Flying to Des Moines

Probably depends on what you are trying to do. Services / fuel are pricy at DSM, but it isn't that busy. The charlie airspace around here is easy to fly in.

Des Moines is a slow class "C". Very accommodating to small planes. Either airport works, like said it depends on if you need services, car rental, ext.

Probably depends on what you are trying to do. Services / fuel are pricy at DSM, but it isn't that busy. The charlie airspace around here is easy to fly in.

Just visiting grandma for the weekend. Hah. Both are pretty much equal distance and both have expensive 100LL so I'll fill up elsewhere. Just need a courtesy car so I can get to grandmas and get her car. Didn't think DSM was that busy. Any ramp fees or landing fees you aware of?

Just visiting grandma for the weekend. Hah. Both are pretty much equal distance and both have expensive 100LL so I'll fill up elsewhere. Just need a courtesy car so I can get to grandmas and get her car. Didn't think DSM was that busy. Any ramp fees or landing fees you aware of?

Just the fuel prices. ;)

Call and ask to make sure. I bought fuel there so they didn't bring up a ramp fee.

Nice of you to visit grandma BTW. :D

Anybody familiar with area? Debating btwn dsm and Kikv.

It's been several years, but we stopped at KDSM on our way back east, and Elliott Aviation took great care of us. There was a pretty good restaurant at the nearby hotel as well.

JKG

IIRC, DSM has a ramp fee, but it's waived if you buy fuel. $100/night if you need to put the plane in a hangar. Fuel was the typical 'towered airport' premium price (~$2 more per gallon than local prices). Call ahead and ask. Elliot and DSM ATC is small-plane friendly.

IKV is also easy - land, tie down, and leave. Never bought fuel there before.

Not sure about courtesy car at either place - we always have someone picking us up. DSM is more likely to have rental cars available if necessary.

Anybody familiar with area? Debating btwn dsm and Kikv.
I've been to both many times. The only reason I would go to IKV over DSM is if I'm in the Flybaby (no transponder).

Elliot Aviation at DSM provides good service and the ramp fee is so minimal I can't even remember what it costs (very little) and is waived with a fuel purchase. The controllers are accommodating.

Back