Flying to KORD

Jmatalon

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Joey
I like flying my Cardinal to big airports. I've g EWR, JFK, IAD, PHL in my logbook,and am planning on ORD this weekend. Can anyone tell me what I might expect at O'Hare? Special routing, taxi instrutions, etc.?

Go IFR, go late at night, call first and don't be a jerk, it is busy and the heavy iron that is flying there and is burning $$$ and you are a tourist.

Be ready for fast talking on the radio, be prepared for keeping speed up, bring cash, check or money order for the landing and handling fees.

Grant: You've flown GA in there, anything else?

ORD is a great field with help full controllers. Signature is okay with expensive gas. New FBO with nice facilities.

Ground control gets machine gun quick during bank. Know the flow and it helps. They have two taxi ways the go around the terminal. One goes one way and the other goes the other. Knowing that will help. Also, if you NEED to talk to ground and can't get a word in just stop the plane and he WILL call you!

Lots of hot spots around too where lots of taxiways intersect with multiple runways.

Normally they land on east west and takeoff on the corners. Have fun.

An Airnav post lists the fees for a C172. It looks like the cheapest you can land and get in and out of the FBO is $56.

Last edited:
When you're ready to depart, your departure runway will be determined by your direction of flight. Depending on the runway configuration in use, that might entail a long taxi to the end of a long line, especially if you're IFR. On some configurations, they'll literally taxi you to the other end of the airport. Operationally, there are very valid reasons for them to do this-- but it's damn inconvenient for you.

If it's VFR, there's an easy workaround: "Request VFR clearance out of the Class B at or below 1800. I'd prefer southwest bound (or whatever) but I'll take whatever will get me out of here quickest."

They'll take you to the nearest runway they can, launch you in whatever direction is convenient for them, and in five miles you'll be out of their airspace. 1800 feet is a good altitude all over Chicagoland as long as you maintain the appropriate distance from the towered airports and don't run into one of the downtown buildings.

You'll get 27 R into Signature.( C1,C ,U ,U2 cross 14L,F1, WT, V ) The west ground control 124.12 is nothing special..its the east side ( which I got when I left in a bonanza )that is "fast" .

You will have to call ground metering on 121.67 , they will tell you when to monitor 121.75 for taxi instructions..

In rapid fire voice "Bonanza 1BF Runway 22L Tango Tango Mike Mike cross 27L Hotel Alpha bridge Alpha17 behind American onto Delta cross the pad tower 132.75 "
no problem Im based /work here ....but If I was unfamiliar certainly can be a tall order taxing at ORD..just be ready to write it down and expect some seemingly non standard terminology/communication. All big airports have their own procedures. You will have fun! Enjoy it but pay attention and keep it moving.

Btw watch out for airliners (especially foreign ones taxing) not on the same freq. When taxing..if it seems they are not stopping for you its because they are not!

I paid $125 to overnight a bonanza there last summer when I chose to fly myself to work.

Last edited:
Thanks all for your replies. I will let you know how it goes.
Taters, how likely is it that I'll get 27R? What if the wind is strongly favoring another runway? Or do they always land East-West?

Thanks all for your replies. I will let you know how it goes.
Taters, how likely is it that I'll get 27R? What if the wind is strongly favoring another runway? Or do they always land East-West?

85% it will be 27R/9L
10% it is 9r
5% something else
..landing west is the preferred set up while departing 22L 32L/T10

I'm back from KORD. The landing runway was 28R. One or two planes behind me had to go around because I was just too slow for them. Departing, ATC kept changing the assigned runway as I taxied. Eventually they gave me a spot on 4R and I was off over the lake. tHe hardest part was keeping track of the taxi instructions. Fortunately my son was with me following along on the airport diagram and helped direct me. Thanks to all for your help.

It's like that numbnuts up in New York who takes rich clients on NY Airport tours - JFK/LGA/EWR - what a butthead. You caused TWO airliiners to go around at how many thousands of dollars so you can put ORD in your logbook?

Did any of those pax miss their connections?

Lord thats selfish . . .

It's like that numbnuts up in New York who takes rich clients on NY Airport tours - JFK/LGA/EWR - what a butthead. You caused TWO airliiners to go around at how many thousands of dollars so you can put ORD in your logbook?

Lord thats selfish . . .

Sorry. Airspace, is airspace. Unless it's a Lifeguard flight no one should be getting priority over others. If the other planes had to go around, that's ATC's issue in not slowing them down further out since they accepted him into the system.

Sorry. Airspace, is airspace. Unless it's a Lifeguard flight no one should be getting priority over others. If the other planes had to go around, that's ATC's issue in not slowing them down further out since they accepted him into the system.

ok- you are on a flight to go a funeral, some 'pilot exercising his airspace freedom' decides he wants to put ORD in his logbook - you miss your connection and since its summer you sit at ORD for three banks of connections . . .

Or, you are going to a meeting that is important for your business - and important to feed, clothe and house your family, and you miss your connection.

