Flying to Montreal from NY

N521MA

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyBoy
Planning an April flight to Montreal, Canada (CYHU St. Hubert) from NY KFRG (strictly pleasure) Although this should be a nice and quick flight from NY I wanted to see if I can get any solid advises on flying international; customs; flight following; crossing borders; special planning ahead.

Not really sure what to ask since I have not flown internationally ever.

Any input would be appreciated :) thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am interested to know as well. I have done bahamas and they are points of entry and you need a vrf flight plan. No vfr at night in bahamas eiither...

Interested to hear canada customs experience. :popcorn::popcorn:

I've only ever done it IFR, so I can't comment on the VFR parts. If IFR, just file your flight plan as you normally would.

File eAPIS before leaving and before returning. Call CanPass (1-800-CANPASS) before heading to Canada and once you land. Most of the time, they don't even come to the plane to meet you. Make sure to call FRG customs before taking off to return home.

Pretty simple, really. In all the times I've done it, never had any problems.

If VFR, you need to have an active VFR flight plan, be talking to ATC and have a discrete code. Flight following works fine for the last two items.

So, call up and start flight following stateside, and they will hand you off as you cross the border?

Border crossing, study the aviation links on the Customs and Boarder Patrol web site.
You need to have the aircraft registerd with CBP and a sticker issued and placed on the aircraft where they want it placed.
You need an FCC station license for the aircraft radio.
You need to register with CBP as Pilot in Command and learn about eApis filing for border crossings.
You need passports for you and your passengers.
Your aircraft needs insurance acceptable to Canada.

AOPA has a good "starter" links to things you need to know for international flying.
It's good to start now, if you are planning your first trip later this summer.

Back