Flying to LGA

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
I've never had to do a slot reservation. How does it work at LGA, and what are your experiences with it? Also, how well did they treat you at the GA terminal. Is that where you pay your landing fee?

THANKS!

(Will be flying a Saratoga or Seneca.)

wangmyers said:
I've never had to do a slot reservation. How does it work at LGA, and what are your experiences with it? Also, how well did they treat you at the GA terminal. Is that where you pay your landing fee?
LGA is one of my least favorite airports to fly into GA but that has mostly to do with the fact that you park your airplane a ways away from the FBO so you need to take a van ride each time you want to go back and forth. The people at the FBO (Sheltair) are friendly, but that doesn't really make up for the logistical problem. The FBO is where you pay your landing fee. I'm not sure how much it is for a Seneca or a Saratoga.

You can get a reservation on this site. But you have to sign up first.

http://www.fly.faa.gov/ecvrs/

Truthfully, I'm not the one who usually makes the reservations. Ops does that for us, but I changed a slot once with no problem. I've had some lengthy delays, however, trying to take off, even with a reservation. Is there any particular reason that LGA would work best for you?

Good luck!

Ben,
If you have your heart set on LGA then I can't help you really since I've never flown into there, but if you are looking for a fast convenient way into NYC, I recommend KCDW, out in NJ. It's a 30 min. bus ride into the city via the bus which runs each 1/2 hour. No delays getting in or out, which should alone save you the time of LGA's shorter trip to the big apple. Plus I make it out there about once or twice a week, and wouldn't mind meeting up with you.

Ben,

I know you're planning LGA, and that's OK. For the landing fee & fuel costs, especially during "rush" hours, I think that you could land at Teterboro and hire a limo into the city. From TEB to midtown it's about the same time as coming in from LGA (possible exception morning rush if the Lincoln tunnel is backed up).

TEB is a nightmare with the rush hour biz jet crowd. I've heard of as much as 45 min. ground holds for light ac. They don't like light pistons too much there. KCDW almost as close, much much better times in and out. (Plus the bus ride to KCDW quicker and nicer than the one to KTEB.)

infotango said:
TEB is a nightmare with the rush hour biz jet crowd. I've heard of as much as 45 min. ground holds for light ac. They don't like light pistons too much there. KCDW almost as close, much much better times in and out. (Plus the bus ride to KCDW quicker and nicer than the one to KTEB.)

I've flown into TEB many times in my Tiger and have always had a good experience. Millionaire has been relatively cost effective and provided good service. Another option for NYC is Linden.

The person I am picking up is in Flushing. I am now thinking maybe we should goto FRG. The 30 or 40 minute drive might be worth it if there is no long wait at FRG. Anyone have experience there?

wangmyers said:
The person I am picking up is in Flushing. I am now thinking maybe we should goto FRG. The 30 or 40 minute drive might be worth it if there is no long wait at FRG. Anyone have experience there?

I used FRG last year to attend a concert @ Jones Beach. Nice airport..easy highway and LIRR access.

Getting in and out wasn't much of a problem. Less traffic than TEB and it is on the correct side of town for Flushing.

Also, HPN is 3 miles closer to Flushing...so there is another alternative. I've had very good luck flying into HPN and using Panorama as the FBO.

Good Luck!

Greg

ggroves said:
Also, HPN is 3 miles closer to Flushing...so there is another alternative. I've had very good luck flying into HPN and using Panorama as the FBO.
Hey Ben,

As the others have said, try and find an alternative to LGA. FRG is nice, but HPN may be better for you and closer to Flushing as Greg said. TEB can get busy at times (as well as HPN), but the flow seems to really work well at HPN.

From your direction (SW), if you fly up VFR, you can try asking NY for a class B clearance northbound up the Hudson up to Tappanzee, direct HPN. It will roughly put you on a straight in for 11, or a right d/w for 16, or a left d/w for 34 and allow a FANTASTIC view of
Manhattan up the Hudson. :-D

If you plan on flying into HPN, send me a PM and we can meet up if you have time.

Last edited:
Ben,
I use FRG and ISP quite a bit. I think you would be a bit better off going to FRG but it has it's troubles too. Depending on the time of day (and the day) FRG can be as busy as anywhere else in the Metro. IFR departures can be a real chore coming out of there as it is right in the way of ISP, JFK and LGA arrivals. If you can be flexable, a VFR departure "down the shore" below the Bravo can be a handy tool but you'll need to have a plan in mind before you just "wing it" so to speak. The ramp space at FRG can get pretty tight at times and taxiways are basically painted lines on the asphalt. Don't expect to see any great expanses of grass between taxiways and runways. Certainly not a TEB, definately not a LGA but there are some snags. Have fun.

At FRG, use Long Island Jet at the north end -- great folks, great service. Their radio is 130.2, IIRC.

Ron Levy said:
At FRG, use Long Island Jet at the north end -- great folks, great service. Their radio is 130.2, IIRC.
Thank you--I will remember that.

Back