Sorry - 'tis selfish, unnecessary and disrespectful of others - especially if you are not going to ORD but just going for a touch and go essentially.

Pavement is Pavement - should not matter if you land at RD. MDW or Joliet . . .

ok- you are on a flight to go a funeral, some 'pilot exercising his airspace freedom' decides he wants to put ORD in his logbook - you miss your connection and since its summer you sit at ORD for three banks of connections . . .

Or, you are going to a meeting that is important for your business - and important to feed, clothe and house your family, and you miss your connection.

Sorry - 'tis selfish, unnecessary and disrespectful of others - especially if you are not going to ORD but just going for a touch and go essentially.

Perhaps it would have been helpful to mention these concerns before he went to ORD?

Other than that, having landed a CAP 182 at Moffett Field, I have to agree that pavement is pavement.

I fly in and out of ORD for a living. Thing is, O'Hare is a public use, public paid for (for the most part) airport. I do not begrudge ANYONE to exercise their rights to fly into O'Hare for WHATEVER reason.

If TWO airplanes had to go around, seems like a controller issue.

As it is, if one wants to go into O'Hare, one should be on their A Game.

Disagree. My dad lives in Atlanta. WHEN (Lawd knows when that will be?...) I fly there, I will full stop at KPDK, but you can bet your booties I will add KATL to my logbook. I have the same right to be there as the airliners.

You misunderstand - what you can do and should do are two different things.

Yeah, ok, a controller misjudged the speed that the OP here could fly his airplane to land - that is the controllers problem with the consequences to 240 other people.

I'm not saying that one should not go to a large airport if they have the skills for it - and the reason to go - sure - taxpayer funded airports etc etc etc. I fund the White House and Congress too and they're not going to let me just come in and wander around a little while - well - maybe Congress - but not all of it.

It just seems incredibly selfish to me [see that to me part?] to blunder around CLass B airspace and delay 250 people and cost an airline $2000 so you can add three letters to a logbook.

You can disagree - its ok. I'm not going to get angry at anyone. . . .

**** happens. Sorry, but it's no different than if someone is using a public road, and being 100% legal causes a backup. Wide load trucks come to mind. They got a permit to use the road, just like he got permission to land. Sorry but if you want it to be all about you, then private airplanes and private airports it is.

If it's that important that your family starves, maybe you shouldn't have cut it so close. When I travel on the airlines for business, I schedule it to be there at least a day early.

Then I don't ever want to see you go on vacation, anywhere. If pavement is pavement, then a bed is a bed, water is water, and a city is a city. If you want to go to the beach, then truck in some sand to your back yard, and install a kiddie pool. After all, sand is sand.

I fly in and out of ORD for a living. Thing is, O'Hare is a public use, public paid for (for the most part) airport. I do not begrudge ANYONE to exercise their rights to fly into O'Hare for WHATEVER reason.

And maybe go in something faster than a Cardinal. They don't allow motorcycles under 125cc on the interstate, I think if you can't keep a minimum speed up on approach maybe you shouldn't be allowed in.

And maybe go in something faster than a Cardinal. They don't allow motorcycles under 125cc on the interstate, I think if you can't keep a minimum speed up on approach maybe you shouldn't be allowed in.

I respect your opinion. But I don't agree.

Go for it! If it's a goal of yours and you want the challenge, make the most of it.

Personally the amount of experince flying into ORD would be something I would hold onto for a long time!

I don't give a **** what others think especially when I have paid a portion of my income in one form or fashion to somethings existence.

KUDOS!

I respect your opinion. But I don't agree.

I don't really see the difference between no mopeds on the interstate and no Cubs into ORD. If you want to ride on the interstate, then drive a vehicle capable of keeping up. If you want to fly into ORD, then fly a vehicle capable of keeping up. I know it's possible to be a slippery slope, but the issue at the Bs is speed. Either fly it at Vne-1 or rent something that will not get you run over.

I'm back from KORD. The landing runway was 28R. One or two planes behind me had to go around because I was just too slow for them. Departing, ATC kept changing the assigned runway as I taxied. Eventually they gave me a spot on 4R and I was off over the lake. tHe hardest part was keeping track of the taxi instructions. Fortunately my son was with me following along on the airport diagram and helped direct me. Thanks to all for your help.

Did you leave mid afternoon yesterday from ORD..I think I taxied right past you. Glad you did it...don't worry about the go-arounds that controllers a total wank to land you on 28R..that's on him all the way not you. Hope you had fun

Go for it! If it's a goal of yours and you want the challenge, make the most of it.

Personally the amount of experince flying into ORD would be something I would hold onto for a long time!

I don't give a **** what others think especially when I have paid a portion of my income in one form or fashion to somethings existence.

KUDOS!

So you think you should be able to ride a moped on the interstate?

Lord thats selfish . . .

Sorry but first come first serve applies to any public use airport...not a damn thing wrong at all with it...pistons fly in there daily....the controller is the numbnutz for landing him on 28R a "main" runway...not to mention there is a separation waiver at ORD so it's already nose to tail on the approach anyway...only takes one guy to not promptly comply with a speed and its asses and elbows.

