensive, worthy addition to the toolbox.

Yeah, im not the happiest plane owner right now. Just spent $9,000 fixing electrical issues and my last 2 flights since have been scrapped due to electrical issues.

Back