Flying to Montreal

AcroBoy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jim N
Yes, I've read the AOPA recommendations, but just want to verify: want to fly to Montreal (Trudeau) IFR for a business meeting. Need comments if the following is correct. Things needed in plane: radio license, customs sticker, registration, proof of insurance. On landing, call customs at FBO- they give you a number. Anything to do with Canadian customs prior to departure? Depart for States IFR. The Canadian charts look a lot different from Jepp or Naco.
Land and go directly to customs- do not stop anywhere or get out of plane. Is it better to go to a big city like BUF or a smaller one like Rochester in terms of clearing customs? Should it be earlier in the trip, or closer to my home base? Need passport, customs declaration, sticker- anything else?

Looking for the small nuances of personal experience and other tips here to avoid hassles.

Yes, I've read the AOPA recommendations, but just want to verify: want to fly to Montreal (Trudeau) IFR for a business meeting. Need comments if the following is correct. Things needed in plane: radio license, customs sticker, registration, proof of insurance. On landing, call customs at FBO- they give you a number. Anything to do with Canadian customs prior to departure? Depart for States IFR. The Canadian charts look a lot different from Jepp or Naco.
Land and go directly to customs- do not stop anywhere or get out of plane. Is it better to go to a big city like BUF or a smaller one like Rochester in terms of clearing customs? Should it be earlier in the trip, or closer to my home base? Need passport, customs declaration, sticker- anything else?

Looking for the small nuances of personal experience and other tips here to avoid hassles.

And be sure you have your passport.

Ports of Entry are listed in the AFD. Most require a call ahead to have the customs official meet you at the designated time.

Sounds like you are well prepared.
Call Canadian customs no less than 2 hours before your arrival. No need to contact Canadian customs on departure. Don't sweat the radio license, I've never been asked for it. No difference between BUF and ROC as far as customs but I usually like to clear at the first opportunity in case I have an unscheduled mechanical or bio break.
Just remember that if you make things easy for the customs officers they will treat you well. I have the arrival report filled out and all documents ready when they arrive. I also offer to fax the arrival report before departure. Some appreciate the offer and some decline.
Be sure to visit Hurley's on Crescent Street. Odd that the best Irish pub is in Montreal.

The Canadian charts look a lot different from Jepp or Naco.
You can order a set of Canadian charts from Jepp which will look just like the US version.
Be aware that controllers in Montreal will be speaking French to French-speaking pilots. Of course they speak English to English-speaking pilots, but this was a bit of a revelation to me the first time I heard it.

Canadians use the phrase "line up" or "line up and wait" instead of the US "position and hold". It means the same thing.

What's the status of needing "English Speaking" on the pilot certificate? Is that still on hold for US pilots? (Kind of funny given Mari's comment about them speaking French :))

And to be legal both the plane and pilot will require a radio license, though many I've spoken with say that the pilot's radio license is rarely requested.

Depending on how far in advance you're looking at this, you could get a CANPASS, which costs $40/person but makes things a little less restrictive. Takes about 2 months, though.

What's the status of needing "English Speaking" on the pilot certificate? Is that still on hold for US pilots? (Kind of funny given Mari's comment about them speaking French :))
It's on hold until next year (March 5, 2009).

And to be legal both the plane and pilot will require a radio license, though many I've spoken with say that the pilot's radio license is rarely requested.
A couple years ago I had my wallet stolen. Of course I remembered to replace my pilot's certificate and medical, among many other things, but I completely forgot about my radiotelephone operator's permit... for at least a year. For whatever reason, one day it dawned on me. Oops. I had been to Canada quite a few times in the interim.

When I got the radio license, I was unable to find anything about the operator's license on the FCC web page. It is about as vague as the POA GUI. I did get the radio station license, but thought they were the same thing. Any links would be appreciated.

Anyone been to the FBO's at Montreal?

Well there are a lot of things supposedly required that I've never been asked for - Radio License (both plane & pilot), a new one 406MHz ELT required by the FAA for international flights as of June 1st.

Here is a document that may help.

Attachments

• Before You Go.doc
    52 KB · Views: 8
Well there are a lot of things supposedly required that I've never been asked for - Radio License (both plane & pilot), a new one 406MHz ELT required by the FAA for international flights as of June 1st.

Here is a document that may help.
You've got the link to the FCC to get the Restricted Radio Operator's permit in that document; thanks. I'll say up front that the FCC's directions on their site are less than clear.

I've been to Avitat Skyservice and Shell Aerocentre which are right next to each other on the southeast side. They are both fine, in fact I usually can't remember which is which until I walk inside. :dunno:

When I got the radio license, I was unable to find anything about the operator's license on the FCC web page. It is about as vague as the POA GUI. I did get the radio station license, but thought they were the same thing. Any links would be appreciated.

Here is the info on the operators license.
http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/rp.html

Radio licenses -- IIRC, you don't need these when flying within the US and you don't need them when flying within Canada. Just crossing the border, and I think the outbound country requires it. So, if Canada actually checked, they'd really be doing on behalf of the US. I fretted about this a bit before I went because I was flying a rental.

Calling customs -- I called ahead and found out I was going to cut it very close to the customs closing time at the field. So, my 2 fuel stops along the way were like NASCAR pit stops. After all the rushing, I show up, call the 800-number and am given a number. That's it. Didn't talk to anyone on the field.

Back