Last edited:
Yup. But this is the first post where you said that.

Actually - no its not. Perhaps in this thread . . . On this and the Red Board when people have suggested doing stunts like this - wasting the time of others - its seems selfish to me. I have expressed it. I thought about commenting - but it would just create the shlt storm that it does . . . .

When Bob whatever his last name was [is] doing those IFR adventures into the NY area airports - I'm sorry - you need to go to NYC GA in a single engine piston, don't go to JFK or LGA in the middle of the day during the week. . .. just for the sake of doing it.

You have business in Queens - ok - go into LGa just don't complain about the delays and the cost. You have business in Newark, ok, guess MMU or CDW ot even TEB isn't good enough - go into EWR in your single engine piston. Hey - there IS A reason for it when Signature is having $1 off weekends for 100LL.

Different people have different ideas - its ok - it is why we have Coke and Pepsi, Diet and Regular, Cessna and Piper. I respect your different opinion - I'm not calling anyone stupid any silly names because you disagree with me - its ok. Cool. Lets chat civilly. We have been. EdFred might be right at the end of the day with his really harsh conclusions but when you know you caused two airliners to go around - thats bad juju for GA.

Look, I am going to be one of the first ones to say that if you don't have a good reason to fly into ORD, DON'T GO.

Having said that, it is a publicly funded, public use airport and if someone wants to land at ORD just to say he did it, he is well within his rights to do so.

Last edited:
Look, I am going to be one of the first ones to say that if you don't have a good reason to fly into ORD, DON'T GO.

Then we agree . . .

my comments were not about his right to do so - and I do not disagree with any one who claims he has a 100% right to do so.

I'm talking about the community we live in . . .

I would happily agree that sending ONE airplane around in a chain is bad controller - sending the second one around is bad pilot.

There is ZERO reason why you cannot keep a Cardinal at 120kias until over the over the threshold. This would result in what? A 10-20 knots overtake?

Having a reallyreallyreally good reason to land at ORD is one thing. But just to say "woo wee..I landed my 172 at ord yippe yippe yea" is crazy. It surprises me that an airline pilot would encourage that.;) ATC there would be quick to make an example of them if he f'd up I'm sure.

Anyway, a United pilot I know said a few years ago there is a lull around 2am and that would be the best time if it was something on your bucket list. I don't plan on it unless some reason came up.

Just keep the speed up - problem solved, everyone's happy.

Just keep the speed up - problem solved, everyone's happy.

Agreed. I've taken an SR20 into PHL at 120kts to short final, and a 172 into TPA at 115kts to short final with a Southwest 737 bearing down on me, with no problems. At the Class B airports, one can't fly typical pattern speeds...it's pedal to the metal for as long as you can.

I friend of mine is a controller at ORD. He thinks it's great for the little guys to come in there and encourages it. Based on conversation with him I'm certain he would squarely be in the "the controller screwed up if jets had to go-around" camp.

Actually - no its not. Perhaps in this thread . . . On this and the Red Board when people have suggested doing stunts like this - wasting the time of others - its seems selfish to me. I have expressed it. I thought about commenting - but it would just create the shlt storm that it does . . . .

When Bob whatever his last name was [is] doing those IFR adventures into the NY area airports - I'm sorry - you need to go to NYC GA in a single engine piston, don't go to JFK or LGA in the middle of the day during the week. . .. just for the sake of doing it.

You have business in Queens - ok - go into LGa just don't complain about the delays and the cost. You have business in Newark, ok, guess MMU or CDW ot even TEB isn't good enough - go into EWR in your single engine piston. Hey - there IS A reason for it when Signature is having $1 off weekends for 100LL.

Different people have different ideas - its ok - it is why we have Coke and Pepsi, Diet and Regular, Cessna and Piper. I respect your different opinion - I'm not calling anyone stupid any silly names because you disagree with me - its ok. Cool. Lets chat civilly. We have been. EdFred might be right at the end of the day with his really harsh conclusions but when you know you caused two airliners to go around - thats bad juju for GA.
FWIW, I have to agree with you.

I like landing at large airports as much as anyone. Plenty of KCLT ops, a KDFW, and a KMIA. The right to land at any public airport is in my estimation, a privilege, and not one to be abused. (If you feel compelled to explain the distinction between "rights" and "privileges", please don't.)

Talking about, "it's my right and I'll exercise it as I please" is fine, but it's also a bit juvenile. Carry on.

KORD, KJFK, and KLGA are special places. So special, BUSY that is, that perhaps flying there to just be able to add them to your GA log book is understandable. So okay, I get it. Enjoy it if that's what twists your flying nut. But I hope few people feel so inclined. Fortunately, high fees will discourage most.

I say save the right for when you need it to pick up that special passenger or make an important appointment. Or when it's just your preferred airport, fees, prices and all.

Me? I have personal business in Queens about 500 yards from KLGA's boundaries. The best way for me to get there is KHPN via Panorama. Why? Good GA oriented service at a good GA oriented airport.

Back