Flying to KDPA tomorrow...anything I should know?

kujo806

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kujo806
The weather appears to finally be cooperating. I am planning to go visit the family by air tomorrow. I will have my wife and baby with me flying from KCID. I have not flown into too many busy areas so far (KCID isn't very busy for a class C). I did fly into Clow last summer, but that wasn't too busy. Anything I should know? I am guessing it will be pretty straight forward. I have the taxi diagram ready to go. I have heard that the locals call in over the "covered racetrack" and report over the river. Anything I should know about parking overnight?

The weather appears to finally be cooperating. I am planning to go visit the family by air tomorrow. I will have my wife and baby with me flying from KCID. I have not flown into too many busy areas so far (KCID isn't very busy for a class C). I did fly into Clow last summer, but that wasn't too busy. Anything I should know? I am guessing it will be pretty straight forward. I have the taxi diagram ready to go. I have heard that the locals call in over the "covered racetrack" and report over the river. Anything I should know about parking overnight?

If you operate out of a Class C then you're going to be fine. You know the rules for flying in protected airspace like B and C. DPA is in an outer ring of KORD so you'll be under that. Requesting flight following probably won't buy you much as when you get close enough to DPA to want it, they will almost always cancel it. If you are instrument rated, file. It's good practice and will keep you in contact.

The covered race track is on the TAC and you can view it on google here: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=41.926021,-88.493739&num=1&t=h&z=16

We do use it as a landmark, but it's not mandatory. Tell them you're 10 to the west and they'll usually put you on a leg for some runway with a "report the river" instruction. Here's a view with the river in question: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=41.9...8.265705&spn=0.077674,0.150375&num=1&t=h&z=13

You'll notice that it's about two miles from the airport. Occasionally the controller will say "report two miles" instead.

If you end up approaching from the northwest you might get "report the bend in the river". This is that: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=41.968168,-88.303325&num=1&t=h&z=13

Self fuel is about 50 cents cheaper than the truck, but is all the way on the north end of the airport. If you're transient you'll be parking at the flight center, a long taxi and a hot start away from the fuel pumps.

Last edited:
I agree with RW2. The covered racetrack is a good call in point, but not mandatory. The tower is usually very accommodating, thankfully since I learned there, and usually not that busy. Just watch the class C ring and no issues. DKB has cheaper gas than DPA, DPA has self service and fuel trucks if you don't want to hop over.

Thanks for the feedback. I will probably only get fuel if they waive some fees, otherwise, I will have plenty for the return. Sounds pretty straight forward. I am looking forward to the flight.

Watch ORD Bravo and depending on where you fly there are lots of large towers. As always be vigilant. There should be lots of traffic this weekend.

Great flying to Chicago this weekend! It was very easy, and the Dupage Flight Service was great. Thanks for all the input.

when i checked they were reasonable and waived one nights charges with purchase of fuel. However if you can go down the road a bit south, Aurora airport, was the most reasonable costs in area when I went.

Thanks for the feedback. I will probably only get fuel if they waive some fees, otherwise, I will have plenty for the return. Sounds pretty straight forward. I am looking forward to the flight.

Back