Flying to Dry Tortuga?

JC150

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JC150
I did some searching on this forum about flying to Dry Tortuga from Key West, and while I understand that you need to file a DVFR, I'm wondering if you have to file an E-APIS also since you're leaving the ADIZ?

Is there anyway to go IFR or do you have to go VFR to Dry Tortuga?

Since I'd be flying outside the ADIZ, does the FAA still have jurisdiction and enforce part 91? My question is regarding the 1000ft rule while circling over the fort and cloud separation minimas while en-route.

Is there anything I'm missing besides the DVFR flight plan to make the trip?

Thanks

I did some searching on this forum about flying to Dry Tortuga from Key West, and while I understand that you need to file a DVFR, I'm wondering if you have to file an E-APIS also since you're leaving the ADIZ?

Since I'd be flying outside the ADIZ, does the FAA still have jurisdiction and enforce part 91? My question is regarding the 1000ft rule while circling over the fort and cloud separation minimas while en-route.

Is there anything I'm missing besides the DVFR flight plan to make the trip?

Thanks

Call flight service, I haven't done it in many years, but to do the out and back from EYW didn't used to take anything.

As for the 1000' rule, that would be the National Parks Service coming after you, however the FAA has jurisdiction over you as an FAA certified pilot flying an N tail plane anywhere in the world. Others may also get jurisdiction over you, but the FAA never gives up their's.

E-APIS is required only for international flights. Dry Tortuga is still part of the USA.

Dry Tortuga is still part of the USA, so Part 91 still applies. Further, Dry Tortuga and the waters around it are part of a National Park, so any and all National Park Service restrictions apply, too.

If you need further assistance, I'd suggest calling the folks at Key West Seaplane Charters, as they fly out there every day and probably know the rules, procedures, and best techniques better than anyone else around.

It looks to me like you've entered the ADIZ there, and are flying inside it for the vast majority of the time.

As Dry Tortuga is instead national park, isn't 2000ft the minimum altitude? (It's the "requested" minimum, at least)

Back