Flying to McAllen KMFE

SmashTime

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
SmashTime
Any pireps on what to expect that close to the border?

Got invited to a whitetail hunt at a ranch in mexico for free, just wanted to know what to expect during the airport portion.

If flew to Zapata County awhile back...no action required with respect to the border though I had an eye out for coyotes on the runway.

I couldn't get flight following on the way out 'cause of some radar problem. I didn't ask why they couldn't get a feed from DEA. Watch out for the big damn balloon.

Just don't cross the border.

And yes, watch out for coyotes even during the day.

Before leaving, check the wheel wells for unlisted passengers... :lol:

Any pireps on what to expect that close to the border?

Got invited to a whitetail hunt at a ranch in mexico for free, just wanted to know what to expect during the airport portion.

Am guessing your "host" is providing the firearms and ammo. Don't cross with your own unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing.

Visited the airport as part of my IFR Training with Ron L. Easy to deal with. Good controllers. Nice airport. Far enough from the border to not be a concern if you're flying like you should be.

McCreery Aviation is a really nice FBO. Don't forget to tell them it's your first time there -- you get a nice T-shirt with the airport diagram, freqs, and phone numbers on it. ;)

What would I need to fly to MMMY airport in mexico? It's in Monterey.

I know I'd have to have the radio license, but what does one need to fly into mexico?

Never mind, I just looked at the AOPA website about flying into mexico... forget that headache.

Last edited:
What do you need to land in Monterey?......

Body armor.

Thanks for that link, I'll chronical and video my trip. Starts the 27th this month.

If you're looking for dove hunting, practically anywhere on the border on the U.S. side works. Lajitas has a private runway at BigBend (need permission to land there - just call), runway has huge "waves" in the cement be careful.

Deer hunting anywhere near Junction TX and east will work. Plenty of airports.

If you're looking for dove hunting, practically anywhere on the border on the U.S. side works. Lajitas has a private runway at BigBend (need permission to land there - just call), runway has huge "waves" in the cement be careful.

Deer hunting anywhere near Junction TX and east will work. Plenty of airports.

This is a free hunt. I can't afford a typical whitetail hunt down here

We fly to McAllen regularly. The FBO is terrific, the service is excellent, there is a mall at the end of the North/South runway (with a Macy's), and the traffic count is low enough to not worry too much about it.

You won't hear too much English if you get off the beaten path. There are a few excellent restaurants within walking distance, and even more within a short drive. Mary enjoys walking over to the mall.

if you fly into monterrey, mman, which is the ga airport ask for the the ops guy and he will help you out for a small tip. plane towed, cleaned, gassed up, and help getting through immigration and authorities. flying in mexico is exactly the same as in the us except that night vfr is prohibited and you ALWAYS need to file a flight plan.
deug wars and crime is no where as bad as it used to be five to ten years ago. things have improved a ton.

if you fly into monterrey, mman, which is the ga airport ask for the the ops guy and he will help you out for a small tip. plane towed, cleaned, gassed up, and help getting through immigration and authorities. flying in mexico is exactly the same as in the us except that night vfr is prohibited and you ALWAYS need to file a flight plan.
deug wars and crime is no where as bad as it used to be five to ten years ago. things have improved a ton.

This is good to know. I think next year I'll fly int Monterrey though.

Flight planned tomorrow around noon depending on weather. Looks like I'll have to fly low the whole way or get on top early if possible.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Shoot straight.

Oh, on the flight? Enjoy. Get yer instrument rating this spring...

just looked at the surface analysis - weather should be improving throughout the day so be patient.

Last edited:
Shoot straight.

Oh, on the flight? Enjoy. Get yer instrument rating this spring...

just looked at the surface analysis - weather should be improving throughout the day so be patient.

Yea It's one of my new year resolutions. But as far as the route is concerned do you see anything that would be a no go?

I plan to call the flight briefer around 10am.

Yea It's one of my new year resolutions. But as far as the route is concerned do you see anything that would be a no go?

I plan to call the flight briefer around 10am.

The model run shows the border area looking pretty clear through most of the day but some small chance of problems after sundown. Prolly be just fine but I'm not that familiar with weather patterns in your part of the world or how the model runs relate to reality there.

I don't know exactly where you're based (and it really wouldn't matter much) but maybe go straight west to clear skies or at least acceptable ceiling and then head for MFE. Be on FF 'cause there are some airspace concerns along the border.

The model run shows the border area looking pretty clear through most of the day but some small chance of problems after sundown. Prolly be just fine but I'm not that familiar with weather patterns in your part of the world or how the model runs relate to reality there.

I don't know exactly where you're based (and it really wouldn't matter much) but maybe go straight west to clear skies or at least acceptable ceiling and then head for MFE. Be on FF 'cause there are some airspace concerns along the border.

KGKY is where I'm departing from the weather website I use is telling me to expect 2000-3000ft ceilings at noon.

KGKY is where I'm departing from the weather website I use is telling me to expect 2000-3000ft ceilings at noon.

The current winds aloft forecast shows low altitude (3,000') flowing up from the Gulf (moisture, rain, fog maybe) the 6,000' stuff is flowing in from the southwest. Freezing shouldn't be a problem. If it is legal to depart, fly west to higher ceilings then turn south to destination. No big deal, just wait for a legal departure. Of course check the TAFs along your route and at destination - expect them to show acceptable weather since a cold front is moving east from the area. Get real concerned if they don't show improving weather. Ask the briefer why. Okay, you won't get a real answer from the briefer but at least you'll feel better since you asked. Don't ask about why I know this.

Overall, nothing looks scary (ice or t-storms). Just wait for acceptable ceilings and go fly. Don't bump into any towers, it ruins your whole day.

The current winds aloft forecast shows low altitude (3,000') flowing up from the Gulf (moisture, rain, fog maybe) the 6,000' stuff is flowing in from the southwest. Freezing shouldn't be a problem. If it is legal to depart, fly west to higher ceilings then turn south to destination. No big deal, just wait for a legal departure. Of course check the TAFs along your route and at destination - expect them to show acceptable weather since a cold front is moving east from the area. Get real concerned if they don't show improving weather. Ask the briefer why. Okay, you won't get a real answer from the briefer but at least you'll feel better since you asked. Don't ask about why I know this.

Overall, nothing looks scary (ice or t-storms). Just wait for acceptable ceilings and go fly. Don't bump into any towers, it ruins your whole day.

I really appreciate your input. I think I'll fly west towards abilene until the ceilings get higher like suggested and then head south towards McAllen. The forcast appear to get better as the day progresses so a stop for fuel and better weather won't be out of the question. I'd like to get there as soon as possible but in all reality I am in no hurry as I have the whole day to complete the flight .

The only other thing I can add is check TAFs early and then later check actual conditions and compare to the TAFs. If the actual conditions are better then you're usually golden, if they are worse then maybe re-evaluate.

TAFs look poor for a VFR flight...

McCreery Aviation is a really nice FBO. Don't forget to tell them it's your first time there -- you get a nice T-shirt with the airport diagram, freqs, and phone numbers on it. ;)

Dang, if I had known that when I flew in there my first time, I would have asked for a T-shirt. :(

I have a hobby that involves stalking Elon Musk. Last fall I flew down to Brownsville to take some pictures of his new rocket launch site at Boca Chica beach, just after the groundbreaking ceremony.

The new site is just yards away from the Rio Grande. When I told Valley Approach that I wanted to orbit over Boca Chica he asked me 'are you going to remain north of the Rio Grande?' to which I of course said I would.

dyum3Y1.png

Ud0BgD3.png

I orbited taking pictures for about 15 and then recovered at Brownsville, talking to approach the whole time.

No visits from Men in Black or anything.

Back